PDA

View Full Version : Hey! Sparrowhawk!

HardJedi
09-20-04, 08:37 PM
Ya know, I am just feeling kinda mishievious tonight, so, all in good fun, I thought I'd point something out.

You know your sig line? " Historians will say that I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heros?"

and then you attribute it to Wiliam Wallace, in the Movie Braveheart?

Well, and i am just nitpicking to be a pain in the butt, and it is , as I said, all in good fun, BUT!.

William Wallace did not say that. Robert The Bruce said it. He was the one who narrorated the movie. :)

I have know this for a long time, and have often debated if I should say something about it or not.

Heck, probably SHOULDN'T have said anything, but I just felt likeplaying around tonight,. and didn't feel like discussing the presidential race, or war, or anything serious.
So like I said, nothing personal, just HAD to find someone to pick on who I didn't think would take it personal! LOL

:D

Semper Fi:

thedrifter
09-20-04, 08:42 PM
He's Hiding....;)

I haven't seen him in awhile...

Cook come on out someone wants to play....:D

Ellie

MillRatUSMC
09-21-04, 01:28 AM
This saves me making a new tread...
http://www.donbendell.com/index.html
SparrowHawk, you'll love what this SF Army Officer has to say about John Forbes Kerry.
Wrote 12 editorials...
Much of what he says, I can live with...he deals with the actions John Forbes Kerry did after Vietnam...these we can call him on.
About the disinformation on the President George W. Bush, it seem to me on the same level of the disinformation by the swiftboat veteran's site.
It brings to mind actions of years past even if it stretches the "truth" whatever that might be.
Pray for 2 November 2004...hope we never see an election like this one.
All these actions remind me of "Tricky Dickie" and the "plumbers of Watergate ill-fame".
I was seeing pictures of Presidents that were lying and their facial expressions.
Many have stretch the "truth"...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

SparrowHawk!
Come out from wherever your hiding!

HardJedi
09-21-04, 08:37 PM
come on! no respone Sparrowhawk? LOL:banana:

thedrifter
09-21-04, 08:48 PM
He is afraid of me.....LMAO....

Ellie

HardJedi
09-21-04, 08:50 PM
well, it's a wise man who IS afraid of a woman. LOL, I live in fear of em every day myself, specially the SMART ones LOL:banana:

Sparrowhawk
09-21-04, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by HardJedi
" Historians will say that I am a liar, but history is written by those who have hanged heros?"

:D

Semper Fi:

Hey, it's my signature,

GOSH DARN those historians.. see how they are...

Robert Bruce is surely the greatest of all the great Scottish heroes, yet the Hollywood movie Braveheart gave all the heroics to his compatriot William Wallace, making Bruce out to be nothing more than a self-serving opportunist.

However, it was the patience and cunning of Bruce that Scotland needed, not the impetuousness of Wallace, especially facing such formidable enemies as the English, first under Edward I and then under his son and heir Edward II. Bruce bided his time; he first had to establish his authority as King of Scotland. By the time of Bannockburn, he was ready.

If Robert Bruce had done no more than defy the power of King Edward, restore the Scottish monarchy and win at Bannockburn, he would still be listed among the giants, but he did more. His view of his nation was truly international. Under the rule of the one who was later to be known as "Good King Robert," Scotland had become the first nation state in Europe, the first to have territorial unity under a single king. Contained in the Declaration of Arbroath of 1320 was a letter to the Pope, who had excommunicated everyone in Scotland unless they swore allegiance to Edward II (such were the ways of medieval popes). In the letter, signed by representatives from all classes of Scots society, it was stated that since ancient times the Scots had been free to choose their own kings, a freedom that was a gift from God. And so it was, but a gift that had needed a Robert Bruce to deliver.

But no one knows who Robert Bruce is... Gosh darn Movie script writers...

HardJedi

Where did you find where that saying is attributed to Bruce?

And I'll give the old fart the credit.. LOL

Cook

HardJedi
09-21-04, 08:56 PM
Well, I have seen that movie at LEAST 300 times. I watch it almost every night( after all, Robert the Bruce is a distant anscestor of mine, on the maternal side) Plus, that's just a kick ass movie.

so it's not that I find it attributed to him, it's just that it's HIS voice narrorating the movie! :)

Sparrowhawk
09-21-04, 09:43 PM
that and Jeremiah Johnson.

Guess I'll watch Braveheart tonight...

LOL

HardJedi
09-22-04, 03:03 PM
so did ya watch it? was I right?

Osotogary
09-22-04, 03:33 PM
Sparrowhawk,
Awhile back I mentioned that I had read a book about "Liver eating Johnson" aka Jeremiah Johnson. He passed on down around your neck of the woods in a Veterans Home. He was able to be admitted because, I believe, he fought for the Union during the Civil War out of Colorado. I believe one of the Vaqueros who helped him out during a tussle also lived in and around the Los Angeles area. If you want I will do some searching and find the book and its proper title. I will then get back to you. Perhaps I can get you a copy.
Gary

vance
09-22-04, 03:49 PM
" Braveheart " also one of my favorite movies . Robert the Bruce was an excellent king . I helped my son write a paper on him for school.

Sparrowhawk
09-22-04, 04:45 PM
I have been looking for a book, any book on Jeremiah Johnson and have had no luck.

HardJedi

didn't see the movie, I was vetoed by wife and daughters who wanted to see the angels game...

Isn't this home suppose to be a man's castle?

HardJedi
09-22-04, 05:39 PM
well, at least they wanted sports. Hell around here, all women want to watch is " queer eye for the straight guy" or " trading spaces "

Osotogary
09-22-04, 08:15 PM
Sparrowhawk,

I can't believe I just found a copy of the book. the name of the the book is titled: Crow Killer by Raymond W. Thorpe and Robert Bunker. It is a Signet Book from New American Library.

The last paragraphs in the book reads as follows:

If Johnson could never live in a crowd, he was buried in one.To find the last resting place of the Crow Killer, the White Chief of the Shoshoni, the curious must drive from Los Angeles westward on Wilshire Boulevard, through Beverly Hills, pastWestwood and the Country Club, and right on Sepulveda (a good name that: Big Anton's) ; half a mile alng Sepulveda is the Cemetary's gate.
Johnson's section of the emetary is "San Juan Hill". Here are tombstones marching in all directions, down into the little valley and up into the little hills in what seem unending rows. There are no cairns here, such as Johnsonhelped build for Mad Mose or Bear Claw Chris Lapp, or such as his friends the Crows built for Crazy Woman. Dapiek Absaroka is in row "D", and the "tenderfoots"who walk past on their way to decorate other graves see no stakes round him, with grinning skulls. The second stone from the road (thar's no more trails) bears theabbreviated inscription,
Jno. Johnston
Co. H
2nd. Colo. Cav.

Hope this does it for you. I got lucky and didn't throw this copy away, although I had a dickens of a time finding it. Crud, i almost had to rearrange the garage. LOL
If you want I will send it to you. No problem. Just say the word.

Gary

Sparrowhawk
09-22-04, 08:57 PM
That would be great. I would love to read it.

And after reading the book, I will visit his gravesite and honor the Crow killer that loved to live alone with the bears and the coyotes and no women around.

Osotogary
09-22-04, 09:12 PM
Sparrowhawk,
Jeremiah was married to a Native American. She and the fetus she was carrying were killed by the Crows . Thus began Liver-eater's revenge and legend.