PDA

View Full Version : Reclaiming stolen honor this election year.

thedrifter
09-20-04, 01:54 PM
September 20, 2004, 8:58 a.m. <br />
“Seared in My Memory” <br />
Reclaiming stolen honor this election year. <br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
John Kerry's decision to run for president on his record in Vietnam has ripped the scab off of...

thedrifter
09-20-04, 01:55 PM
My skepticism about the WSI was further strengthened by the publication of Stolen Valor by B. G. Burkett and Genna Whitley. In the course of trying to raise money for a Texas Vietnam Veterans...

thedrifter
09-20-04, 01:55 PM
According to the story, members of a sister company had killed some North Vietnamese soldiers after they had surrendered. Some months later, I heard another Marine who had joined my platoon after I took it over relate exactly the same story to some newly arrived men, only now it involved me and my platoon. I had a little chat with him and he cleared things up with the new men. But that episode has always made me wonder how many of the stories have been recycled and how many accounts of atrocities are based on what veterans heard as opposed to committed or witnessed. Of course, an account based on hearsay may be true. After all, the soldier who broke the My Lai story was not present during the massacre.

Unfortunately for the body politic, this issue is not going to go away. Too many veterans have long memories and they believe that Kerry sacrificed their honor on the altar of his political ambitions.

— Mackubin Thomas Owens is a professor of national-security affairs at the Naval War College in Newport, R.I. He led a Marine infantry platoon in Vietnam in 1968-69.

http://www.nationalreview.com/owens/owens200409200858.asp

Ellie