PDA

View Full Version : Recruiter screening teams target Marines for FY05

thedrifter
09-14-04, 07:03 AM
Recruiter screening teams target Marines for FY05
Submitted by: Marine Corps Recruiting Command
Story Identification #: 200491153112
Story by Staff Sgt. Marc Ayalin

MARINE CORPS RECRUITING COMMAND, Quantico, Va. (Sept. 1, 2004) -- Nearly 1,200 Marines will attend recruiter school in 2005. Soon afterward, they will find themselves responsible for seeking the most qualified men and women to enlist in the Corps.

From September 9-17, Headquarters Recruiting Screening Teams (HRST) from Headquarters Marine Corps are scheduled to visit Marine Corps installations nationwide in an effort to find the best qualified Marines to fill recruiting school classes for fiscal year 2005.

“This is a call to duty,” said Master Gunnery Sgt. Charles Latimer, HRST member. “This is an opportunity for today’s motivated Marines to do their part in shaping the future of the Marine Corps by seeking highly qualified men and women for enlistment.”

A majority of Marines eligible to attend recruiter’s school during fiscal year 2004 were deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom I and II. Therefore, screening teams did not conduct any recruiter screening in 2003.

“Since we didn’t screen Marines in 2003, there will be a dramatic increase in the number of Marines who will be screened this year,” said Gunnery Sgt. Matthew Stallworth, the recruiter monitor at Enlisted Assignments for Manpower, Headquarters Marine Corps.
This increase poses a competitive challenge for those desiring to enhance their career by pursuing the special duty.

“Marines selected for recruiting duty are considered to be the best of what the Marine Corps has to offer, therefore, the screening is very crucial and is a highly selective process,” Latimer said.

A tour on recruiting duty can enhance a Marine’s career and make them more competitive for promotion. However, there are several other benefits for recruiters that are enticing. For example, recruiters receive $450 a month in special duty incentive pay (highest special duty incentive pay); they are non-deployable for three years; and can apply for a duty station preference upon the successful completion of their tour.

“I want the chance to do something challenging outside my Military Occupational Skill (MOS),” said Sgt. Elvin Caganap, accounting chief, Comptroller Section, Marine Corps Base, Camp Pendleton. “By being a recruiter, I will learn professional selling skills that many civilian companies send their employees to for training. This will enhance my chances of getting a civilian job when I retire.”

Unfortunately, not every Marine will be afforded the opportunity to become a recruiter; some MOSs have restrictions while certain Marines won’t meet time on station requirements.
Out of the 10,000 or so Marines eligible, approximately 2,500 to 3,000 will be interviewed during the twelve-day screening process. For the first time, HRST members conducted an electronic or “virtual” pre-screening that helped narrow down the number of face-to-face interviews that will be conducted.

“We will be out there to reconfirm the ones already eligible,” Latimer said. “We will be kneecap-to-kneecap with Marines and validate their information to ensure they are qualified for recruiting duty.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004911697/$file/ChoiEstradalow.jpg

The Recruiter of the Year for 2003, Gunnery Sergeant John H. Choi, left, is congratulated by the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, Sergeant Major John L. Estrada during the Commandant of the Marine Corps' Combined Award Ceremony held in Quantico, Virginia. Choi, who was meritoriously promoted after having been a staff sergeant for only 30 days, was among 12 Marines honored for their efforts while serving in special duty assignments in the Corps. Photo by: Staff Sgt. Marc Ayalin

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/E9831E1A825EC7D385256F02006B39FE?opendocument

Ellie