PDA

View Full Version : Troops May Be Tried If Using Prostitutes

Sgt Sostand
09-22-04, 02:45 PM
WASHINGTON - U.S. troops stationed overseas could face a court martial for patronizing prostitutes under a new regulation drafted by the Pentagon.

The move is part of a Defense Department effort to lessen the possibility that troops will contribute to human trafficking in areas near their overseas bases by seeking the services of women forced into prostitution.

In recent years, "women and girls are being forced into prostitution for a clientele consisting largely of military services members, government contractors and international peacekeepers" in places like South Korea and the Balkans, Rep. Christopher Smith, R-N.J., said Tuesday at a Capitol Hill forum on Pentagon anti-trafficking efforts.

Defense officials have drafted an amendment to the manual on courts martial that would make it an offense for U.S. troops to use the services of prostitutes, said Charles Abell, a Pentagon undersecretary for personnel and readiness.

If approved, that would make it a military offense under the Uniform Code of Military Justice to have contact with a prostitute, Lt. Col. Ellen Krenke, an Abell spokeswoman said later. The draft rule is open to 60 days public comment after being published in the Federal Register, she said.

Officials also are developing a training program for troops and contractors, to be distributed in November. The program will explain trafficking, department policy on it and possible legal action against violators, Abell said in a written statement.

Additionally, the military is reviewing regulations and procedures for placing off-limits those businesses where such activities take place and working with Justice Department officials to tighten rules on contractor misconduct.

Gen. Leon J. LaPorte, commander of the 37,000 U.S. troops in South Korea, said another initiative started on the peninsula has been to "make on-base military life a more desirable experience, and attempt to diminish the seductive appeal of many of the less wholesome off-duty pursuits."

That effort includes offering expanded evening and weekend education programs, band concerts, late-night sports leagues and expanded chaplains' activities.

All new arrivals to duty in Korea are given prostitution and human trafficking awareness and the military is working with Korean law enforcement agencies, he said.

"In spite of all these efforts, we know that there are still some U.S. service members, Department of Defense civilians and contractor personnel who may continue to contact prostitutes and, thereby, be construed as supporting human trafficking," LaPorte said.

NATO officials in July outlined new guidelines adopted to ensure alliance peacekeepers do not encourage sex trafficking gangs by seeking the services of women forced into prostitution.

The rules follows accusations from human rights groups that NATO peacekeepers and civilian staff working for international organizations had fueled the growth of sexual slavery in the Balkans.

HardJedi
09-22-04, 02:56 PM
lord, our troops are DYING overseas, and some fool is worried about where they get a little action.

No, I am not a big supporter of prostitution, but neither am I all that against it.

How about we focus on REAL problems FACING our troops instead of waisting brain sweat and resources on this trash?

Osotogary
09-22-04, 03:47 PM
Say what you will about the French but the French Army hired (contracted) pleasure women to accompany them during their campaigns...at least they did awhile back. Hygiene was always a top priority and the pay was suppose to be good.
For what it is worth I know of no written history that would indicate that any battles were won the next day after a moment or two of commercial bliss the night before.

MillRatUSMC
09-22-04, 03:57 PM
Who going to enforce this lunacy?
Inquiring minds want to know.
I go along with HardJedi;
lord, our troops are DYING overseas, and some fool is worried about where they get a little action.

No, I am not a big supporter of prostitution, but neither am I all that against it.

How about we focus on REAL problems FACING our troops instead of waisting brain sweat and resources on this trash!

Somebody in the Pentagon, has too much time on their hands.
It's going to be hard to enforce human nature...
LUNACY...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo
Somebody

hrscowboy
09-22-04, 04:07 PM
What a freekin waste of time.. Here we are having a war going on and troops everywhere on everybase and now someone comes up with hair brain idea like this.. millratusmc your right someone has too much time on there hands and are thinking up something to do. Sounds like somebodys wife was cheated on in another country and she wants it stopped for all other wifes? hahaha

CPLRapoza
09-22-04, 04:32 PM
It's a freakin female heading this bloody operation. Maybe because she didn't get enough, and got tossed to the side for a beautiful prostitute in her day, so she's decided to get us guys back for it now.

CPLRapoza
09-22-04, 04:34 PM
This was actually a problem befor ethe war broke out. Alot of news agencies were even covering it. What was happening was alot of service members were feeling sympythetic and getting them out of there. Obviously this is a problem, on both side, but it's still a bunch of BS.

Sparrowhawk
09-22-04, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Osotogary
Say what you will about the French but the French Army hired (contracted) pleasure women to accompany them during their campaigns...at least they did awhile back. Hygiene was always a top priority and the pay was suppose to be good.

We'll just have them come on base. We used to have a guy in the platoon that got a cut for making those arrangements, to have them come to the fence at the edge of the perimeter. ... LOL

I guess it also cost more then $5.00 now?

hrscowboy
09-22-04, 05:01 PM
dang cook you got robbed brother if you payed that much.....

hrscowboy
09-23-04, 01:56 AM
woooooooooooooooos me what a marine to do on liberty now..