PDA

View Full Version : 09/11 What we remember

Sparrowhawk
09-10-04, 11:07 AM
I had just gotten out of the shower, when my wife pointed out that a plane had struck one of the twin towers, in New York City.

As we looked on at the news coverage, a second plane struck, and I knew we were at war.

"Welcome to the terrorism that Israel has been experiencing for years,” were the first thoughts that came to mind.

Having studied and written about terrorism for years, I knew our nation on 9-11 had lost our innocence. We were, at war and there would be no turning back. The world we knew before 9-11 had seized to exist. Security would never again be the same, not for the world, not for our nation, or my family. We were at war, and there was no turning back.

The following days were filled with thoughts that were mixed with shock and anger, and as news came in identifying those responsible I realized this war on terror would be long and costly.

I never doubted, that we would prevail in this war but first the American people would have to realize an ugliness they could never have imagined that could be done against us by those that hate us for what we are and want nothing else but to destroyu us.

Not much has changed since 9-11; we are more secured today, but not safe from terror.

I expected what occurred in the Russian school massacre to occur here and it may still occur here and there is very little we can do unless we do a better job of educating our citizens about the terror in our midst and forget about being policically correct or tolerant of those that hate us for the freedom we enjoy.

September 11 was a wake up call, and those that oppose what we are doing in Afganistan and in Iraq, have never woken up. They just don't get it.

Semper Fi

Cook

marinemom
09-10-04, 12:03 PM
Hearing one of my co-workers tell me that there was a terrible accident in New York City - a plane had accidently hit the World Trade Center.

Being Brooklyn-born, and having watched the towers go up, I also knew that all air flight paths were too far away from Manhattan for the hit to be "accidental".

Told the folks in the office - this is NOT an accident - We have been attacked.

Than finding out days later that guys I grew up with - fire fighters and police officers - were no longer here....would not be found for burial.. some of them Marines who served with my husband. Not a good day.

jinelson
09-10-04, 12:19 PM
I was at work it was around 7 AM California time. One of our employees came to my office and said that he heard on the radio that a plane had hit the twin towers. I then told the employee lets go turn the TV on and what we saw was one of the towers burning big time, then the second got hit. I immediatetly knew that we were under attack and stated that I smelled Osama Bin Laden and life as we knew it was gone forever. I agree with Sparrowhawk the question of the Russian school mess happening here in America is a matter of when not if. Soft targets are recognized as easy hits by terrorists. We can never be safe from terrorists.

thedrifter
09-10-04, 12:31 PM
I was home by myself that day, just sitting down watching TV with a cup of coffee. All the children already left for work, and Roger had a few errands to do. In my shock, and crying in my heart I knew this was something terrible...Called Roger, he was coming home, called the children, they also came home...That day changed All Our Lives, that We live in A Cruel World...Yes Cook We Lost Our Innocence...

I do have to Agree with Cook on this, We are more secured, but not safer since 9/11...Yes Cook War is Ugly, but it had to be done.

Our Armed Forces are paying the Ultimate Sacrifice to rid "Our Nation" from terrorism. A Thankless Job, but I have No Doubt in my mind we will Prevail.....

Now look I'm starting to think like Cook....;) ...

Ellie

nc.gal
09-10-04, 03:09 PM
My husband was watching TV that morning and told me that our country was at war-----we were being bombed. I said, Bombed???. BOMBED?? In my mind, I was picturing war planes flying over and dropping...

hrscowboy
09-10-04, 03:15 PM
Yes where going to remember President Bush and what hes done for the United States.

yellowwing
09-10-04, 03:40 PM
When I woke up my wife said something about a plane going into the WTC. I thought, "Cripes, some pilot had a really bad day."

When I tuned into the radio they reported on the second strike. That's when shock started to set in. I knew it was no accident.

I immediately turned on the TV News coverage. I remember I thought that it was a really good idea when the FAA gave the order to ground ALL air traffic.

When the Towers began to fall, I really started crying.

vfm
09-10-04, 05:56 PM
I was driving my taxicab that morning and I was actualy listening to Howard Stern. His broadcast station was only a few blocks from the Twin Towers . I have to give the hairbag credit ; he hung right in there all morning long giving a live account of what was going on. The weirdest thing was to hear him be very serious and business like.
Later on that morning and early afternoon the scariest thing was after the no fly order was given the dead silence of no air traffic.
Later on in the afternoon a few F-14's from the 174th Air Guard were flying patrols from Syracuse to the Canadian border and down to NY City I'm always used to the noise but that day it scared the hell out of me.
Then you have to realize up here in Central N.Y. we have a few nuclear power plants right o Lake Ontario which separates us from Canada. To this day I keep asking myself what if....?
Semper Fi!!!
vfm

CAR
09-10-04, 06:30 PM
I was at the CHP Academy getting dressed and listening to the radio. The morning commentator made a silly joke about "some guy crashed his plane into the WTC" I too thought man what a knucklehead. Moments later the commentator said, It appears to have been a commercial plane! Right at that moment an un-nerving silence hit. The commentator got real serious real fast. Minutes later he said a second plane hit the other tower, at that point I knew we were under attack.

I was dumbfounded, my heart sank and when I saw the reports of people jumping to their deaths...... brought many tears to my eyes. I, like many of you I'm sure, had sorrow topped with anger racing through my veins.

America needs to wake up! This is a war! Iraq just happens to be the AO right now!

JAMarine
09-10-04, 07:33 PM
What a day that was ugh?

I had gotten off work that morning about 2AM.
My daughter woke me up and said; "Dad, Mom told me to tell you something is wrong and you need to get up and turn on the news". She was scared. A tear was rolling down her cheek.

I did and was struck with awe. I had just turned on the set and was watching a morning news show. As the lady spoke I could see over her shoulder on a large monitor the 2nd Airplane crashing into the tower. I said to myself,,,"Hey.....Hey..... Lady look over your shoulder there's another one".

I did the best I could to help my girls get off to school. At the Bus Stop my oldest was crying. I asked her why she was crying and she said; "I don't know. I really don't know Daddy but those people are dead and I'm afraid. I don't want to die she said as she reached for her younger sister and me at the same time. I walked back across the street with my daughters and took them to school myself. We talked on the way and I told them the best thing to do was to do what we do everyday and that I would come get them if anything else happened. After coming back home I found myself glued to the television set. I wasn't sure what I personally should do next. I do remember crying inside for days afterward. Crying for people I would never have met in many lifetimes.

As I watched the news throughout the day I wasn't sure what I should do. Do I call my wife home? Do I go get the girls? Where's my son? Do they need me? I remember yelling at the TV in anger several times. PTSD? You Damn Right? So many thoughts ran through my mind. Do I know someone there? What has happened? What is next? Who is next? Were there Fathers? Mothers? Children? What am I suppose to do? PTSD? YOU BET!

I called and spoke to my wife. Afterward I called the Marine Corps Recruiters Office down the street from me. Why? Hell, I don't know. I talked to the SSgt. and asked; "Can I help? With anything"? He said sure, come down here and lets talk. I went down to his office and spoke to him and 2 other recruiters. There was comfort in numbers that day. I helped field calls but mostly kept making additional pots of coffee and watching the News with Brother Marines.

I stayed home that afternoon and went into work late. I wanted to be home for my family. The world seemed to move so slow that day. As each of the kids got home they had questions. So Damn Many Questions. As the Fathers here know, it's so frustrating not to have the answers for your children.

As I got to work I noticed right away there was not many people in. The parking lot was virtually empty. As I came into the Manufacturing Plant I did not see a sole. I found most of the people huddled around a small TV set up on a platform and that's were we stayed most the night.

That's what I remember of Sept. 11, 2001. Ever since that day I have treated people (all people) differently. Many many times since then THAT DAY comes to mind and I get on the PC and bring up a 911 Memorial Web Site. I do not want to Forget that day and I intentionally "SHAKE UP" my comfortable world so I will not forget.

Too Much Information? Sorry.

Thanks again Cook. What a day that was ugh?

rich

Sparrowhawk
09-10-04, 07:58 PM
"I want things to go back the way it was before..."

From my crying nineteen year old daughter, who realized her world had shattered, her innocence lost, that things would never be the same,

ever again

thedrifter
09-10-04, 08:31 PM
Good post Rich..

Ellie

JAMarine
09-10-04, 08:35 PM
Undersood.

Where will we go from here? And with whom?

It's a puzzle and it doesn't seem we're very good at the game.

Sempers

hector verduzco
09-10-04, 10:17 PM
I thought it was a movie shoot, because I did movie extras for 3 yrs. , but when I watch the 2nd plane hit, I stood their ****ed!.
As my co-workers and I watched, our thoughts came out loud.
We wanted to be back in the service and help out, but at this time our service is to our veterans in the V.A. Hospitals. We veterans ourselves, are always ready to serve foreign and domestic.

Echo5
09-11-04, 03:27 AM
I was awakened by my cell phone first and as I went to answer it, my house phone went off. I knew something was going down. At the time, I was a PMI for Security Bn, Camp Pendleton.
The ranges were cancelled and so the PMI shack brought in a TV and kept everyone else in the loop. All I remember thinking was that scene from the Untouchables were one of them gets killed and "Touchable" is written on the wall in blood.

mrbsox
09-11-04, 06:27 AM
Like most of you, my September 11th started off easy and innocent. Getting ready for work, the day ahead. Getting out of the shower, the phone had rung, Cathy had the TV on.

'Crystal called and said turn on the news, a plane has hit the World Trade Center' is what I remember Cathy saying. I looked up at the TV, saw the 2nd plane hit, and KNEW, that was no accident.

I locked and loaded what was in the house, and we set out on our day.

To this day, I wear a flag on my collar at work, usually with the Marine Corps Emblem, or crossed USA and Marine flags. But, I cannot go to work without pinning, and remembering.

Remembering that day,
Remembering our brothers and sisters in harms way today,
Remembering that at any moment, our lives can change again,
Rembering that my family enjoys the freedoms we have, and that I will die to procect them,

May God Bless America, as we rise to the challange of ensuring our way of life. And may his loving spirit comfort ALL of those whom have paid the ultimate price, of laying down their life for another.

Sparrowhawk
09-11-04, 08:32 AM
We cannot afford to forget

and we must not allow those responsible to think that we will forget.

"From the Halls of Montezuma
To the Shores of Tripoli;
We fight our country's battles
In the air, on land and sea;
First to fight for right and freedom
And to keep our honor clean,"

has taken on a new meaning.....

I am still angry and my hunger for revenge has not been satisfied....

Sparrowhawk
09-11-04, 09:42 AM
http://256.com/gray/thoughts/2001/20010912/pictures/000_m.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-11-04, 09:43 AM
http://256.com/gray/thoughts/2001/20010912/pictures/001_m.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-11-04, 09:44 AM
http://256.com/gray/thoughts/2001/20010912/pictures/002_m.jpg http://256.com/gray/thoughts/2001/20010912/pictures/003_m.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-11-04, 09:45 AM
http://256.com/gray/thoughts/2001/20010912/pictures/004_m.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-11-04, 09:46 AM
http://256.com/gray/thoughts/2001/20010912/pictures/009_m.jpg

Sparrowhawk
09-11-04, 09:48 AM
http://256.com/gray/thoughts/2001/20010912/pictures/016_m.jpg