PDA

View Full Version : Lost items find homes with help of military police

thedrifter
09-19-04, 06:16 AM
Lost items find homes with help of military police
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 2004915193755
Story by Cpl. Jonathan K. Teslevich

CAMP FOSTER, OKINAWA, Japan — (Sept. 2, 2004) -- It’s a given. At some point in time we’re going to misplace or lose a personal belonging. If that time comes while aboard a Marine Corps installations on Okinawa, a few lucky losers have a place to turn to in hopes of retrieving their lost items.

When someone loses a wallet, keys, glasses or any other personal item while on base, the Provost Marshal’s Offices’ lost and found sections sometimes end up with the items.
If able to identify the owner of the misplaced item, PMO will attempt to contact the owner to arrange a pickup.

“We receive lost items constantly here, and people call daily hoping that their misplaced possessions were turned in,” said Cpl. Christopher S. Sheain, a patrol supervisor and Camp Foster’s custodian of lost and found items. “We initiate a recording process the moment an item is turned in to a military police Marine on patrol or in the office.”

In the case of a lost wallet or purse, part of the recording process involves cataloguing contents like cash, credit cards and receipts.

“I create an evidence custody receipt because I want to return the lost item to its owner in the same condition and with all its contents intact,” Sheain said.

Though many of the lost items are identifiable, some can’t be traced to the owner.

“It surprises me what people turn in instead of just keeping,” Sheain said. “One time a guy
turned in $100, not inside a wallet or purse – just a $100 bill.”

Lost and found items are secured in the armory for a holding period of 120 days unless they are claimed first.

“When a holding period (expires) and an item is unclaimed, we write a disposition letter to our command letting them know that we are getting rid of (the item),” Sheain said. “At that time, items are either donated to charity or disposed of.”

The Green Line (Marine Corps shuttle) and taxi drivers turn in the vast majority of lost items, according to Sheain.

“Drivers usually find items on the floor or stuffed in the cracks of the seats,” said Tsuyoshi Oshiro, a foreman for The Green Line. “The drivers turn in the lost possessions they find to me. If I receive a call from the owner prior to turning it over to PMO, I will give it to him.”

To claim or receive information on lost items contact the following lost and found sections: Camp Foster 645-2433; Camp Hansen 623-4165; MCAS Futenma 636-3140; Camp Courtney 622-9690; and Camp Kinser 637-3500.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004915193941/$file/Release0455-2004-05low.jpg

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/C1C128BC166F798885256F100081D088?opendocument

Ellie