PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter simulators prepare pilots for flight

thedrifter
09-12-04, 06:40 AM
Helicopter simulators prepare pilots for flight
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story Identification #: 2004826233654
Story by - Lance Cpl. Skye Jones

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. (Aug. 26, 2004) -- One CH series helicopter can cost the Marine Corps more than $26 million, but when it comes to expeditious warfare, the heavy hauling and ship to shore movement capabilities of the Super Stallion and Sea Knight helicopters are priceless.

That is why the air station has invested more than $80 million in two state of the art flight simulators; one for both the CH-53 and CH-46 aircraft.

"Our main mission is to prepare students in the simulators for their first flights in an actual aircraft," explained Robert G. Eberly, simulator manager. "We support the CH-46 and CH-53 warfighter."

After finishing flight school, Marines and Sailors check into a training squadron, complete the necessary classes and then advance to the simulator.

"You see guys that come in here starting at ground zero, and after seven flights they have a very good knowledge of the aircraft," stated Orange County, Calif., native, Richard McKenzie, simulator instructor.

The helicopter simulator facility instructors here train eight pilots per day in their simulators. Each instructor has an extensive background in flying. All instructors were former pilots in the Marine Corps or Navy.

"The instructors put you in the right direction. They focus your abilities and give you confidence," said 1st Lt. Mike McClendon, replacement air crew, Medium Marine Helicopter Training Squadron 164. "They all bring a vast amount of experience into their teachings. For example, when we're practicing emergency procedures, they can tell you 'one time when I was flying...' and explain how often that procedure has really been used," continued the Shreveport, La., native.

Each future pilot receives a 30-minute brief before entering the simulator. The helicopter simulator is balanced on a hydraulic tripod, which simulates the action of the aircraft. On the projector, the pilot can see the runway, sky and land. If the pilot crashes, the screen flashes red.

"The first time I flew in the simulator, I felt a lot of trepidation and I was nervous," expressed McClendon. "However, the instructors are in there with you to help you through each step."

Normally, two Marines or Sailors go in the simulator and each has approximately one hour in the pilot's seat and one hour in the copilot's seat. Inside the aircraft, the future pilots are evaluated in different exercises like engine fail takeoff, running landing, hydraulic failure and other numerous drills.

When McClendon was in the pilot's seat of the helicopter simulator, McKenzie repeatedly explained, "this is why I teach it this way" and "that's why it's done that way" to give him a better idea of what would happen in an actual aircraft.

"These instructors directly impact the future of aviation in the Marine Corps," explained McKenzie. "Their professionalism and dedication to their job is reflected in what we learn."

Once all simulator exercises are complete, the students receive another brief and their instructor reviews everything that was conducted in the simulator. After completing the exercises in the simulator, the Marine or Sailor advances to flying an actual aircraft.

"It's the pilots that make this happen. Without them, it's just hardware and people," said Eberly.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20048271358/$file/HELOlo.jpg

David M. Cavanaugh, CH-53 flight simulator instructor exercises the helicopter simulator to ensure that it will provide the most realistic training possible when Marines come in to practice. Photo by: Sgt. J.L. Zimmer III

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/E4B73DA87A21B8AB85256EFD0013DBB2?opendocument

Ellie