PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your Help, Marines.

HardJedi
09-05-04, 03:01 PM
Well, here goes.

I would like you to answer for me one question. it can be as short or as long as you like.

The question is this. " What is America?"

this is for a college class I am currently taking. I already KNOW MY views on the subject, what I am looking for is other perspectives. Cause let's face it, most of us have pretty narrow world views, and it never hurts to hear others Ideas.

Without going into the whole thing, here is BASICALLY whay I think America is.

America, is an Ideal, a state of mind, not a place or a government. It is the dream that if you work hard enough, you can get what you want. It is the dream of equality and freedom, though anyone who thinks those things are GIVEN to them is a fool.

thats the basic gist of m,y idea, though the paper itself is over 12 pages long.

anyone wanna help me out and tell me what it is to you? please?

thedrifter
09-05-04, 03:20 PM
HardJedi

The Bill of Rights

beautiful scenery

the people

Freedom

bravery

history

Just floating a few ideas out.....LOL

Ellie

HardJedi
09-05-04, 03:32 PM
Thanks! but also, I suppose a better question would be what does it MEAN to you?

CAR
09-05-04, 06:49 PM
America-
I was born in the US, my father was not. He is of Cuban decent and fled shortly after Castro took office. I take exceptianal pride in America and what it stands for or in this case, means to me- What it means to me is that I am able to chart my own course, right or wrong, left or right, I am the navigator. It means the opportunity to live life FOR life. I have children and am able to provide for them and watch them grow in a country that is willing to allow them to prosper. I still worry about domestic problems, however our problems fail in comparison to countries like Sudan, China, Cuba for that matter. America means that as long as I try I can succeed and there is no "outside force" that is trying to surpress me to the piont of extinction.

I as I'm sure many of you have been to countries that show us how fortunate we really are.

yellowwing
09-05-04, 09:30 PM
I heard a radio commentary on this subject just last night. The talk show guest was talking about who are Americans. He phrased it pretty good.

Something like:

"If an Italian immigrates to Holland, he will still be Italian. Even if he get Dutch citizenship his genetics and his nieghbours will always refer to him as 'The Italian'."

To me America brings out the best on all peoples. Yes, a small pct want to be the best criminal. But the social and economic environment promotes and rewards excellence.

The United States does not have the thousands of years of history like Greece or Egypt. But in this short amount of time we have surpassed them in so many ways!

I'm Yellowwing and I approves of this message!

HardJedi
09-05-04, 09:37 PM
good point about the short history, Yellowing. thanks

HardJedi
09-06-04, 06:17 PM
no other opninions?

jryanjack
09-06-04, 07:43 PM
America to me means opportunity - no matter what hand you are dealt, if you work hard you can accomplish what you set out to, as much, or as little. I heard a quote associated with President Bush the other day, he was addressing a group of high school students (I think) and he said something to the effect that only in America can a "c" student end up being president (or something to the effect). I think that because America is comparatively new, compared to Europe, that we have this, we don't have the preconcieved notions of what a person's limits are.