PDA

View Full Version : Pistol, rifle ranges to be named after Marine hero

thedrifter
09-03-04, 06:27 AM
Pistol, rifle ranges to be named after Marine hero
Submitted by: MCAS Miramar
Story by: Computed Name: Lance Cpl. Skye Jones
Story Identification #: 20049219479

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION MIRAMAR, Calif. (Sept. 2, 2004) -- He was so feared that the North Vietnamese Army offered thousands of dollars for his death. He had 93 confirmed kills and holds the record for the longest distance sniper kill. At 2,500 yards, he successfully killed an enemy combatant with a .50-caliber Browning rifle.

Marine Corps Air Station Miramar's rifle range on East Miramar will soon be named after Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock, one of the Marine Corps' finest snipers. A new pistol range, scheduled to be constructed, will also be named after Hathcock.

"I have a vision of a nice plaque with Hathcock's biography on it, showing everyone how important marksmanship training is," said Col. Sonny Liston, assistant chief of staff, operations, Marine Corps Air Bases Western Area. "He started out like any Marine. He went through basic marksmanship training before he became a Vietnam sniper."

In March, a letter was sent to the commandant of the Marine Corps requesting permission to name the ranges.

The commandant gave permission to name the ranges as long as consent from the next of kin was given. Once the next of kin give their approval, the commanding general of the Marine Corps Education Command will be is informed and the process will begin.

Once the process is complete, the ranges will be named, and Marines will have something to think about while qualifying.

"I look up to Hathcock, and the range will help me remember him a lot more when it is renamed," said Sgt. Glennvanni Maiquez, power plants mechanic, Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352. "I think this is very motivating. They definitely picked the right person to represent our range."

When Marines fire at the range, they could think about Hathcock and his achievements. Giving the rifle and pistol ranges a name after one of the Marine Corps' greatest heroes could help marksmanship scores.

"When Marines learn about heroes in boot camp it gives them motivation," explained Lt. Col. James Bishop, deputy assistant chief of staff, operations, MCABWA. "Naming the ranges after one of these heroes will hopefully get Marines to put a greater effort into marksmanship training."

Bishop went on to say that along with a new name, the range could help develop a new sense of pride.

"I would be very proud to shoot at the range. Hathcock is a very motivating role model for me," said Lance Cpl. William Hargesheimer, military policeman, Marine Wing Support Squadron 373. "The new name will help Marines remember that if Hatchcock can do it, so can they."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20049221526/$file/rnage.jpg

Shooters at the East Miramar pistol range fill their magazines with rounds during a practice fire. Marines will soon be shooting at Hathcock range, which is scheduled to be constructed in a few weeks. Photo by: ance Cpl. Skye Jones

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/0/09AE3017310C8C5485256F030082A91E?opendocument

Ellie