PDA

View Full Version : A little help?

LivinSoFree
09-21-04, 10:31 AM
Marines, young and old, I'm in need of some guidance. This past May, I shipped to the Island for three months of blood sweat and tears. This past August, I returned home, a United States Marine. Now I'm on duty as a reservist, drilling once a month in Greensboro, North Carolina, while attending school full time at UNC-Chapel Hill. My problem is this: the "pull" hasn't gone away. I thought that perhaps by pulling reserve duty for a few years, I'd be able to temporarily numb the pull of going active duty until I finished college, but even now, I can't seem to shake it. I find myself waiting for every drill weekend, just to get a fix, for lack of a better term, and school just doesn't really seem that important while Marines are getting shot at halfway around the world. Anyone here ever have a similar experience, or can offer some advice to the younger generation of the Corps? Thanks in advance...

Meyer

yellowwing
09-21-04, 10:55 AM
It sounds like you already made a commitment about college. That's good. Very good. Perhaps OCS is part of that? Chesty was a Mustang.

In the mean time I bet you can bug the local Recruiter or the NROTC Gunny about getting involved in projects. Initiative.

Be the best prepared and squared away Marine for your drills.

Semper Fi!

awb5711
09-21-04, 12:33 PM
Young Devil....this thing is going to be going on for many years to come....finish school....the war will still be here when you get done.

mrbsox
09-21-04, 08:54 PM
Just a couple more cents in the pot, as it were !!

YOU made the call to keep school in your future.
You made a good call.
YOU made the call to become one of the few.
You made a good call.

Now, follow thru !! Complete the mission !!

The Corps will be there. You will be there.
IF the Corps needs your experience, you can bet your a$$ they'll call. In the mean time, get your schooln' in, so you can be a BIGGER asset when they do call.

You can get your 'fix' EVERY DAY, the MARINE CORPS way. Wear spitshine (no Fkn Corfram) to school, STARCH everything (but skivies), no irish pennants on your stuff, straight A's all the way....
You get the idea.
Being the best, goes PAST the uniform. It's a life style, a commitment, even an edge over the next guy. Help your fellow students be better. Use this time to learn to be a Mentor, a leader, the 'go to' guy.

Complete your mission :marine:

Semper Fi