PDA

View Full Version : Guess who..

PFCLake
09-18-04, 05:07 AM
:marine: Good morning Poolees. Good morning Marines. I'm back from MCRD PI, just arrived about 2 hours ago. Graduated 2nd Bn, Fox Co. (OORAH!). Feels incredible, have 10 days + 14 PRASP.

Poolees, I'll have some really motivating trash for you, some basic do's and dont's for when you arrive to the island. Not now of course, too much to do. Any questions? Throw'em on me.

I congratulate those who've taken those first steps to becoming apart of my beloved Corps. But realize theres a long journey ahead of you - it would behoove you to ask the fresh boots (like myself and 1recon) as much as you can about MCRD. Chat more later, Semper Fi Marines. Congratulations 1recon.

-PFC Lake

JaiSteele
09-18-04, 05:23 AM
Congratulations, Eric. Good to see you back as a Marine.

thedrifter
09-18-04, 05:57 AM
Congratulations Marine

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie

rsta
09-18-04, 06:08 AM
Congratulations, Marine! Welcome back and enjoy your leave.

Semper Fi!

Bob

marinemom
09-18-04, 06:36 AM
Congratulations, Eric!

You have been missed - but is is great to see you back with the Title!

tracrat
09-18-04, 07:45 AM
Welcome aboard, Marine.

GySgtRet
09-18-04, 08:51 AM
PFCLake,

Congratulations Marine...!!! You now have the sought out most title that only a few of us have, the title Marine...!!! You also have the awsom resposibilities that go with it, do well with what you have learned do good with it.

The title "MARINE" Is eraned never given...!!!!

Semper Fidelis

yellowwing
09-18-04, 09:02 AM
Congratulations! Made some rank too, awesome. "...my beloved Corps," feels great to say that doesn't it!

Semper Fi Marine

michy
09-18-04, 09:12 AM
Congratulations Lake, its been quiet with out you

Sparrowhawk
09-18-04, 09:49 AM
Welcome to the brotherhood, saw that you already updated your profile.

Great.

Semper Fi

Cook

matt-m
09-18-04, 12:16 PM
Congratulations! Was wondering when all of you old poolee's were coming back as Marines, or at least hopefully.

HardJedi
09-18-04, 02:03 PM
well, welcome home Lake, glad you made it through!

PFCLake
09-18-04, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Shaffer
Well let me be the first to congratulate you on earning the title. Even though you were always one of the well behaved poolees, maybe you can share the difference in your views & opinions since your little vacation on the Island.

Congrats Marine! I now call you my brother.

Semper Fi,
Jerry

I'd be happy to Shaffer, I think you'll all find this interesting.

Bootcamp is nowhere near as hard as I thought it would be. Thanks to Mothers of America, the Marine Corps Recruiting Depot's now have conditions like L-5 (lightning within 5 miles) and Black flags, which both prevent recruits from going into any strenuous outdoor training. In all honesty, I felt like I havent been fully trained. During the Crucible we had 3 L-5 sirens, and the 10 mile hump back to the squadbay was cancelled due to the danger of a hurricane. It was ridiculous. Since when do Marines stop fighting if it gets too hot outside? Or if lightning comes within so many miles of a firefight? We're told we train like we fight. But then in the same breath we're told to get back in the squadbay because the black flag is being raised.

My opinion on the war in Iraq has changed quite a bit also. Before I left I was 110% gung-ho, get some, kill kill kill, send me to the sandbox. Now, hey - I'll do what my country needs, and go where my Corps tells me to go. But I no longer want to go to the sandbox. I would honorably take up the call to arms, but I dont hope for it, and I pray every night for the safe return of the brave men and women who're over there risking their lives this very second, while I sit comfortably in front of a computer.

I've never appreciated so many little things. Poolees, during your time at MCRD you're stripped of nearly ALL freedoms. No music. No candy. No friends. You do what you're told, and only when you're told to do it. Its a fairly hard adjustment to make for almost every recruit. For 3 months, you really dont have much control over what your next move is. I feel the only real thing you can control is what you get out of boot camp. If you put in 110%, thats what you'll get in return.

I've got plenty more to say, but once again I'm pressed on time at the moment. Thanks to everyone who wrote me, Cjwright.. thank you VERY much. Poolees, stay motivated and dedicated to your decision. I promise you wont regret this - and if you have any doubts or questions, contact me and I'll do my best to help out.

-PFC Lake

Semper Fi! (it feels so good to say that!!!)

HardJedi
09-18-04, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by PFCLake

My opinion on the war in Iraq has changed quite a bit also. Before I left I was 110% gung-ho, get some, kill kill kill, send me to the sandbox. Now, hey - I'll do what my country needs, and go where my Corps tells me to go. But I no longer want to go to the sandbox. I would honorably take up the call to arms, but I dont hope for it, and I pray every night for the safe return of the brave men and women who're over there risking their lives this very second, while I sit comfortably in front of a computer.

I remember the thread where I jumped on you about your attitude towards war. I remember telling you, that once you actaully became a Marine, your attitude would change. Glad to see that I was right. Heck, you ARE going to SOI, aren't you? Be sure and let us know what unit you get attached to after school ok?

MillRatUSMC
09-18-04, 04:58 PM
Welcome to the "Brotherhood"...I'm sure many more think just like your thoughts on the "sandbox".
I wish I had a magic wand to wave war away and what happened on 9/11/2001...
But that an impossiblity...
On stopping training dued to the weather, the Marine Corps is spending big money training recruits to fill the ranks in the Marine Corps and it would hate to lose recruits to heat effect and a rare lighting strike.
Blame it on the Mothers of America on the training being easier?
It all depends on your point of view...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

PS on the first round going by me in Vietnam, my thoughts were...
"You didn't kick hard enough!" directed at my Drill Instructors...
Our thoughts are that we're not trained good enough, even if we trained for years for the first taste of combat.

matt-m
09-18-04, 04:59 PM
When you are a PFC out of boot...that means you were a honor student right? Just curious as to what you got honors for...?

Caesar Augustus
09-18-04, 08:55 PM
Wow ya'll didn't do the 15k. That kind of defeats the purpose of the crucible. The reaper or in your case the whatever is the "hardest" part of the crucible. We never were send inside no matter the conditions. We would stay out in the field in the rain and cold without gortex. Guess ya'll do things different out there. Congrats either way.

Caesar Augustus
09-18-04, 08:57 PM
You won't have to worry about that once you get to your MOS school. In the stumps we've had black flag days and we still PT or stand lovely firewatch.

GySgtRet
09-18-04, 08:58 PM
PFCLake,

I can remeber what you used to be like. Quite a transition has taken place. A very mature attitude that I was hoping to see and you have done. There is nothing at all worng or incorrect about wanting to defend ones country and way of life. But you have taken up the stance that I had for 20 years and still do.

Semper Fidelis

hrscowboy
09-18-04, 10:33 PM
orrahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gunny i think that speaks for us all...

Caesar Augustus
09-18-04, 10:39 PM
I know a lot of Marines with the same attitude. I think the main reason why we change is because we no realize that going over there and seeing, experiencing things that man was never meant to see is a lot more of a reality. Plus the danger and thoughts of never seeing your family or girl are pushed to the forefront of your mind. I figure if I get sent I'll do my job but in no way am I looking forward to going

usmc03wannabe
09-19-04, 12:42 AM
Thanks for offering your help, I sent you a PM back. That is really big of you. I leave tomorrow, I hope I can come back as a Marine and make all of you proud.

DeNichilo 0300
09-19-04, 05:20 PM
how many times where you tested on the ranks

HardJedi
09-19-04, 06:18 PM
tested on the ranks? you mean like, identifying what a rank is by looking at the insignia?

PFCLake
09-20-04, 08:41 AM
matt, I earned PFC as a Poolee in the DEP program. I referred two people to my recruiter, and they both enlisted in the Corps.

Gunny, thank you. The hardest part of MCRD for me was the reality check. Realizing what I had gotten myself into, and then dealing with the fact that theres no way out of it. (then i later realized I didnt even want out of it, but thats another story)

DeNichilo, you're "tested" on the rank structure ALL THE TIME. All Drill Instructors setup their own ditties. They say something, and you have an automatic response to it. For example, our Drill Instructor would scream "E-2 IN THE MARINE CORPS" and we'd scream back "SIR, E-2 IN THE MARINE CORPS IS, PRIVATE FIRST CLASS, HE WEARS, ONE STRIPE UP SIR". Its constant for about the first 3-4 weeks. Then they slowly start to get you into more advanced knowledge. Example... DI: OPERATION APPREHEND MANUEL NORIEGO Recruit: SIR, OPERATION APPREHEND MANUEL NORIEGO IS, OPERATION JUST CAUSE SIR.

What else?

-PFC Lake

airframesguru
09-20-04, 09:21 AM
Congrats Lake!

Semper Fidelis,

Mike

DSchmitke
09-20-04, 12:25 PM
Welcome Aboard Lake and Congratulations

jo_beth
09-20-04, 12:32 PM
congratulations to you.
I wish you well to your future as a Marine.
Make the best of it and have fun.

Semper Fi
:banana:

DeNichilo 0300
09-20-04, 12:49 PM
Thanks PFC Lake

how about innoculations how many times and how many needles where there, i belive i say 2 innoculation periods in the training matrix

Pop-A-TopII
09-20-04, 12:56 PM
:marine: Semper Fi PFCLake

HardJedi
09-20-04, 03:13 PM
didn't USEd to be needled. was all done with air guns, back when i was in. other than for drawinbg blood, anyway

Tom Hansen
09-20-04, 09:53 PM
Welcome back Marine.....

drillinstructor
09-20-04, 10:07 PM
you should of came to SD never a black flag here...lightning?? hell it doesnt even rain here............gotta go kill some recruits congrats Marine

drillinstructor
09-20-04, 10:09 PM
oh and by the way we went to a yellow flag once last week...the first time in 4 years...I am not knockin' on PI that is where I went to boot camp

PFCLake
09-21-04, 03:42 AM
We had 3 innoculation periods. 2-3 shots per period. Simple, pain free, little to no blood.

Let me ask you something DeNichilo - what are you biggest fears about boot camp? In fact, that question stretches to any Poolee who sees it. What are you wannabes afraid of?

-PFC Lake

CAS3
09-21-04, 10:55 AM
Congrats Eric, bout time!
We never had a black flag or any other sissy crap at PI when I was there. Must be all of those whiners writing home to mommy!

CPLRapoza
09-21-04, 12:56 PM
We had the black flag thing when I went through in 2000, it just didn't mean anything to the recruits. Our Drill Instructos told us that it was for Marines and Marines only.

yellowwing
09-21-04, 01:05 PM
In '83 there was never a black flag INSIDE the squad bay!

cknow
09-21-04, 01:14 PM
only time I ever heard of black flag was on the rock.

Congratulations MARINE....

Tom Bartlett

Leatherneck Mag
"You EARNED the title MARINE upon graduation from boot recruit training, it wasn't willed to you; it isn't a gift; it's not a government subsidy. Few can claim the title, noone can take it away, it's yours forever"

Semper fi

DeNichilo 0300
09-21-04, 03:20 PM
Lol truthfully,i dont fear boot camp.......but i would be lying if i said i wasnt a bit scared im sure we all were before we went to bootcamp.

I guess im just anxious and want to know more, the more i know the better it is for me.

My motto before i leave to PI is goona be, "The only way im not comming back a Marine is if im in a bodybag." AS far as im concerned , i well never give up.

Tom Hansen
09-21-04, 03:42 PM
Really, dont fear it or it will over come you. Take a positive outlook and have fun with it. You will get use to the physical stuff as soon as it starts. Boot Camp is 90% mental, it's the DI's job to break you, or bring out the metal that makes Marines. Once you have done it apart of you will want to do all over again....

Underleft
09-21-04, 06:32 PM
Congrats on becoming a Marine.
I have to admit when I went to boot camp it wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be either. But don't worry about feeling you were cheated on the training...that all changed for me when I got to the fleet. The first day In the fleet was hell! Went straight to the field for a week not to mention the company hadn't had a boot in over a year so you can imagine what that was like. But the training in the fleet is awsome! and 29 palms isn't as bad as everybody says it is...it does suck, but not as much as everybody will tell you.

snipowsky
09-21-04, 06:46 PM
Holy cow! Eric Lake is a brother of mine now?

Congratulations Lake!

Welcome to our family brother!

HardJedi
09-21-04, 08:53 PM
you're right Snipowsky! I hadn't even thought of it like that! that smart alec know it all punk of a kid is now, a brother ( shudder) of mine. ( said as a joke)

and I am DAMN proud to call him so. Who ever wanted a timid Marine in the fox hole next to em?

Caesar Augustus
09-21-04, 11:03 PM
Under the stumps does suck. Could be worse but its still bad. Although we've been having some nice weather recently

PFCLake
09-23-04, 04:56 PM
DeNich, dont sweat it. You'll get nervous. There will be times when you dont know if you'll make it through the week. Just keep a gung-ho, confident attitude and you'll be good to go.

Anytime the DI's were slaughtering us, I just reminded myself of times when I talked all kinds of **** to my friends about how boot camp wouldnt phase me. I knew that was my moment to "walk the walk" as I had already done plenty of talking. So I just took a "bring it on" kind of attitude, and they left me alone.

-PFC Lake

Caesar Augustus
09-23-04, 10:05 PM
haha where to next lake? The next few months you'll see how much different you are.

PFCLake
09-24-04, 07:59 AM
Lejeune, SOI/ITB. Hopefully pickup mortarman or assaultman.

-PFC Lake

fulmetaljackass
09-24-04, 09:03 AM
Lake.....go 0351 assaultman. They don't have to carry around those d@mn base plates!

Caesar Augustus
09-24-04, 01:09 PM
Yea ya don't wanna be a mortarman. We saw some of them humping and they didn't look to pleased. Go 0313 I think. LAV crewman. ya ride not hump and well you're in an LAV and i think they're cool haha

PFCLake
09-24-04, 07:54 PM
i've thought about LAV, they told us it requires someone "intelligent" -- which fits my category. So who knows. In the end, I'll go wherever the hell they put me.

-PFC Lake

Tom Hansen
09-24-04, 09:22 PM
Swing with the Wing I always said......:)

Caesar Augustus
09-24-04, 09:37 PM
Party with arty. If ya can't truck it **** it. Yea well thats true but if they give ya a choice go for lav. One of my boys got that in ITB because someone else wanted to be more "hardcorps" until he realized how much it sucks to be a grunt and that it really isn't all that fun. Say the least my boy is having a much better time than that other guy

Underleft
09-25-04, 08:49 AM
I'm a scout for 3rd LAR. We still do humps and alot of straight leg stuff. But you have to remember your there to support the LAV. Our fire teams only have 2-3 Marines in them. I think to be a crewman your GT score has to be high and your Swim qual has to be 2nd class. I don't know how 1st or 2nd LAR does things but all the scouts in 3rd LAR pretty much know how to be a crewman and some of our crewman got switched to scouts. 2 mortarmen from SOI got placed as scouts instead just a few weeks ago. you gotta remember that with the 0300 field, they will expect you to be able to do every Infantry job, they will teach you as you go.

Caesar Augustus
09-25-04, 10:28 AM
You're with 3rd LAR? Wouldn't happen to know a Connely would ya

Underleft
09-25-04, 12:12 PM
I know connely. He came here from SOI to B. Co the same time that I got switched from A. Co to B. Co. Hes a good Marine. Good at basketball too.

Caesar Augustus
09-25-04, 02:21 PM
He's a good guy. Knew him from boot camp. Saw him at the bowling alley about a month ago.

Arlene Horton
09-25-04, 11:43 PM
Congratulations from an old WM from the Korean era. The proudest day in my younger life was when I earned the title of United States Marine. Remember it well....Semper Fi and welcome!

PFCLake
09-26-04, 11:50 AM
Thanks devildog, OORAH.

Eric Robinson
09-26-04, 06:41 PM
Hey im back from Parris Island. I graduated from 2nd BN FOX CO. Platoon "But Crack Nasty" 2085 on September 17 2004. And what a wild ride that was. Hey Lake what Platoon did you graduate from. Sorry i didnt post anything when i got back but as soon as i got home i have been out like crazy and on the road seeing friends and a girl i missed very much. But boot camp was by far the hardest thing i have ever done and i loved it and i already miss it like crazy. My ten days of leave are just about up and then im off for combat training at N.C. and i still cant adjust to the civilian world, it just dosnt make any sense out here with all these "Nasty Civilians" lol. But every where i go whether in uniform or in civilian clothes I am a U.S. Marine 24:7 365 til the day i die and will always hold myself to a higher standard and i could be Prouder. The feeling is unbelievable i mean i spent the past 3 years waiting for the moment "Congratulations MARINE" and no lie i felt an unbelivable sensation of power go through my veins and down my spin as my Drill Instructor Sgt. Roy shaked my hand and handed me my HARD earned Egale Glob and Ancor. For the rest of my life i will never forget that moment and will always uphold the values and traditions of my Marine Corps to the best of my ability. To all you poolees out there good luck and while at boot camp never forget why you joined. ANd to all the Marines ( brothers and sisters) all i can say is OOOOOORAH!