PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Relate to This?

jinelson
09-17-04, 02:57 PM
This poem was in this months Leatherneck Magazine and I thought that some of the folks here would enjoy it.

To Wear The Green Again – by Robert A. Hall

Do you recall when we were young and wore the forest green, the oddest thing we had to do was earn the name Marine?

Do you recall our old DI and PT in the pit, or how you killed a sand flea and had to bury it?

Do you recall those vanished days when we were in the Corps? We’d swab the deck, field day the head then do it all once more.

Do you recall the duty list and how we tried to skate, or how our outfit seemed to thrive on “hurry up and wait”?

Do you recall it’s “BROWN side out!” and how the word would change, or “snapping in” till muscles ached when we were at the range?

Do you recall that curious day when we went off to war or how we bragged we’d be the best that ever served the Corps?

Do you remember how hard we prayed when first we ducked a round, to not disgrace our uniform or let our buddies down?

Do you recall your sergeant who was killed the second day, or how we cried like children when they carried him away?

Do you recall how glad we were the day they let us out, or how you told off the “gunny” and made him swear and shout?

And did you watch the evening news the day it hit the fan, and wish like I with all your heart you wore the green again?

Semper Fi
Jim

hrscowboy
09-17-04, 03:04 PM
yehawwwwwwwwwwwww orahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you got that one right...

vfm
09-17-04, 04:51 PM
Truer words were never spoken
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

BHABIT
09-17-04, 06:44 PM
It"s strange that I see this posting...
A "brother" of mine was promoted to Major 2 1/2 months ago... now he's where I dream to be.

I'm over-the hill but I still have the fire in my belly and the determination in my heart and mind, even though my body now days is mostly not willing.

I've spent alot of time thinking about why I'm here... never left a brother behind... but I'd give anything if I could change places with the ones I've lost at my side, or be able to now do what my Corps trained me to do.

I set a place at my table every night for my "brother"...awaiting his return... may God bless him and all our troops.

If he's able to see into the future...maybe I won't see him...

SEMPER FI!!!

Sparrowhawk
09-17-04, 07:42 PM
From a dream I had last night.

Perhaps it was because yesterday I carried my Marine Corps Uniform (my greens) from my closet into the garage.

I had not seen them in years when I got them back about a month ago from my Ex-wife.

But last night I had a dream where I was wearing them again. Proud, and straight.

and gosh darn I was good looking......

radio relay
09-17-04, 11:27 PM
Yes, it rings true. It's hell being an old Corps, old fart, when there's a war on.

Arlene Horton
09-18-04, 12:01 AM
Even though I didn't serve in the Corps in a combat zone, I can relate to the above. I lost many Marine friends in Korea as well as 'Nam and each day as I read about more brave Marines and other service personnel headed for Heaven's Gate memories bring on the tears. It also makes me proud as h--- to know I was fortunate enough to be able to wear those great looking green univorms. Semper Fi....

Arlene Horton
09-18-04, 12:07 AM
Meant to say UNIFORMS. Must still be in lala land since the back surgery 31 August. Healing well but slowly. Thanks for good wishes Ellie.

HardJedi
09-19-04, 01:37 AM
great poem.

mrbsox
09-19-04, 08:58 AM
Don't still wear the GREEN

But down inside,
and full of pride,

We're all still MARINE !!

As long as the '1stCivDiv' is on active duty
Our world is a safer place
Just think how 'bold' the gangs, terrorists, thugs, et al...
might be with out Marines (et al...) on the streets too !!

Terry

Sgt. Smitty
09-20-04, 11:10 AM
Great poem..........I still have my dress blues hanging in my closet..and believe it or not............they still fit!!!!!!!!!!! They still look good........but with my bad back i can't stand as tall as i used to but am still as proud of that uniform as i ever was....

LivinSoFree
09-21-04, 10:25 AM
Motivating, gentlemen, that's all I can say about this.

awb5711
09-21-04, 12:30 PM
I'm active right now. Sure hope we're making you guys proud as ever.