PDA

View Full Version : wannabe Marine

onejarhead
09-16-04, 06:58 PM
My nephew wants to be a Marine. I am taking him to see a recruiter soon. When I enlisted several years ago, I went in "blind". At bootcamp, I was shocked that some recruits got a bonus and accelerated promotions when signing up. Anyone got any good suggestions to give before seeing the recruiter. Any help is appreciated!

Pel
09-16-04, 07:45 PM
Its a job... Find the right MOS... Its for 8 years not 4... 4 years active 4 years inactive... Boot camp is hell... Nothing easy about it... if there was anybody could become a Marine.

HardJedi
09-16-04, 07:48 PM
you USED to get gaurenteed PFC and LCPL at certain datees for signing up for 6 years active instead of 4 years. not sure how it is today. I never met ANYONE in the Marines who got bonus money for an initial enlistment.

greensideout
09-16-04, 07:55 PM
If your nephew has the skill and education to get into a "tech" job the rank will come quicker. Money up front, never heard of that. The GT score is the big thing.

garryh123
09-16-04, 08:12 PM
IT'S A JOB!!!!!!????????

mrbsox
09-16-04, 08:13 PM
I was a 'Bonus Baby' in '76 for signing up for 'Combat Arms'. Was guaranteed Tanks, Tracks, or Infantry. PFC after ITS at Pendelton, and $2500.00.

That was danm near 3 decads ago (Fk I'm old). Don't know whats available now.

Terry
'You order, We Mortar'

greensideout
09-16-04, 08:28 PM
I served 4 years for about $6000.00 total!!!

mrbsox---you were a blessed child!!! LOL

onejarhead
09-16-04, 08:28 PM
Marines,

I appreciate the input. The way I see it, my nephew has to make his own way through the Marines. He wants a challenge-he's sure as hell going to get it! Semper Fi!

Pel
09-16-04, 08:38 PM
garry h, Me I really dont think of it as a job... Its a calling... But alot of people that I talk to and get intrested in signing up like to hear what they will get out of it... it IS a job. Its a skill that you learn and perfect and do for a living. Afterwards many of the MOS's carry on into the civillian world. If its something that you love its not really a job. I love what Ive seen. Thats why I dep'ed in. Thats why my life is going the way its going. To people that are just now finding out about the Marine Corps, It Is a Job. People have to get an inside look before it becomes a way of life. When you show them that it IS a job... that they will help the whole of the Marine Corps with anything that they do, Thats the foot in the door... Thats the eyes starting to open... That gets them to talk to a recruiter. The rest comes with time. With Understanding.

This is just the way that I see things.. I might be ignorant in a hundred different ways... But this is how I get people to talk to my recruiter. Dang its even how I got intrested in the Marine Corps. Sorry if my words have offended anyone.

Pel