PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Marine

Shaffer
10-04-02, 10:04 AM
Spending four years working hard can teach somebody a lot about life.

For Washington State linebacker Wendell Smith, four years in the Marines taught him a lot of patience and discipline. Smith, a junior from Gonzaga Prep in Spokane, has been injured off and on for the last few years. He knows his time is coming, but he needs to stay healthy to make the most of it.

"I've learned to be very patient," said the soft-spoken Marine. "I've been banged up here and there, and it gets very frustrating. I will have to wait formy opportunity and prove to everybody what I can do."

Smith had no problems proving his worth to the United States Marine Corps as he made a name for himself. He was stationed at Marine Barracks 8th and I (the oldest post in the Corps) in Washington, D.C., where only the top three percent of the Marines get placed. Smith's spotless criminal record and his background history made him an obvious selection. He was honored as a member of the "World Famous Body Bearers," and his duties included infantry and carrying caskets at over 400 funerals of prominent Marines' veterans and United States' congressmen. Smith was also a bouncer at clubs in the D.C., area for extra income on the weekends, whenever the job did not interfere with his Marine duties.

While stationed in Washington, D.C., from 1995 to 1999, Smith was a member of the Presidential Ceremonial Honor Guard during parades and inaugurations. He still vividly remembers being there for President Clinton's second inaugural address.

"Oh man, that was cold," Smith said. "You don't understand. Being on the top of Capitol Hill in January with the wind blowing was freezing."

Smith, a reserve linebacker and special teams player, likes to keep a low profile, but he cannot hide from his claim to fame. Wearing number 38 in the 1999 Homecoming game against California, Smith recovered a blocked-punt and delivered the knockout punch to the Golden Bears. It was a moment he'll never forget.

"Mory Banks blocked it and I jumped on it and took it to the 11-yard line,"recalls Smith. "It was one of the highlights of my life," Smith said. "It's something that you dream of."

Smith learned invaluable life lessons from his experience. Things like paying attention to detail, persevering, and having a strong work ethic will help somebody advance rank in the services. It is these qualities that make him the strong man he is today, much changed from the immature boy he says he was when he entered the service.