PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Point Marine lives life in the fast lane

thedrifter
09-10-04, 06:39 AM
Cherry Point Marine lives life in the fast lane
Submitted by: MCAS Cherry Point
Story Identification #: 200493144620
Story by Cpl. Jessica L. Kent

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. (Sept. 2, 2004) -- Marines are widely known for chasing adventures and readily taking on competitions and challenges.

Gunnery Sgt. Travis C. Hanson, stationed at MCAS Cherry Point with Marine Wing Support Squadron 274, can attest to that. The Engineers Company First Sergeant races at the Coastal Plains Speedway in Jacksonville, N.C., every Saturday, living life in the fast lane and enjoying every opportunity to race.

“I started working with my dad when I was eight and raced go-carts just for fun,” he said. “Then I raced on and off for 15 years, except while overseas or on deployment.”

In those 15 years, Hanson moved from racing go-carts to owning cars in three categories: street stock, mini stock and late model sportsman.

“I raced the street stock this year; the car looks like a Camaro on the outside, but it doesn’t on the inside,” he said. “All three have NASCAR-approved roll cages.”

The roll cages are a welcome modification to all three cars, according to Hanson’s track record.

“Wrecks happen,” he said. “I finished six races out of 16 one year; the rest were either blown-up or crashed. Those things happen, and it’s not anybody’s fault; it’s just part of the sport. This season, I had an axle to break and rolled halfway around the track on three wheels, the car caught fire once, and I couldn’t finish four races because of mechanical problems.”

Hanson said that even with the problems the crew faced this year, along with missing four races due to operational commitments, his team has still been able to compete at a level that keeps them toward the front. “If we hadn’t missed those races, we would still be well within the top 10 points. As it is, we are 13th (of 32 cars) and should finish the year around 8th place.”

Despite the obstacles and no monetary benefit, Hanson continues to compete for various reasons. An opportunity to spend time with family and friends is one of many motives to race. He enjoys the time spent with his wife, Misty, and children, Rachel, Alexus, Amber and Travis, Jr., along with his pit crew and friends, Staff Sgt. Terry Greer of MWSS-274 Motor Transportation and former Marine, Wil Suppe.

“My family helps cheer, and the kids know that if they get straight A’s, I will let them race go-carts next year,” he said.

Hanson also acknowledged that he couldn’t win a race without his pit crew. Before entering a race, there are many things that must be accomplished. This involves several hours of work for the driver and crew.

“Monday through Thursday, I spend four to 10 hours on the car, and on Friday, the crew spends about five hours going over everything again,” he said. “You reap your own rewards, and anyone who isn’t dedicated is going to waste a lot of money.”

Hanson certainly doesn’t plan to waste money; he plans for success in every race, even if he doesn’t leave in first place.

“My goal is to be successful – not to win, but to be able to compete and to have the respect of the other guys out there,” he said, acknowledging that the crew members work hard to earn respect and a sense of accomplishment.

“It’s not a battle, but a 100-percent level of concentration and a tremendous sense of accomplishment when you start and finish a race – regardless of what place you finish.”
Hanson said that regardless of the place he finishes, he always feels accomplished when he races.

“It’s a great competition, and it’s a huge adrenaline rush, but the level of concentration you must have intensifies the competition regardless of racing for 10th place or 20th place,” he said.

Hanson won the title of Rookie of the Year at the Oglethorpe Speedway in Savannah, Ga., in 1992. This title became one of many as he continued his journey on the fast track and worked around deployments to remain dedicated and win numerous races.

Hanson can be found at the Coastal Plains Speedway in Jacksonville, N.C., every Saturday, practicing at 4:30 p.m., and competing around 7 p.m.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200493145144/$file/gunnylo.jpg

Gunnery Sgt. Travis C. Hanson, the MWSS-274 Engineers Company First Sergeant, prepares his street stock car for a race at the Coastal Plains Speedway in Jacksonville, N.C., Aug. 28. Photo by: Cpl. Jessica L. Kent

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/5B3432A3335D15EF85256F0400671ECD?opendocument

Ellie