View Full Version : The enemy called them "death walkers."

thedrifter
09-20-04, 07:42 AM
BLT 1/6 honors the 'Selfless Generation'
September 20,2004
CYNDI BROWN
DAILY NEWS STAFF

The enemy called them "death walkers."

"These Americans are not like the ones before … they stay and fight," said Lt. Col. Asad A. Khan, quoting a Taliban fighter. "Wherever they go they create death … They are death walkers."

Khan, commanding officer of the 1st Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment's battalion landing team, thinks they are better remembered as part of what he called the "Selfless Generation," a worthy successor to the "Greatest Generation" that served during World War II.

"Nobody got drafted. They volunteered to serve their nation," said Khan. "I've seen it with my own eyes. They humbled me and I look up to them, honest to God."

Those Marines and sailors were honored Friday during a BLT 1/6 Thanksgiving and Remembrance ceremony aboard Camp Lejeune for their sacrifices during combat operations in Afghanistan. Sacrifices that included the loss of Cpl. Ronald R. Payne, the first Marine killed during combat operations in that country; 14 Marines and sailors wounded in action; and 13 others injured during operations.

Khan called Friday's service a "great moment" for Battalion Landing Team since it offered some closure for his troops - and their families.

"The family is also serving the nation," said Khan, explaining that they hosted the ceremony so soon after the BLT 1/6 return to allow them to be a part of it as well. "I think it means a lot to these young Marines to have their families included."

That invitation extended to Cpl. Payne's father, Ronnie; stepmother, Aileen; and sister, Rachel Ascione.

Khan said it was important for other families to meet the Payne family and see the burden they face and to be thankful for their own good fortune.

"Remember the sacrifices our wounded Marines and sailors made," Khan told the crowd that filled Goettge Memorial Field House, "and honor the sacrifice Corporal Payne made for all of us."

Payne, 23, was on a nighttime patrol May 7 with Light Armored Reconnaissance Platoon when a group of Afghanistan men opened fire, injuring the patrol leader. Payne drew their fire, allowing Staff Sgt. Jason Thompson to seek cover, and was mortally wounded by rifle fire and a rocket propelled grenade.

Khan had been communicating with the Payne family since their son died in combat, but he met with them for the first time this week. Friday, he presented them with Cpl. Payne's posthumously awarded Purple Heart and Bronze Star with V, awarded for "his zealous initiative, courageous actions, and exceptional dedication to duty," according to the citation. The family was also given a framed portrait of Payne in uniform, a quilt signed by all the members of 1/6 and a shadowbox that included the flag flown over the forward operating base renamed FOB Payne in honor of their comrade in arms.

"She needed that," said Martha Toquinto, who struck up an e-mail friendship with Aileen Payne after her stepson was killed. The two women shared an emotional meeting Friday when the Payne's accepted the posthumous awards and Toquinto watched her son, Lance Cpl. Darryl Toquinto, be awarded the Purple Heart for injuries sustained when an AK-47 was shot into the Humvee in which he was riding.

"I missed my son so badly and he was hurt. I'm sure it was a million times worse (for Aileen Payne)," said Toquinto, whose 12-year-old son Dominic plans to follow his brother into the Corps.

Toquinto remembers clearly the 9/11 attacks and thinking about the soccer coaches and friends and neighbors who died in the crash at the Pentagon. She was thankful for the Marines' efforts that keep the friends and neighbors on her street in Maryland safe

"I just look at these young men and women differently," said Toquinto. "Darryl would say to me he missed us, and I would say, 'The reason al-Qaida's not on Tulip Drive is because you're there.'

"These Marines want to make sure that doesn't happen again."

http://www.jacksonvilledailynews.com/SiteProcessor.cfm?Template=/GlobalTemplates/Details.cfm&StoryID=25829&Section=Liberty

Ellie

HardJedi
09-20-04, 04:16 PM
1/6! Good to see one of my old units is fightinjg the good fight still