PDA

View Full Version : On a day like today---1944

greensideout
09-15-04, 08:22 PM
Thank you Mr Cobb for you service so that we can enjoy our freedom!

Semper Fi Marine

thedrifter
09-15-04, 08:30 PM
I too Salute Mr Cobb...and All You Marines that Followed

Thank You

Ellie

marinemom
09-15-04, 09:48 PM
Mr Cobb - my favorite life taker and heart breaker - we cannot thank you enough for your service.

greensideout
09-17-04, 07:37 PM
From the WSJ, Sept. 15---

Today, 60 Years Ago, A Gruesome Battle Began

Today is the 60th anniversay of a battle fought long ago: On Sept. 15, 1944, the First Marine Division landed on Peleliu Island, one of the Palau Islands in the Pacific. The island is six miles long and two miles wide.The campaign was expected to last about four days, but the living hell of Peleliu lasted four months. By the time the island was secured, the Japanese had inflected 6,526 casualties, of whom 1,252 were killed.
On Sept. 15, unlike D-Day celebrations, there are no marching bands or speeches on that tiny island. But those of us who were there will pause and reflect on those days so long ago when many of us died, and we will know that we did with honor what our country asked of us. That is glory enough.

Richard Lucius
Springfield, Mass.

JAMarine
09-17-04, 08:49 PM
And to think,
that Man,
that Hero,
that Wonderful Person once told me that since my Father had died long ago he would gladly step in and be my Father.

:)

God Love You Hobart.

Not only are you my Brother........................................... ...........

You can be my Father anyday.

rich