PDA

View Full Version : The RNC what a difference.....

Sparrowhawk
08-30-04, 09:49 PM
The RNC

What a difference, what a patriotic spirit, how American, unlike the DNC, This convention makes me proud to be an American.

Makes me proud to have been given the opportunity, much like our servicemen today to have served.

With tears in his eyes a former New York police officer sang Amazing Grace with distinguished honor and conviction, a melody that reminds us of our proud heritage and Christian moral principles.

A question was asked why in New York City?

Because it was there terrorist first struck at us when we were at peace, and its there we can send a message to the terrorist once again that we are not finish yet, that we will continue to hunt them down and will destroy them where ever they may be.

Thank God, George Bush is our president.

I’m proud to be an American, and I support our troops and more than ever our president.

thedrifter
08-30-04, 09:52 PM
I agree 100% Cook.......

I’m Proud to be an American, and I support Our Troops and more than ever Our President.

Ellie

Sparrowhawk
08-30-04, 09:54 PM
Text of speech by Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., as prepared for delivery Monday at the Republican National Convention:

___

Thank you, Lindsey, and, thank you, my fellow Republicans.

I'm truly grateful for the privilege of addressing you. This week, millions of Americans, not all Republicans, weigh our claim on their support for the two men who have led our country in these challenging times with moral courage and firm resolve.

So I begin with the words of a great American from the other party, given at his party's convention in the year I was born.

My purpose is not imitation, for I can't match his eloquence, but respect for the relevance in our time of his rousing summons to greatness of an earlier generation of Americans.

In a time of deep distress at home, as tyranny strangled the aspirations to liberty of millions, and as war clouds gathered in the West and East, Franklin Delano Roosevelt accepted his party's nomination by observing:

"There is a mysterious cycle in human events. To some generations much is given. Of other generations much is expected. This generation of Americans has a rendezvous with destiny."

The awful events of September 11, 2001 declared a war we were vaguely aware of, but hadn't really comprehended how near the threat was, and how terrible were the plans of our enemies.

It's a big thing, this war.

It's a fight between a just regard for human dignity and a malevolent force that defiles an honorable religion by disputing God's love for every soul on earth. It's a fight between right and wrong, good and evil.

And should our enemies acquire for their arsenal the chemical, biological and nuclear weapons they seek, this war will become a much bigger thing.

So it is, whether we wished it or not, that we have come to the test of our generation, to our rendezvous with destiny.

And much is expected of us.

We are engaged in a hard struggle against a cruel and determined adversary.

Our enemies have made clear the danger they pose to our security and to the very essence of our culture — liberty.

Only the most deluded of us could doubt the necessity of this war. Like all wars, this one will have its ups and downs.

But we must fight.

We must.

The sacrifices borne in our defense are not shared equally by all Americans.

But all Americans must share a resolve to see this war through to a just end.

We must not be complacent at moments of success, and we must not despair over setbacks.

We must learn from our mistakes, improve on our successes, and vanquish this unpardonable enemy.

If we do less, we will fail the one mission no American generation has ever failed — to provide to our children a stronger, better country than the one we were blessed to inherit.

Remember how we felt when the serenity of a bright September morning was destroyed by a savage atrocity so hostile to all human virtue we could scarcely imagine any human being capable of it.

We were united.

First, in sorrow and anger.

Then in recognition we were attacked not for a wrong we had done, but for who we are — a people united in a kinship of ideals, committed to the notion that the people are sovereign, not governments, not armies, not a pitiless, inhumane theocracy, not kings, mullahs or tyrants, but the people.

In that moment, we were not different races.

We were not poor or rich. We were not Democrat or Republican, liberal or conservative. We were not two countries.

We were Americans.

All of us, despite the differences that enliven our politics, are united in the one big idea that freedom is our birthright and its defense is always our first responsibility.

All other responsibilities come second.

We must not lose sight of that as we debate who among us should bear the greatest responsibility for keeping us safe and free.

We must, whatever our disagreements, stick together in this great challenge of our time.

My friends in the Democratic Party — and I'm fortunate to call many of them my friends — assure us they share the conviction that winning the war against terrorism is our government's most important obligation.

I don't doubt their sincerity.

They emphasize that military action alone won't protect us, that this war has many fronts: in courts, financial institutions, in the shadowy world of intelligence, and in diplomacy.

They stress that America needs the help of her friends to combat an evil that threatens us all, that our alliances are as important to victory as are our armies.

We agree.

And, as we've been a good friend to other countries in moments of shared perils, so we have good reason to expect their solidarity with us in this struggle.

That is what the President believes.

And, thanks to his efforts we have received valuable assistance from many good friends around the globe, even if we have, at times, been disappointed with the reactions of some.

I don't doubt the sincerity of my Democratic friends. And they should not doubt ours.

Our President will work with all nations willing to help us defeat this scourge that afflicts us all.

War is an awful business. The lives of a nation's finest patriots are sacrificed. Innocent people suffer. Commerce is disrupted, economies are damaged.

Strategic interests shielded by years of statecraft are endangered as the demands of war and diplomacy conflict.

Sparrowhawk
08-30-04, 09:55 PM
However just the cause, we should shed a tear for all that is lost when war claims its wages from us.

But there is no avoiding this war. We tried that, and our reluctance cost us dearly. And while this war has many components, we can't make victory on the battlefield harder to achieve so that our diplomacy is easier to conduct.

That is not just an expression of our strength.

It's a measure of our wisdom.

That's why I commend to my country the re-election of President Bush (news - web sites), and the steady, experienced, public-spirited man who serves as our Vice-President, Dick Cheney (news - web sites).

Four years ago, in Philadelphia, I spoke of my confidence that President Bush would accept the responsibilities that come with America's distinction as the world's only superpower.

I promised he would not let America "retreat behind empty threats, false promises and uncertain diplomacy;" that he would "confidently defend our interests and values wherever they are threatened."

I knew my confidence was well placed when I watched him stand on the rubble of the World Trade Center, with his arm around a hero of September 11th, and in our moment of mourning and anger, strengthen our unity and summon our resolve by promising to right this terrible wrong, and to stand up and fight for the values we hold dear.

He promised our enemies would soon hear from us. And so they did.

So they did.

He ordered American forces to Afghanistan (news - web sites) and took the fight to our enemies, and away from our shores, seriously injuring al-Qaida and destroying the regime that gave them safe haven.

He worked effectively to secure the cooperation of Pakistan, a relationship that's critical to our success against al-Qaida.

He encouraged other friends to recognize the peril that terrorism posed for them, and won their help in apprehending many of those who would attack us again, and in helping to freeze the assets they used to fund their bloody work.

After years of failed diplomacy and limited military pressure to restrain Saddam Hussein (news - web sites), President Bush made the difficult decision to liberate Iraq (news - web sites).

Those who criticize that decision would have us believe that the choice was between a status quo that was well enough left alone and war. But there was no status quo to be left alone.

The years of keeping Saddam in a box were coming to a close. The international consensus that he be kept isolated and unarmed had eroded to the point that many critics of military action had decided the time had come again to do business with Saddam, despite his near daily attacks on our pilots, and his refusal, until his last day in power, to allow the unrestricted inspection of his arsenal.

Our choice wasn't between a benign status quo and the bloodshed of war.

It was between war and a graver threat. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Not our critics abroad. Not our political opponents.

And certainly not a disingenuous film maker who would have us believe that Saddam's Iraq was an oasis of peace when in fact it was a place of indescribable cruelty, torture chambers, mass graves and prisons that destroyed the lives of the small children held inside their walls.

Whether or not Saddam possessed the terrible weapons he once had and used, freed from international pressure and the threat of military action, he would have acquired them again.

The central security concern of our time is to keep such devastating weapons beyond the reach of terrorists who can't be dissuaded from using them by the threat of mutual destruction.

We couldn't afford the risk posed by an unconstrained Saddam in these dangerous times.

By destroying his regime we gave hope to people long oppressed that if they have the courage to fight for it, they may live in peace and freedom.

Most importantly, our efforts may encourage the people of a region that has never known peace or freedom or lasting stability that they may someday possess these rights.

I believe as strongly today as ever, the mission was necessary, achievable and noble.

For his determination to undertake it, and for his unflagging resolve to see it through to a just end, President Bush deserves not only our support, but our admiration.

As the President rightly reminds us, we are safer than we were on September 11th, but we're not yet safe. We are still closer to the beginning than the end of this fight.

We need a leader with the experience to make the tough decisions and the resolve to stick with them; a leader who will keep us moving forward even if it is easier to rest.

And this President will not rest until America is stronger and safer still, and this hateful iniquity is vanquished. He has been tested and has risen to the most important challenge of our time, and I salute him.

I salute his determination to make this world a better, safer, freer place.

He has not wavered. He has not flinched from the hard choices. He will not yield.

And neither will we.

I said earlier that the sacrifices in this war will not be shared equally by all Americans. The President is the first to observe, most of the sacrifices fall, as they have before, to the brave men and women of our Armed Forces. We may be good citizens, but make no mistake, they are the very best of us.

It's an honor to live in a country that is so well and so bravely defended by such patriots.

May God bless them, the living and the fallen, as He has blessed us with their service.

For their families, for their friends, for America, for mankind they sacrifice to affirm that right makes might; that good triumphs over evil; that freedom is stronger than tyranny; that love is greater than hate.

It is left to us to keep their generous benefaction alive, and our blessed, beautiful country worthy of their courage.

We should be thankful — for the privilege.

Our country's security doesn't depend on the heroism of every citizen. But we have to be worthy of the sacrifices made on our behalf.

We have to love our freedom, not just for the material benefits it provides, not just for the autonomy it guarantees us, but for the goodness it makes possible.

We have to love it as much, if not as heroically, as the brave Americans who defend us at the risk, and often the cost of their lives.

No American alive today will ever forget what happened on the morning of September 11th.

That day was the moment when the pendulum of history swung toward a new era.

The opening chapter was tinged with great sadness and uncertainty.

It shook us from our complacency in the belief that the Cold War's end had ushered in a time of global tranquility.

But an absence of complacency should not provoke an absence of confidence. What our enemies have sought to destroy is beyond their reach. It cannot be taken from us. It can only be surrendered.

My friends, we are again met on the field of political competition with our fellow countrymen.

It is more than appropriate, it is necessary that even in times of crisis we have these contests, and engage in spirited disagreement over the shape and course of our government.

We have nothing to fear from each other.

We are arguing over the means to better secure our freedom, and promote the general welfare.

But it should remain an argument among friends who share an unshaken belief in our great cause, and in the goodness of each other.

We are Americans first, Americans last, Americans always.

Let us argue our differences.

But remember we are not enemies, but comrades in a war against a real enemy, and take courage from the knowledge that our military superiority is matched only by the superiority of our ideals, and our unconquerable love for them.

Our adversaries are weaker than us in arms and men, but weaker still in causes. They fight to express a hatred for all that is good in humanity.

We fight for love of freedom and justice, a love that is invincible. Keep that faith. Keep your courage. Stick together. Stay strong.

Do not yield. Do not flinch. Stand up. Stand up with our President and fight.

We're Americans.

We're Americans, and we'll never surrender.

They will.

Sparrowhawk
08-30-04, 10:10 PM
After seeing Michael Moore give Sen. John McCain a losers sign at the RNC, I fired off this message to USA Today.

<hr>

Is this your representative at an American National Convention, putting up a "Losers" sign against John McCain as the US Senator spoke and before the National television audience.

I will never buy a USA Today newspaper ever again, and will urge hotels that I visit and supply them free to guest as well as all our military hospitals and military bases to do the same.

Does Michael Moore reflect USA Today's official position?

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040831/capt.rnc21908310222.cvn_moore_rnc219.jpg

Cook Barela, Riverside, CA.

eddief
08-30-04, 10:18 PM
Too bad Bush says we can't win the war on terror. I wonder what the troops will say when they hear about this.

Bush: 'War on terror cannot be won'

London Evening Standard | August 30 2004

President George Bush has acknowledged that he does not think the war on terror can be won, but said it would make it less acceptable for groups to use terrorism as a tool.

In a US TV interview, Bush, who has said he expects the war on terror to be a long, drawn-out battle, was asked: "Can we win it?"

The president replied: "I don't think you can win it. But I think you can create conditions so that the - those who use terror as a tool are - less acceptable in parts of the world."

As the Republican National Convention opens in New York today, Bush is campaigning in New Hampshire, a tiny swing state where a victory is not a sure bet.

It's his eighth trip to the state as president.

Four years ago, Bush won New Hampshire by 7,211 votes. While Republicans outnumber Democrats among the state's registered voters, more than a third of those registered have yet to declare for one party or the other.

Sparrowhawk
08-30-04, 10:19 PM
The text of former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani (news - web sites)'s speech as prepared for delivery Monday at the Republican National Convention:

___

Welcome to the capital of the World.

New York was the first capital of our great nation. It was here in 1789 in lower Manhattan that George Washington took the oath of office as the first President of the United States.

It was here in 2001 in lower Manhattan that President George W. Bush (news - web sites) stood amid the fallen towers of the World Trade Center and said to the barbaric terrorists who attacked us, "They will hear from us."

They have heard from us! They heard from us in Afghanistan (news - web sites) and we removed the Taliban. They heard from us in Iraq (news - web sites) and we ended Saddam Hussein (news - web sites)'s reign of terror.

They heard from us in Libya and without firing a shot Gadhafi abandoned weapons of mass destruction.

They are hearing from us in nations that are now more reluctant to sponsor terrorists.

So long as George Bush (news - web sites) is President, is there any doubt they will continue to hear from us until we defeat global terrorism.

We owe that much and more to those loved ones and heroes we lost on September 11th.

The families of some of those we lost on September 11th are here with us. To them, and all those families affected by September 11th, we recognize the sacrifices your loved ones and you have made. You are in our prayers and we are in your debt.

This is the first Republican Convention ever held in New York City. It makes a statement that New York City and America are open for business and stronger than ever.

We're not going to let the threat of terrorism stop us from leading our lives.

From the first Republican President, Abraham Lincoln, to President George W. Bush our party's great contribution is to expand freedom in our own land and all over the world.

And our party is at its best when it makes certain that we have a powerful national defense in a still very dangerous world.

I don't believe we're right about everything and Democrats are wrong about everything.

Neither party has a monopoly on virtue.

But I do believe that there are times in our history when our ideas are more necessary and important for what we are facing.

There are times when leadership is the most important.

On September 11, this city and our nation faced the worst attack in our history.

On that day, we had to confront reality. For me, standing below the north tower and looking up and seeing the flames of hell and then realizing that I was actually seeing a man — a human being — jumping from the 101st or 102nd floor drove home to me that we were facing something beyond anything we had ever faced before.

We had to concentrate all of our energy, faith and hope to get through those first hours and days. And I will always remember that moment as we escaped the building we were trapped in at 75 Barclay Street and realized that things outside might be even worse than they were inside the building.

We did the best we could to communicate a message of calm and hope, as we stood on the pavement seeing a massive cloud rushing through the cavernous streets of lower Manhattan.

Our people were so brave in their response.

At the time, we believed we would be attacked many more times that day and in the days that followed. Spontaneously, I grabbed the arm of then Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik and said to Bernie, "Thank God George Bush is our President."

And I say it again tonight, "Thank God George Bush is our President."

On September 11, George W. Bush had been President less than eight months. This new president, vice president, and new administration were faced with the worst crisis in our history.

President Bush (news - web sites)'s response in keeping us unified and in turning the ship of state around from being solely on defense against terrorism to being on offense as well and for his holding us together.

For that and then his determined effort to defeat global terrorism, no matter what happens in this election, President George W. Bush already has earned a place in our history as a great American president.

But let's not wait for history to present the correct view of our president. Let us write our own history. We need George Bush now more than ever.

The horror, the shock and the devastation of those attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon (news - web sites) and over the skies of Pennsylvania lifted a cloud from our eyes.

We stood face to face with those people and forces who hijacked not just airplanes but a religion and turned it into a creed of terrorism dedicated to eradicating us and our way of life.

Terrorism did not start on September 11, 2001. It had been festering for many years.

And the world had created a response to it that allowed it to succeed. The attack on the Israeli team at the Munich Olympics was in 1972. And the pattern had already begun.

The three surviving terrorists were arrested and within two months released by the German government.

Action like this became the rule, not the exception. Terrorists came to learn they could attack and often not face consequences.

In 1985, terrorists attacked the Achille Lauro and murdered an American citizen who was in a wheelchair, Leon Klinghoffer.

They marked him for murder solely because he was Jewish.

Some of those terrorists were released and some of the remaining terrorists allowed to escape by the Italian government because of fear of reprisals.

Sparrowhawk
08-30-04, 10:19 PM
So terrorists learned they could intimidate the world community and too often the response, particularly in Europe, was "accommodation, appeasement and compromise."

And worse the terrorists also learned that their cause would be taken more seriously, almost in direct proportion to the barbarity of the attack.

Terrorist acts became a ticket to the international bargaining table.

How else to explain Yasser Arafat (news - web sites) winning the Nobel Peace Prize when he was supporting a terrorist plague in the Middle East that undermined any chance of peace?

Before September 11, we were living with an unrealistic view of the world much like our observing Europe appease Hitler or trying to accommodate ourselves to peaceful coexistence with the Soviet Union through mutually assured destruction.

President Bush decided that we could no longer be just on defense against global terrorism but we must also be on offense.

On September 20, 2001, President Bush stood before a joint session of Congress, a still grieving and shocked nation and a confused world and he did change the direction of our ship of state.

He dedicated America under his leadership to destroying global terrorism.

The president announced the Bush Doctrine when he said: "Our war on terror begins with al-Qaida, but it does not end there.

It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated.

"Either you are with us or you are with the terrorists."

And since September 11th President Bush has remained rock solid.

It doesn't matter how he is demonized. It doesn't matter what the media does to ridicule him or misinterpret him or defeat him.

They ridiculed Winston Churchill. They belittled Ronald Reagan (news - web sites).

But like President Bush, they were optimists; leaders must be optimists. Their vision was beyond the present and set on a future of real peace and true freedom.

Some call it stubbornness. I call it principled leadership. President Bush has the courage of his convictions.

In choosing a president, we really don't choose a Republican or Democrat, a conservative or liberal.

We choose a leader.

And in times of danger, as we are now in, Americans should put leadership at the core of their decision.

There are many qualities that make a great leader but having strong beliefs, being able to stick with them through popular and unpopular times, is the most important characteristic of a great leader.

Winston Churchill saw the dangers of Hitler while his opponents characterized him as a warmongering gadfly.

Ronald Reagan saw and described the Soviet Union as "the evil empire" while world opinion accepted it as inevitable and belittled Ronald Reagan's intelligence.

President Bush sees world terrorism for the evil that it is. John Kerry (news - web sites) has no such clear, precise and consistent vision. This is not a personal criticism of John Kerry. I respect him for his service to our nation.

But it is important to see the contrast in approach between the two men; President Bush, a leader who is willing to stick with difficult decisions even as public opinion shifts, and John Kerry, whose record in elected office suggests a man who changes his position often even on important issues.

When Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait in 1990, John Kerry voted against the Persian Gulf War (news - web sites). Later he said he actually supported the war.

Then in 2002, as he was calculating his run for president, he voted for the war in Iraq.

And then just 9 months later, he voted against an $87 billion supplemental budget to fund the war and support our troops.

He even, at one point, declared himself an anti-war candidate. Now, he says he's pro-war. At this rate, with 64 days left, he still has time to change his position at least three or four more times.

My point about John Kerry being inconsistent is best described in his own words when he said, "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it."

Maybe this explains John Edwards (news - web sites)' need for two Americas — one where John Kerry can vote for something and another where he can vote against the same thing.

Yes, people in public office at times do change their minds, I've done that, or they realize they are wrong or circumstances change.

But John Kerry has made it the rule to change his position, rather than the exception. In October, 2003, he told an Arab-American Institute in Detroit that a security barrier separating Israel from the Palestinian Territories was a "barrier to peace."

A few months later, he took exactly the opposite position. In an interview with the Jerusalem Post he said, "Israel's security fence is a legitimate act of self defense."

The contrasts are dramatic. They involve very different views of how to deal with terrorism. President Bush will make certain that we are combatting terrorism at the source, beyond our shores, so we can reduce the risk of having to confront it in the streets of New York.

John Kerry's record of inconsistent positions on combatting terrorism gives us no confidence he'll pursue such a determined course.

President Bush will not allow countries that appear to have ignored the lessons of history and failed for over thirty years to stand up to terrorists, to dissuade us from what is necessary for our defense.

He will not let them set our agenda. Under President Bush, America will lead rather than follow.

John Kerry's claim that certain foreign leaders who opposed our removal of Saddam Hussein prefer him, raises the risk that he would accommodate his position to their viewpoint.

It would hardly be the first time he changed his position on matters of war and peace.

I remember the days following September 11th when we were no longer Democrats or Republicans, but Americans determined to do all we could to help the victims, to rebuild our city and nation and to disable our enemies.

I remember President Bush coming here on September 14, 2001 and lifting the morale of our rescue workers by talking with them and embracing them and staying with them much longer than originally planned.

In fact, if you promise to keep it just between us so I don't get in trouble it was my opinion that the Secret Service was concerned about the president remaining so long in that area.

With buildings still unstable, with fires raging below ground of 2000 degrees or more, there was good reason for concern.

Well the president remained there and talked to everyone, the firefighters, the police officers, the healthcare workers, the clergy, but the people who spent the most time with him were our construction workers.

Now New York construction workers are very special people. I'm sure this is true all over but I know the ones here the best. They were real heroes along with many others that day, volunteering immediately. And they're big, real big. Their arms are bigger than my legs and their opinions are even bigger than their arms. Now each one of them would engage the president and I imagine like his cabinet give him advice. They were advising him in their own words on exactly what he should do with the terrorists. Of course I can't repeat their exact language.

But one of them really went into great detail and upon conclusion of his remarks President Bush said in a rather loud voice, "I agree."

At this point the guy just beamed and all his buddies turned toward him in amazement.

The guy just lost it.

So he reached over, embraced the president and began hugging him enthusiastically.

A Secret Service agent standing next to me looked at the president and the guy and instead of extracting the president from this bear hug, he turned toward me and put his finger in my face and said, "If this guy hurts the president, Giuliani you're finished."

Meekly, and this is the moral of the story, I responded, "but it would be out of love."

I also remember the heart wrenching visit President Bush made to the families of our firefighters and police officers at the Javits Center.

I remember receiving all the help, assistance and support from the president and even more than we asked.

For that I will be eternally grateful to President Bush.

And I remember the support being bipartisan and actually standing hand in hand Republicans and Democrats, here in New York and all over the nation.

During a Boston Red Sox game there was a sign held up saying Boston loves New York.

Sparrowhawk
08-30-04, 10:20 PM
I saw a Chicago police officer sent here by Mayor Daley directing traffic in Manhattan.

I'm not sure where he sent the cars, they are probably still riding around the Bronx, but it was very reassuring to know how much support we had.

And as we look beyond this election — and elections do accentuate differences — let's make sure we rekindle that spirit that we are one — one America — united to end the threat of global terrorism.

Certainly President Bush will keep us focused on that goal. When President Bush announced his commitment to ending global terrorism, he understood — I understood, we all understood — it was critical to remove the pillars of support for the global terrorist movement.

In any plan to destroy global terrorism, removing Saddam Hussein needed to be accomplished.

Frankly, I believed then and I believe now that Saddam Hussein, who supported global terrorism, slaughtered hundreds of thousands of his own people, permitted horrific atrocities against women, and used weapons of mass destruction, was himself a weapon of mass destruction.

But the reasons for removing Saddam Hussein were based on issues even broader than just the presence of weapons of mass destruction.

To liberate people, give them a chance for accountable, decent government and rid the world of a pillar of support for global terrorism is something for which all those involved from President Bush to the brave men and women of our armed forces should be proud.

President Bush has also focused on the correct long-term answer for the violence and hatred emerging from the Middle East. The hatred and anger in the Middle East arises from the lack of accountable governments.

Rather than trying to grant more freedom, create more income, improve education and basic health care, these governments deflect their own failures by pointing to America and Israel and other external scapegoats.

But blaming these scapegoats does not improve the life of a single person in the Arab world. It does not relieve the plight of even one woman in Iran.

It does not give a decent living to a single soul in Syria. It certainly does not stop the slaughter of African Christians in the Sudan.

The changes necessary in the Middle East involve encouraging accountable, lawful governments that can be role models.

This has also been an important part of the Bush Doctrine and the president's vision for the future.

Have faith in the power of freedom.

People who live in freedom always prevail over people who live in oppression. That's the story of the Old Testament. That's the story of World War II and the Cold War.

That's the story of the firefighters and police officers and rescue workers who courageously saved thousands of lives on September 11, 2001.

President Bush is the leader we need for the next four years because he sees beyond today and tomorrow. He has a vision of a peaceful Middle East and, therefore, a safer world. We will see an end to global terrorism. I can see it. I believe it. I know it will happen.

It may seem a long way off. It may even seem idealistic. But it may not be as far away and idealistic as it seems.

Look how quickly the Berlin Wall was torn down, the Iron Curtain ripped open and the Soviet Union disintegrated because of the power of the pent-up demand for freedom.

When it catches hold there is nothing more powerful than freedom. Give it some hope, and it will overwhelm dictators, and even defeat terrorists. That is what we have done and must continue to do in Iraq.

That is what the Republican Party does best — when we are at our best, we extend freedom.

It's our mission. And it's the long-term answer to ending global terrorism. Governments that are free and accountable.

We have won many battles — at home and abroad — but as President Bush told us on September 20, 2001 it will take a long-term determined effort to prevail.

The war on terrorism will not be won in a single battle. There will be no dramatic surrender. There will be no crumbling of a massive wall.

But we will know it. We'll know it as accountable governments continue to develop in countries like Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq.

We'll know it as terrorist attacks throughout the world decrease and then end.

And then, God willing, we'll all be able on a future anniversary of September 11th to say to our fallen brothers and sisters, to our heroes of the worst attack in our history and to our heroes who have sacrificed their lives in the war on terror.

We will say to them we have done all that we could with our lives that were spared to make your sacrifices build a world of real peace and true freedom.

We will make certain in the words of President Bush that they have heard from us.

That they have heard from us a message of peace through free, accountable, lawful and decent governments giving people hope for a future for themselves and their children.

God bless each one we have lost, here and abroad, and their families. God bless all those defending our freedom. God bless America.

Sparrowhawk
08-30-04, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by eddief
Too bad Bush says we can't win the war on terror. I wonder what the troops will say when they hear about this...

Bush: 'War on terror cannot be won'

London Evening Standard | August 30 2004

President George Bush has acknowledged that he does not think the war on terror can be won, but said it would make it less acceptable for groups to use terrorism as a tool.

In a US TV interview, Bush, who has said he expects the war on terror to be a long, drawn-out battle, was asked: "Can we win it?"

Bush is right

The war on Terror has been going on since Cain slew Abel and the Arab assassin has always been there, and as long as there is evil in the world, terrorism will be there, doing what they do best in the darkness and in shadows and in secret.

Yes, Bush is right, we can never as the Bible says win this war on terror especially not the Arab terrorist because the Arab mind is as the bible says a jack-ass of a mind with his hand against his brother and his brothers hand against each other.

They will always be at war with each other and with the nations of the world, because of the evil intentions of their hearts; the bible says they have been given over to a depraved mind.

You cannot negotiate with them, as Kerry believes he can do, as he tried to do with the Communist.

The Terrorist will always be among us, as they have been in the past, and have committed their acts in other nations. It’s only that now we have tasted their sickness here at home, in America on 9-11.

What an opportunity our armed forces have to be fighting this GLOBAL WAR on terrorism, against such odds, because when the terrorist is hunted in his own turf, he becomes paranoid and becomes defensive instead of offensive.

That is what Bush is doing....

eddief
08-30-04, 10:55 PM
We wouldn't even have to be fighting this war on terror if we had just followed the advice of George Washinton ( a truly great president) on "entangling alliances". Instead we had to go on the same road of imperialism that our former British masters had tread upon.

al20852
08-31-04, 11:01 AM
Pres is right. A war on terror which ends conventionally (i.e. with a surrender) is impossible with people who view dying for their casue as preferable. All you can hope to to is weaken them, keep them occupied, kill as many as you can. Better to do all of that on foreign soil than here at home.

Frankly, I think Bush's comment means he has given a lot more thought on this issue than I would haver expected. He has no illusions about where we go from here. Contrast that with Kerry, who has illusions (delusions?) that somehow the rest of the world will join in to bail us out if he is elected.

Sparrowhawk
08-31-04, 11:11 AM
Was there before George was born. Even when these nations have been given great opportunity to experience true friendship with other nations, they have chosen instead to repay that alliance with terror.

Look at Beirut, Lebanon, it was once a very cosmopolitan city and the place to vacation at. It enjoyed great wealth and educational opportunities. It was once the trading center of the eastern Mediterranean.

That is until 1975 when a brutal civil war (religious war) broke out in Lebanon. During most of the war, the city was divided between the largely Muslim west part and the Christian east. The central area of the city, previously the locus of much of the commercial and cultural activities, became a no man's land. Many of the city's best and brightest inhabitants fled to other countries. It remains today a very base nation, controlled by Syria, and Muslim religious leaders. Turkey and Egypt also were once great nations, and could be great places to visit, except for the presence of Muslim terrorist in their midst causing their own government problems, because their leaders will not fight a religious war against a false prophet that the people believe in his teaching because that is what they have been brainwashed with and only know that those teaching must be followed no matter what.

Freedom of imperialism as you call it is at their backdoor, but religious leaders hold them back, from enjoying fully its liberty.

I don't know if what we have offered to the world can be called "imperialism," fly over Iran today with planeloads of "Levi's" and drop them and you'll have the youth engaged in revolution against their religious leaders in no time, well I guess that is Imperialism, but it seems to be one that many countries of the world want, the problem is what we are experiencing here at home.

It used to be people came here to be Americans, today they want the freedom and pleasures we offer, and wanting to retain their culture and way of life is still not a problem, however when they insist that we become inclusive and adopt their ways and celebrations in our schools and social institutions for their good, then we have been victims of oppressive imperialism and will no longer enjoy the freedom we enjoy as Americans.

thedrifter
08-31-04, 11:46 AM
Posted on Tue, Aug. 31, 2004

Delegate Wears 'Purple Heart' Bandages

WILL LESTER

Associated Press

NEW YORK - A GOP delegate handed out bandages with purple hearts on them Monday night at the Republican National Convention in a swipe at Democratic nominee John Kerry's war record, but national GOP officials have asked him to stop.

The bandages were handed out by Morton Blackwell, a longtime GOP activist from Virginia, with the message: "It was just a self-inflicted scratch, but you see I got a Purple Heart for it."

Kerry won three Purple Hearts, a Silver Star and a bronze star for his service in the Vietnam War. A group calling itself Swift Boat Veterans for Truth has been attacking Kerry as a liar through campaign ads and media interviews, but Kerry's wartime experiences have been backed by crewmates and official records.

"It is inexcusable for a delegate to mock anyone who has ever put on a soldier's uniform," said Democratic Chairman Terry McAuliffe. "It is inexcusable to mock service and sacrifice."

Blackwell, who gave out almost 250 of the bandages, said Vietnam veterans have every right to be angry about anti-war comments Kerry made after returning to this country.

GOP Chairman Ed Gillespie spoke to Blackwell and they agreed that he would not distribute the bandages Tuesday night," said Republican spokesman Jim Dyke. "This was not a party activity, but he was acting as an individual."

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/politics/9540230.htm

Ellie

radio relay
08-31-04, 12:21 PM
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie....

You, and your intollerant, hate filled buddies on the left, prove by opening your mouths.. er tapping your keyboards, that you are totally clueless fools!!!

You spout meaningless, anti-American propaganda, regurgitated from the long gone era of the communist Soviet Union, and think you are making a profound point in favor of your side.

Sorry, Eddie. All you are doing is displaying your supreme ignorance and ugly bigotry. Yet, another quality you share with Michael Moore, Osama Bin Ladin, and the rest of your heros.

BTW, you're forgetting to spell America with a "k". Your heros won't like that.

Osotogary
08-31-04, 12:24 PM
I believe Michael Moore needs SERE Training!

Sparrowhawk
08-31-04, 12:26 PM
Send me some of those bandages, I'll wear them against that self-serving self-wounding liar.

I know of Marines in the heat of battle or because they met their limits self inflicted wounds to get out of the field.

And, because of what I saw, I don't blame them. There is a difference when one self inflicts a wound because they have seen war, because they have fought the enemy and fear the enemy because they have met their limit.

But a self-inflicted wound for self-glorification and to get an underserved Purple Heart medal is totally different.

Now of those Marines that injured themselves to get out of harms way, they did not seek a Purple Heart for it afterwards, its a wound that they have I believe long regretted, but they had met their limit and I its over, not so with Kerry who continues to point to those self inflicted wounds as a badge of honor.

Send me those bandages, and I will gladly distribute them for what they represent for Kerry.

radio relay
08-31-04, 12:40 PM
The two show case speeches last night of John McCain, and Rudolf Giuliani were awesome. No whining about the poor not being given everything without working for it, no crying about healthcare, no stupid, illogical second guessing of everything and anything that GW Bush has done. Just straight forward talk. Basically, we were attacked, George W. Bush has the balls to attack back, and to hell with anyone in the rest of the world that don't like it!!!

Also, McCain, a bonafide war hero, with many, many more medals than John "Fonda" Kerry, ever brought back, and each one earned , did not mention Vietnam, once. A distinct breath of fresh air!!

I'm not a republican. Nor am I a democrat. However, in today's America, Republicans make me proud. Democrats make me ashamed!!!

eddief
08-31-04, 02:55 PM
radio relay
Show me where I have been a bigot on this forum. If you mean what I say about Israel, then you must think criticism of the Israeli government and their lobbying groups is anti-semetic (it isn't). I don't get what you mean by saying I'm anti-American. I criticize what I think our leaders are doing wrong because I love my country. Now you can say I'm dead wrong in what I believe, but you're way off base when you say I'm anti-American. As for you insinuating that I'm a commie, that just makes me laugh because I'm a staunch free market capitalist pig (that's what the real commies would call me). I also don't know why you say Michael Moore and Osama are my heroes. I want to see Osama's head on a stick. Michael Moore to me is just a biased entertainer that makes some points that I agree with and some that I don't. I just have a different political view than you. It doesn't mean I hate America.

radio relay
08-31-04, 03:38 PM
Eddie,

You quack the the anti-American, communist line continually on this website! Then, when your bluff is called, you try to wrap yourself in some religious, capitalist, Marine Corps flag.

Go back and read your posts, if don't recognise them as anti-semetic, anti-American, throwbacks to the drivel that came out of the soviet communist backed protest movements of the sixties, then you're either naive, stupid, or brain damaged.

If it quacks like a duck.... it must be a friggin' duck!!!

cknow
08-31-04, 03:51 PM
ed die f he only knew what a dis-service he does to himself.

hrscowboy
08-31-04, 03:59 PM
man you boys are playin rough again today....

eddief
08-31-04, 04:09 PM
radio relay
I've never said anything anti-semetic on this forum. Criticizing the Israeli government and lobby is not anti-semetic. I've also never said anything anti-American. I've said I'm against the war in Iraq, but so were a lot of good patriotic Americans (including conservatives). And I believe we have entangled ourselves in alliances that have not helped our country (against the advice of George Washington- I must really hate America if one of my heroes is one of the founding fathers!) As for my comments on empire, quite a few conservatives believe we are an empire (Ron Paul, Pat Buchanan, and many other libertarian leaning folks). Even the late great General Smedley Butler in his "War is a Racket" speech alluded to American Empire. Was this great Marine being anti-American when he railed against war profiteers and empire?

al20852
08-31-04, 04:10 PM
We wouldn't even have to be fighting this war on terror if we had just followed the advice of George Washinton ( a truly great president) on "entangling alliances". Instead we had to go on the same road of imperialism that our former British masters had tread upon.

Eddie - By "entangling alliances" I assume you mean support for Israel, the only democracy in the Middle East. You are naive if you believe that Osama and his ilk wouldn't come after us if we just changed our policies in the region. They want to destroy us not because of what we do but because of who we are and what we represent.

This is one of the big differences between Bush and Kerry. Bush seems to understand who we are dealing with, and recognizes that the only way to defeat the enemy is to destroy him. Kerry seems to believe that the enemy can be reasoned with. I don't believe that for one minute. Might as well try to negotiate with a rock.

eddief
08-31-04, 04:12 PM
"It is not anti-Semitic to criticize the policies of the state of Israel." -- Colin Powell

eddief
08-31-04, 04:31 PM
al20852
Yes sir, you are most likely right , but if we had been more evenhanded with the Israeli-Palestinian conflict it might have made terrorist recruitment a little tougher. Also our support of the brutal Shah of Iran helped to radicalize the population against us in the late '70s. Our support of Saddam and his Baathist party in the '80s turned around to bite us in the ass as well. One of the reasons that people hate us is because we support dictatorships when it coincides with our foreign policy. Our leaders then say that these dictators are sons of *****es, but at least they're our sons of *****es. There was also no Islamic terrorism against the US and US interests before Israel swept into what became the occupied territories (of course justifiably because she was attacked by the Arabs). That was the domino that fell that began the domino effect of increasingly radicalized Islamic fundamentalism.

radio relay
08-31-04, 05:39 PM
Eddie,

Ah yes, your deep and abiding love of the founding fathers. How touching. Doesn't prove a GD thing!! You're an anti-American, and your comments prove it! So, stop trying to squirm out of it.

You know nothing about what the Shah Of Iran, was, or was not. Funny, how you parrot the leftwing, "terrible, brutal dictator" mantra. Don't you airheads on the left ever do any original thinking, or do you just pass your little leaflets around. Cast them to rote memory. Then vomit their contents whenever the time seems right.

Actually, the Shah brought a much higher, and enlightened standard of living to the people of Iran than the stinking mullahs ever have. Women had real rights. People had access to the ideas and beliefs of all cultures. The religious secret police didn't lurk around every corner, and under every bed. Oh, and the people also had a bigger share of the oil money than they do under the islamo-fascist mullahs. Life was good for Iranians under the Shah. He was indeed brutal to the radical islamic fascists. You know, those sweethearts that think anybody who is not a muslim should be killed. Nice people. The only way to deal with them is brutally.

Then, another one of your idols, Jimmy "Peanut" Carter, decided to stab the Shah in the back, and support the mullahs. Now we have a state that sponsors terror around the world. Oh yeah, they also brutally kill, rape, and torture any Iranian who doesn't obey them!

Why do you leftwingers support "brutal" islamic dictators? What? You like dictators who murder their own? What? We should be patting them on their collective behinds, and offering them milk and cookies. After all, we gotta be liked! Enlighten me. I need a good laugh.

There was good reason to support Saddam in the seventies, and eighties. He had founded a state that was based on secular religious freedom, which embraced western culture and ideas. If I'm not mistaken, he was also best friends with some of your other most admired countries, France, and Russia. Right up until the bitter end.

Unlike the Europeans, we had enough sense to dump the s.o.b., and then found a President with enough guts to go after him, and remove him. Seems to me, the ass biting was done by the 1st, 2cd, and 3rd Marine Divisions, with a little help from some Army units ;) , about a year and half ago.

BTW, if you're so damned concerned about Israel's influence on the United States, then where are your same concerns for other countries which are a much greater threat? I.E. China, Mexico, Canada, Russia, Germany, and Korea, to name a few. Could it be your anti-semetism? hmmm????

eddief
08-31-04, 05:59 PM
radio relay
Those countries you mentioned are threats in one way or another, but they don't have a powerful lobby that has sway in DC. They have no influence in DC whatsoever. Do you understand? As for your ignorant allegations of anti-semetism, that's just what it is- sheer ignorance (or stupidity?) on your part. I also know plenty about the Shah of Iran. The brutality of his secrety police was well documented. The Iranians eventually traded in a secular dictatorship for a theocratic one. And when did I say Jimmy Carter was an idol of mine? Don't ASSume things about me. I thought he was a complete failure as a president. The only thing that I do give him credit for is the peace deal between Israel and Egypt. When did I say I supported Islamic dictators? I believed Saddam was contained by the no fly zones and the fear of his own army trying to pull a coup on him. Many respected military men held this view. Does that mean they love Saddam? As for you saying I admire France and Russia, that couldn't be further from the truth. I despise that murderous KGB chump Putin clamping down on freedom of the press in Russia, and I despise jackass Chirac giving intelligence to Saddam and putting our troops in danger. I'm just a loyal (to America without a k) dissenter who you happen to disagree with- no more no less. Thanks for your insulting posts. They were highly entertaining to me and completely laughable. Later dude. Don't hate the playa. Hate the game.

Sparrowhawk
08-31-04, 09:09 PM
Excerpts of Remarks by Governor Schwarzenegger as Prepared for Delivery at the 2004 Republican National Convention on Tuesday, August 31, 2004

'Fulfilling America's Promise: Building a Safer World and
a More Hopeful America'

NEW YORK, Aug. 31 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, the convention will pay tribute to the compassion of the American people.

The following are excerpts from remarks by Governor Schwarzenegger to the 2004 Republican National Convention.

Governor Schwarzenegger on the Republican Party:

"I'm proud to belong to the party of Abraham Lincoln, the party of Teddy Roosevelt, the party of Ronald Reagan - and the party of George W. Bush. To my fellow immigrants listening tonight, I want you to know how welcome you are in this party. We Republicans admire your ambition. We encourage your dreams. We believe in your future."

Governor Schwarzenegger on the American Dream:

"In this country, it doesn't make any difference where you were born. It doesn't make any difference who your parents were. It doesn't make any difference if, like me, you couldn't even speak English until you were in your twenties. America gave me opportunities, and my immigrant dreams came true. I want other people to get the same chances I did, the same opportunities. And I believe they can. That's why I believe in this country, that's why I believe in this Party - and that's why I believe in this President."

Governor Schwarzenegger on the compassion of the American people:

"We're the America that sends out Peace Corps volunteers to teach village children. We're the America that sends out missionaries and doctors to raise up the poor and the sick. We're the America that gives more than any other country, to fight AIDS in Africa and the developing world. And we're the
America that fights not for imperialism but for human rights and democracy."

Governor Schwarzenegger on the compassion and perseverance of the American people:

"Ladies and gentlemen, America is back. Back from the attack on our homeland - back from the attack on our economy - back from the attack on our way of life. We're back because of the perseverance, character and leadership of the 43rd President of the United States - George W. Bush. My fellow Americans, I want you to know that I believe with all my heart that America
remains 'the great idea' that inspires the world."

Sparrowhawk
08-31-04, 09:17 PM
Thank you, George. I like being introduced by the President of the United States. And Barbara and Jenna, you were great. We are so proud of you both. I want to recognize thebest father and Mother-in-law anyone could ever ask for: President Bush and BarbaraBush.

And my husbands brothers and sister who have become my brothers and sister too.

Watching tonight from her home in Midland, Texas, my mother, Jenna Welch. Thank you for the wonderful privilege you have given my husband and me of serving this great
country.

Our lives have been enriched by meeting so many of our fellow Americans. As we've visited your communities, we have witnessed your decency, kindness and character. I am
enjoying this campaign. It has reminded me of our very first one, 26 years ago. George and I were newlyweds and he was running for Congress. Our transportation wasn't quite
as fancy back then - an Oldsmobile Cutlass, and George was behind the wheel. Even then, he was always on time and he knew exactly where he wanted to go. You learn a lot
about your husband when you spend that much time in a car with him. By the end of the campaign, he had even convinced me to vote for him.

This time I don't need any convincing. I am so proud of the way George has led our country with strength and conviction.
Tonight, I want to try to answer the question that I believe many people would ask me if we sat down for a cup of coffee or ran into each other at the store: You know him better than anyone - you've seen things no one else has seen - why do you think we should reelect your husband as President.

As you might imagine, I have a lot to say about that.
I could talk about my passion, education. At every school we visit, the students are so eager. Last fall the President and I walked into an elementary school in Hawaii, and a
little 2nd-grader came out to welcome us and bellowed, "George Washington!" Close, just the wrong George W."

When my husband took office, too many schools were leaving too many children behind, so he worked with Congress to pass sweeping education reform. The No Child Left
Behind Act provides historic levels of funding with an unprecedented commitment to higher standards, strong accountability and proven methods of instruction. We are
determined to provide a quality education for every child in America.

Sparrowhawk
08-31-04, 09:18 PM
I could talk about the small business owners and entrepreneurs who are now creating most of the new jobs in our country... women like Carmella Chaifos - the only woman to own a tow truck company in all of Iowa. The President's tax relief helped Carmella to buy the business, and modernize her fleet, and expand her operations. Carmela is living proof of what she told me. She said: "If you're determined and you want to work hard,
you can do anything you want to. That's the beautiful thing about America."

I could talk about health care. For years, leaders in both parties said we should provide prescription drug coverage in Medicare. George was able to bring Republicans and Democrats together to get it done.

I could talk about the fact that my husband is the first President to provide federal funding for stem cell research. - He did so in a principled way, allowing science to explore its potential while respecting the dignity of human life.

I could talk about the record increase in home ownership. Home ownership in America, especially minority home ownership is at an all time high.

All of these issues are important. But we are living in the midst of the most historic struggle my generation has ever known. The stakes are so high. So I want to talk about the issue that I believe is most important for my own daughters, for all our families, and for our future: George's work to protect our country and defeat terror so that all children can grow up in a more peaceful world.

As we gather in this hall and around our television sets tonight, Joshua Crane stands watch aboard the USS John C. Stennis. His brothers Matthew and Nicholas stand watch near Fallujah. At home in Colorado, their mother Cindy stands watch too - with worry, and prayer. She told me all three of her sons enlisted after September 11, because they recognized the threat to our country. Our nation is grateful to all the men and women of
our armed forces who are standing guard on the front lines of freedom.

A Dad whose wife is deployed in Iraq recently wrote about what he is learning as he struggles to rear his three children alone. "I have ruined at least three loads of laundry," he said, "Once you turn everything pink, it stays pink." He goes on: "I have learned what our soldiers' wives have known for generations: hope and grief and perseverance."

This time of war has been a time of great hardship for our military families. The President and I want all our men and women in uniform and their wives and husbands, mothers and fathers, sons and daughters to know we appreciate their sacrifice. We know it will mean a more peaceful future for our children and grandchildren.

No American President ever wants to go to war. Abraham Lincoln didn't want to go to war, but he knew saving the union required it. Franklin Roosevelt didn't want to go to war - but he knew defeating tyranny demanded it. And my husband didn't want to go to war, but he knew the safety and security of America and the world depended on it.

I remember some very quiet nights at the dinner table. George was weighing grim scenarios and ominous intelligence about potentially even more devastating attacks.

I listened many nights as George talked with foreign leaders on the phone, or in our living room, or at our ranch in Crawford. I remember an intense weekend at Camp David.

George and Prime Minister Tony Blair were discussing the threat from Saddam Hussein.

And I remember sitting in the window of the White House, watching as my husband walked on the lawn below. I knew he was wrestling with these agonizing decisions that would have such profound consequence for so many lives and for the future of our world.

And I was there when my husband had to decide. Once again, as in our parents' generation, America had to make the tough choices, the hard decisions, and lead the world toward greater security and freedom.

I wasn't born when my father went to World War II. Like so many of our greatest generation he is gone now, lost to Alzheimer's nine years ago. He served in the US Army in Europe for almost three years, and helped liberate Nordhausen, one of the
concentration camps. You can imagine his horror at what he found there. The methods of the terrorists we face today are different - but my father would know this struggle.

Our parents' generation confronted tyranny and liberated millions. As we do the hard work of confronting today's threat - we can also be proud that 50 million more men, women and children live in freedom thanks to the United States of America and our allies.

After years of being treated as virtual prisoners in their own homes by the Taliban, the women of Afghanistan are going back to work. After being denied an education, even the chance to learn to read, -- the little girls in Afghanistan are now in school. Almost every eligible voter - over ten million Afghan citizens - have registered to vote in this fall's presidential election. More than 40 percent of them women. And wasn't it wonderful to watch the Olympics and see that beautiful Afghan sprinter race in long pants and a t-shirt, exercising her new freedom while respecting the traditions of her country.

I recently met a young Iraqi woman. She is one of the new Iraqi Fulbright scholars.

She survived horrific ordeals, including the gassing of her village by Saddam Hussein. She told me that when people look at Iraq, what they don't see is that Iraq is a country of 25 million people, each with their own hope.

As we watch the people of Iraq and Afghanistan take the first steps to build free countries, I am reminded of what Vaclav Havel told me. Vaclav Havel -- playwright, intellectual, freedom fighter, political prisoner, then President of the Czech Republic --
said "Laura, you know, democracy is hard: it requires the participation of everybody." I think of how long it took us in our country, even though we were given such a perfect document by our founders. It took almost 100 years after the founders declared that all men are created equal for America to abolish slavery-- and not until 84 years ago this month did American women get the right to vote. Our nation has not always lived up to its ideals -- yet those ideals have never ceased to guide us. They expose our flaws, and lead us to mend them. We are the beneficiaries of the work of the generations before us and it is each generation's responsibility to continue that work.

These last three years since September 11, have been difficult years in our country's history, years that have demanded the hope, grief and perseverance that our soldier's husband wrote about. We've learned some lessons we didn't want to know - that our country is more vulnerable than we thought, that some people hate us because we stand for liberty, religious freedom and tolerance. But we have been heartened to discover that we are also braver than we thought, stronger and more generous.

These have been years of change for our family as well. Our girls went off to college and graduated, and now they are back home. We are so happy they are campaigning with us this fall and so proud they will be pursuing their own careers soon. My mother moved out of my childhood home and into a retirement community. We lost our beloved dog Spotty, and had our hearts warmed by the antics of Barney.

People ask me all the time whether George has changed. He's a little grayer - and of course, he has learned and grown as we all have. But he's still the same person I met at a backyard barbecue in Midland, Texas and married three months later. And you've come to know many of the same things that I know about him. He'll always tell you what he really thinks. You can count on him, especially in a crisis. His friends don't change - and neither do his values. He has boundless energy and enthusiasm for his job, and for life itself.

He treats every person he meets with dignity and respect; the same dignity and respect he has for the office he holds. And he's a loving man, with a big heart. I've seen tears as he has hugged families who've lost loved ones. I've seen him return the salute of
soldiers wounded in battle. And then, being George, he's invites them to come visit us at the White House. And they've come, bringing an infectious spirit of uniquely American confidence that we are doing the right thing and that our future will be better because of our actions today.

Many of my generation remember growing up at the height of the Cold War, hiding under desks during civil defense drills in case the communists attacked us. And now, when parents ask me, what should we tell our children - I think about those desks. We
need to reassure our children that our police and firemen, and military and intelligence workers are doing everything possible to keep them safe.

We need to remind them that most people in the world are good. And we need to explain that because of strong American leadership in the past we don't hide under our desks anymore. Because of President Bush's leadership and the bravery of our men and women in uniform, I believe our children will grow up in a world where today's terror alerts have also become a thing of the past.

These are also years of hope for our country and our people. We have great confidence in our ability to overcome challenges. We have gained a new appreciation for the many blessings of America, and been reminded of our responsibilities to the country that we love.

George and I grew up in West Texas, where the sky seems endless* and so do the possibilities. He brings that optimism, that sense of promise, that certainty that a better day is before us to his job every day - and with your help, he'll do so for four more years.

These are times that require an especially strong and determined leader. And I'm proud that my husband is that kind of leader.
Thank you, God bless you and God bless America.

Sparrowhawk
08-31-04, 10:34 PM
Text of Schwarzenegger's Speech at RNC

By The Associated Press

The text of a speech by California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (news - web sites), as prepared for delivery Tuesday at the Republican National Convention:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040831/capt.rnc10208310442.cvn_schwarzenegger_rnc102.jpg

Thank you.

What a greeting!

This is like winning an Oscar! ...As if I would know! Speaking of acting, one of my movies was called "True Lies." It's what the Democrats should have called their convention.

My fellow Americans, this is an amazing moment for me. To think that a once scrawny boy from Austria could grow up to become Governor of California and stand in Madison Square Garden to speak on behalf of the President of the United States that is an immigrant's dream. It is the American dream.

I was born in Europe ...and I've traveled all over the world. I can tell you that there is no place, no country, more compassionate more generous more accepting and more welcoming than the United States of America.

As long as I live, I will never forget that day 21 years ago when I raised my hand and took the oath of citizenship.

Do you know how proud I was? I was so proud that I walked around with an American flag around my shoulders all day long.

Tonight, I want to talk about why I'm even more proud to be an American — why I'm proud to be a Republican and why I believe this country is in good hands.

When I was a boy, the Soviets occupied part of Austria. I saw their tanks in the streets. I saw communism with my own eyes. I remember the fear we had when we had to cross into the Soviet sector. Growing up, we were told, "Don't look the soldiers in the eye. Look straight ahead." It was a common belief that Soviet soldiers could take a man out of his own car and ship him off to the Soviet Union as slave labor.

My family didn't have a car — but one day we were in my uncle's car. It was near dark as we came to a Soviet checkpoint. I was a little boy, I wasn't an action hero back then, and I remember how scared I was that the soldiers would pull my father or my uncle out of the car and I'd never see him again. My family and so many others lived in fear of the Soviet boot. Today, the world no longer fears the Soviet Union and it is because of the United States of America!

As a kid I saw the socialist country that Austria became after the Soviets left. I love Austria and I love the Austrian people — but I always knew America was the place for me. In school, when the teacher would talk about America, I would daydream about coming here. I would sit for hours watching American movies transfixed by my heroes like John Wayne. Everything about America seemed so big to me so open, so possible.

I finally arrived here in 1968. I had empty pockets, but I was full of dreams. The presidential campaign was in full swing. I remember watching the Nixon and Humphrey presidential race on TV. A friend who spoke German and English, translated for me. I heard Humphrey saying things that sounded like socialism, which is what I had just left. But then I heard Nixon speak. He was talking about free enterprise, getting government off your back, lowering taxes and strengthening the military. Listening to Nixon speak sounded more like a breath of fresh air.

I said to my friend, "What party is he?" My friend said, "He's a Republican." I said, "Then I am a Republican!" And I've been a Republican ever since! And trust me, in my wife's family, that's no small achievement! I'm proud to belong to the party of Abraham Lincoln, the party of Teddy Roosevelt, the party of Ronald Reagan (news - web sites) and the party of George W. Bush.

To my fellow immigrants listening tonight, I want you to know how welcome you are in this party. We Republicans admire your ambition. We encourage your dreams. We believe in your future. One thing I learned about America is that if you work hard and play by the rules, this country is truly open to you. You can achieve anything.

Everything I have my career my success my family I owe to America. In this country, it doesn't make any difference where you were born. It doesn't make any difference who your parents were. It doesn't make any difference if, like me, you couldn't even speak English until you were in your twenties.

America gave me opportunities and my immigrant dreams came true. I want other people to get the same chances I did, the same opportunities. And I believe they can. That's why I believe in this country, that's why I believe in this party and that's why I believe in this President.

Now, many of you out there tonight are "Republican" like me in your hearts and in your beliefs. Maybe you're from Guatemala. Maybe you're from the Philippines. Maybe Europe or the Ivory Coast. Maybe you live in Ohio, Pennsylvania or New Mexico. And maybe just maybe you don't agree with this party on every single issue. I say to you tonight I believe that's not only okay, that's what's great about this country. Here we can respectfully disagree and still be patriotic still be American and still be good Republicans.

My fellow immigrants, my fellow Americans, how do you know if you are a Republican? I'll tell you how.

If you believe that government should be accountable to the people, not the people to the government...then you are a Republican! If you believe a person should be treated as an individual, not as a member of an interest group... then you are a Republican! If you believe your family knows how to spend your money better than the government does... then you are a Republican! If you believe our educational system should be held accountable for the progress of our children ... then you are a Republican! If you believe this country, not the United Nations (news - web sites), is the best hope of democracy in the world ... then you are a Republican! And, ladies and gentlemen ...if you believe we must be fierce and relentless and terminate terrorism ... then you are a Republican!

There is another way you can tell you're a Republican. You have faith in free enterprise, faith in the resourcefulness of the American people ... and faith in the U.S. economy. To those critics who are so pessimistic about our economy, I say: "Don't be economic girlie men!"

The U.S. economy remains the envy of the world. We have the highest economic growth of any of the world's major industrialized nations. Don't you remember the pessimism of 20 years ago when the critics said Japan and Germany were overtaking the U.S.? Ridiculous!

Now they say India and China are overtaking us. Don't you believe it! We may hit a few bumps — but America always moves ahead! That's what Americans do!

We move prosperity ahead. We move freedom ahead. We move people ahead. Under President Bush (news - web sites) and Vice President Cheney, America's economy is moving ahead in spite of a recession they inherited and in spite of the attack on our homeland.

Now, the other party says there are two Americas. Don't believe that either. I've visited our troops in Iraq (news - web sites), Kuwait, Bosnia, Germany and all over the world. I've visited our troops in California, where they train before they go overseas. And I've visited our military hospitals. And I can tell you this: Our young men and women in uniform do not believe there are two Americas!

They believe we are one America and they are fighting for it! We are one America — and President Bush is defending it with all his heart and soul!

That's what I admire most about the President. He's a man of perseverance.

He's a man of inner strength. He is a leader who doesn't flinch, doesn't waiver, does not back down. My fellow Americans, make no mistake about it terrorism is more insidious than communism, because it yearns to destroy not just the individual, but the entire international order. The President didn't go into Iraq because the polls told him it was popular. As a matter of fact, the polls said just the opposite. But leadership isn't about polls. It's about making decisions you think are right and then standing behind those decisions. That's why America is safer with George W. Bush as President.

He knows you don't reason with terrorists. You defeat them. He knows you can't reason with people blinded by hate. They hate the power of the individual. They hate the progress of women. They hate the religious freedom of others. They hate the liberating breeze of democracy. But ladies and gentlemen, their hate is no match for America's decency.

We're the America that sends out Peace Corps volunteers to teach village children. We're the America that sends out missionaries and doctors to raise up the poor and the sick. We're the America that gives more than any other country, to fight aids in Africa and the developing world. And we're the America that fights not for imperialism but for human rights and democracy.

You know, when the Germans brought down the Berlin Wall, America's determination helped wield the sledgehammers. When that lone, young Chinese man stood in front of those tanks in Tiananmen Square, America's hopes stood with him. And when Nelson Mandela smiled in election victory after all those years in prison, America celebrated, too.

We are still the lamp lighting the world especially for those who struggle. No matter in what labor camp, they slave no matter in what injustice they're trapped — they hear our call ... they see our light ... and they feel the pull of our freedom. They come here as I did because they believe. They believe in us.

They come because their hearts say to them, as mine did, "If only I can get to America." Someone once wrote — "There are those who say that freedom is nothing but a dream." They are right. It's the American dream.

No matter the nationality, no matter the religion, no matter the ethnic background, America brings out the best in people. And as Governor of the great state of California — I see the best in Americans every day ... our police, our firefighters our nurses, doctors and teachers, our parents.

And what about the extraordinary men and women who have volunteered to fight for the United States of America! I have such great respect for them and their heroic families.

Let me tell you about the sacrifice and commitment I've seen firsthand. In one of the military hospitals I visited, I met a young guy who was in bad shape. He'd lost a leg had a hole in his stomach ... his shoulder had been shot through.

I could tell there was no way he could ever return to combat. But when I asked him, "When do you think you'll get out of the hospital?" He said, "Sir, in three weeks." And do you know what he said to me then? He said he was going to get a new leg ... and get some therapy ... and then he was going back to Iraq to serve alongside his buddies! He grinned at me and said, "Arnold ... I'll be back!"

Ladies and gentlemen, America is back! Back from the attack on our homeland — back from the attack on our economy, back from the attack on our way of life. We're back because of the perseverance, character and leadership of the 43rd President of the United States, George W. Bush.

My fellow Americans ...I want you to know that I believe with all my heart that America remains "the great idea" that inspires the world. It's a privilege to be born here. It's an honor to become a citizen here. It's a gift to raise your family here to vote here and to live here.

Our president, George W. Bush, has worked hard to protect and preserve the American dream for all of us. That's why I say ... send him back to Washington for four more years!

Thank you, America — and God bless you all!

Sparrowhawk
08-31-04, 11:34 PM
August 29, 2004
Kerry Sisters at the VMAs

For those that saw the Kerry sisters on the MTV Video Music Awards just now... how awkward was that moment?

http://www.decloah.com/weblog/images/entrypics/kerrysisters.jpg

Those two girls (Vanessa and Alexandria Kerry) have horrible stage presence. They were terribly stiff and if I'm not mistaken, the crowd was booing them pretty heavily which they handled with the grace of a crippled elephant (no pun intended).

The Bush girls, Barbara and Jenna, really got the better end of the deal being taped/via satellite from the RNC in New York.

I couldn't really tell if they got any boos but it didn't seem like it. I guess Miami's clubber demographic are mostly pro-Republican.

<hr>

Alexandria Kerry, is much like her father; She is also very consistent with her ideologies. She talks about how its lucky to be alive and then the next point is about being pro-choice.

Sparrowhawk
09-01-04, 12:03 AM
http://www.thevillager.com/villager_42/peggy1.jpg She’d love to be First Sister

A hippie that has lived in the Village since 1967, She has worked for the American Civil Liberties Union and New York Civil Liberties Union, has lobbied for the Community Service Society and served as consultant for Planned Parenthood. Kerry was a Clinton political appointee whose "job was made permanent in the early days of the Bush administration."

A Catholic antiabortion group sharply questioned the propriety of John F. Kerry's sister, Peggy Kerry, giving a speech to "a campaign crowd of feminists" in Boston and telling them that, if elected, her brother would overturn various Bush policies -- such as barring funds for U.N. population control efforts.

Peggy Kerry (http://www.thevillager.com/villager_42/kerrysbigsister.html)

al20852
09-01-04, 09:43 AM
radio relay
Those countries you mentioned are threats in one way or another, but they don't have a powerful lobby that has sway in DC. They have no influence in DC whatsoever. Do you understand? As for your ignorant allegations of anti-semetism, that's just what it is- sheer ignorance (or stupidity?) on your part. I also know plenty about the Shah of Iran. The brutality of his secrety police was well documented. The Iranians eventually traded in a secular dictatorship for a theocratic one. And when did I say Jimmy Carter was an idol of mine? Don't ASSume things about me. I thought he was a complete failure as a president. The only thing that I do give him credit for is the peace deal between Israel and Egypt. When did I say I supported Islamic dictators? I believed Saddam was contained by the no fly zones and the fear of his own army trying to pull a coup on him. Many respected military men held this view. Does that mean they love Saddam? As for you saying I admire France and Russia, that couldn't be further from the truth. I despise that murderous KGB chump Putin clamping down on freedom of the press in Russia, and I despise jackass Chirac giving intelligence to Saddam and putting our troops in danger. I'm just a loyal (to America without a k) dissenter who you happen to disagree with- no more no less. Thanks for your insulting posts. They were highly entertaining to me and completely laughable. Later dude. Don't hate the playa. Hate the game.

Eddie -

I don't think your views make you anti semitic. They are just naive. You cannot reason with the Islamic terrorists. To try to reason with them will lead to them stabbing us in the back. You cannot replay events from 20 years ago and act accordingly. The only thing that matters is what is happening today and is likely to happen in the future. And that clearly is that there is a group of extremists that will destroy us if given a chance. The only thing that will stop them is to hit them and destroy them or weaken then to the point where they can't act.

Is it a coincidence that there has been no Islamic extremuist attack on us since 9/11? I think not.

Yesterday 12 Nepalese were executed by Islamic fundamentalists in Iraq only becusse they dared to take non-military jobs in Iraq to support their families. One was beheaded and the others shot in the back of the head as they lay on the ground. How do you reasosn with such people? You don't. You kill them, because if you don't they will find a way to kill you. I wish that weren't so, but there is nothing in recent history that would suggest that this isn't a fight to the death.

radio relay
09-01-04, 11:25 AM
The brutality of the Shah's secret police is "well documented" by the thugs of the current islamofascist mullahs, and their sympathisers, whom you admire. Not real credible sources, but then again, who needs the truth when you have leftwing idealology, sweetness and light, fairy tales, and lies....

Too bad the Shah listened to Jimmy Peanut, and didn't allow SAVAK to deal with Komeini, the way he should have been dealt with. Might be a different world today.

Yeah right. Dissent, my a$$! You didn't say this, and you love something else. Bla, bla, bla... Then, you follow up by spewing more of your anti-American venomous lies. People who actually love this country don't spout the crap that flows from you. Get a clue, fool.

yellowwing
09-01-04, 12:01 PM
Calling each other anti-American is over the line. We are Marines. No one can deny what we all have done for this country.

Heck, some of us travelled a thousand miles to be part of the Few, the Proud. :marine:

eddief
09-01-04, 01:18 PM
radio relay <br />
So what you're saying is that the Shah of Iran was a good and benevolent dictator. I guess that's why you have such a hard on for Bush. Bush wishes that he could be a good and...

radio relay
09-01-04, 01:20 PM
Has nothing to do with "being Marines"! Also, has nothing to do with how far you traveled!

Marines, support their country. Marines, do not come to a Marine Corps website, and parrot the words of those who admit they do indeed hate this country, then expect it to go unchallenged.

What eddief is posting is not dissent. It's anti-American, at best. It flirts with racism, and sedition at times!!! If he and others can't see it, then I'm more than happy to point it out.

Semper Fidelis, means "Always Faithfull"... not "Dissent and Protest".

"God, Country, and Corps"... not "God, Country maybe, and Corps"

eddief
09-01-04, 01:20 PM
yellowing
Don't worry, I've handled much worse on a forum. I used to post on the Hannity Forum. It would get to be like a feeding frenzy with the Hannitized masses there. Besides, I like how ornery radio relay is.

radio relay
09-01-04, 01:28 PM
Ah yes, eddief comes back with the disrespect for our country and our President. Backed up by yet more unsubstatiated, leftwing, socialistic, communist drivel.

Poor dear. A misguided babe in the woods... hmmm hmmm.

Nothing you say eddie makes sense or has any basis in fact. Just spitting in the wind...

Glad you're having fun. Simple minds have simple pleasures.

eddief
09-01-04, 01:30 PM
LMAO at radio relay! You're killing me (with laughter) dude with your personal attacks (the sign of a weak debater).

radio relay
09-01-04, 01:33 PM
eddief the martyr. Crucified for the left...

Bless his pink little heart. He's deluded himslef into thinking he actually is making sense.

"used to post on hannity's site". Whatsa matter? Too much for ya, or did your leftwing handlers come up with another assignment? Come over here to a Marine site, and post your left lunacy!

radio relay
09-01-04, 01:35 PM
Good. glad to help you out buddy.

Slink into phoney glee when you're getting your lunch handed to you.

Nice tactic. Old and worn out... but nice

eddief
09-01-04, 01:47 PM
The president is not an emperor. He works for us and I don't approve of his job performance. Some of you have a love of this man that borders on idolatry. As for the country, I don't think I show her any disrespect by my dissent. The reason I dissent is because of my love for the republic. I believe she is on the wrong road when it comes to Iraq. I don't blame the troops for this. I blame the people who sent them there which includes democrats as well as republicans.

yellowwing
09-01-04, 01:48 PM
Now you guys are making no sense at all! Ya' got me laughin'!

And thanks to the Internet, and Al Gore, I found out I travelled 1135 miles to be called a maggot for three months!

eddief
09-01-04, 01:53 PM
radio relay
You didn't hand anything to me except some name calling and false accusations of lying. Oh yeah, you also showed your love for a dictator (the Shah). LMAO So who is the next dictator that you'll give props to? Will it be Pinochet of Chile?

thedrifter
09-01-04, 02:28 PM
Play Nice Boys.....;)

Ellie

cknow
09-01-04, 02:36 PM
I'm sure that "loyal" and "Patriotic" americans thought the same thing about President Lincoln

yellowwing
09-01-04, 02:57 PM
Lincoln! Aw-geez, now they are going to accuse Kerry of being a carpet-bagger! Complete with eyewitnesses that weren't actually there.

hrscowboy
09-01-04, 03:03 PM
get there arses ellie hahahahahah

Sparrowhawk
09-03-04, 12:22 AM
President George W. Bush

Mr. Chairman, delegates, fellow citizens: I am honored by your support, and I accept your nomination for President of the United States.

When I said those words four years ago, none of us could have envisioned what these years would bring. In the heart of this great city, we saw tragedy arrive on a quiet morning. We saw the bravery of rescuers grow with danger. We learned of passengers on a doomed plane who died with a courage that frightened their killers. We have seen a shaken economy rise to its feet. And we have seen Americans in uniform storming mountain strongholds, and charging through sandstorms, and liberating millions, with acts of valor that would make the men of Normandy proud.

Since 2001, Americans have been given hills to climb, and found the strength to climb them. Now, because we have made the hard journey, we can see the valley below. Now, because we have faced challenges with resolve, we have historic goals within our reach, and greatness in our future. We will build a safer world and a more hopeful America and nothing will hold us back.

In the work we have done, and the work we will do, I am fortunate to have a superb Vice President. I have counted on Dick Cheney's calm and steady judgment in difficult days, and I am honored to have him at my side.

I am grateful to share my walk in life with Laura Bush. Americans have come to see the goodness and kindness and strength I first saw 26 years ago, and we love our First Lady.

I am a fortunate father of two spirited, intelligent, and lovely young women. I am blessed with a sister and brothers who are also my closest friends. And I will always be the proud and grateful son of George and Barbara Bush.

My father served eight years at the side of another great American Ronald Reagan. His spirit of optimism and goodwill and decency are in this hall, and in our hearts, and will always define our party.

Two months from today, voters will make a choice based on the records we have built, the convictions we hold, and the vision that guides us forward. A presidential election is a contest for the future. Tonight I will tell you where I stand, what I believe, and where I will lead this country in the next four years.

I believe every child can learn, and every school must teach so we passed the most important federal education reform in history. Because we acted, children are making sustained progress in reading and math, America's schools are getting better, and nothing will hold us back.

I believe we have a moral responsibility to honor America's seniors so I brought Republicans and Democrats together to strengthen Medicare. Now seniors are getting immediate help buying medicine. Soon every senior will be able to get prescription drug coverage, and nothing will hold us back.

I believe in the energy and innovative spirit of America's workers, entrepreneurs, farmers, and ranchers so we unleashed that energy with the largest tax relief in a generation. Because we acted, our economy is growing again, and creating jobs, and nothing will hold us back.

I believe the most solemn duty of the American president is to protect the American people. If America shows uncertainty and weakness in this decade, the world will drift toward tragedy. This will not happen on my watch.

I am running for President with a clear and positive plan to build a safer world, and a more hopeful America. I am running with a compassionate conservative philosophy: that government should help people improve their lives, not try to run their lives. I believe this Nation wants steady, consistent, principled leadership and that is why, with your help, we will win this election.

The story of America is the story of expanding liberty: an ever-widening circle, constantly growing to reach further and include more. Our Nation's founding commitment is still our deepest commitment: In our world, and here at home, we will extend the frontiers of freedom.

The times in which we live and work are changing dramatically. The workers of our parents' generation typically had one job, one skill, one career often with one company that provided health care and a pension. And most of those workers were men. Today, workers change jobs, even careers, many times during their lives, and in one of the most dramatic shifts our society has seen, two-thirds of all Moms also work outside the home.

This changed world can be a time of great opportunity for all Americans to earn a better living, support your family, and have a rewarding career. And government must take your side. Many of our most fundamental systems the tax code, health coverage, pension plans, worker training were created for the world of yesterday, not tomorrow. We will transform these systems so that all citizens are equipped, prepared and thus truly free to make your own choices and pursue your own dreams.

My plan begins with providing the security and opportunity of a growing economy. We now compete in a global market that provides new buyers for our goods, but new competition for our workers. To create more jobs in America, America must be the best place in the world to do business. To create jobs, my plan will encourage investment and expansion by restraining federal spending, reducing regulation, and making tax relief permanent. To create jobs, we will make our country less dependent on foreign sources of energy. To create jobs, we will expand trade and level the playing field to sell American goods and services across the globe. And we must protect small business owners and workers from the explosion of frivolous lawsuits that threaten jobs across America.

Another drag on our economy is the current tax code, which is a complicated mess filled with special interest loopholes, saddling our people with more than six billion hours of paperwork and headache every year. The American people deserve and our economic future demands a simpler, fairer, pro-growth system. In a new term, I will lead a bipartisan effort to reform and simplify the federal tax code.

Sparrowhawk
09-03-04, 12:24 AM
Another priority in a new term will be to help workers take advantage of the expanding economy to find better, higher-paying jobs. In this time of change, many workers want to go back to school to...

Sparrowhawk
09-03-04, 12:25 AM
My opponent recently announced that he is the candidate of "conservative values," which must have come as a surprise to a lot of his supporters. Now, there are some problems with this claim. If you say the heart and soul of America is found in Hollywood, I'm afraid you are not the candidate of conservative values. If you voted against the bipartisan Defense of Marriage Act, which President Clinton signed, you are not the candidate of conservative values. If you gave a speech, as my opponent did, calling the Reagan presidency eight years of "moral darkness," then you may be a lot of things, but the candidate of conservative values is not one of them.

This election will also determine how America responds to the continuing danger of terrorism and you know where I stand. Three days after September 11th, I stood where Americans died, in the ruins of the Twin Towers. Workers in hard hats were shouting to me, "Whatever it takes." A fellow grabbed me by the arm and he said, "Do not let me down." Since that day, I wake up every morning thinking about how to better protect our country. I will never relent in defending America whatever it takes.

So we have fought the terrorists across the earth not for pride, not for power, but because the lives of our citizens are at stake. Our strategy is clear. We have tripled funding for homeland security and trained half a million first responders, because we are determined to protect our homeland. We are transforming our military and reforming and strengthening our intelligence services. We are staying on the offensive striking terrorists abroad so we do not have to face them here at home. And we are working to advance liberty in the broader Middle East, because freedom will bring a future of hope, and the peace we all want. And we will prevail.

Our strategy is succeeding. Four years ago, Afghanistan was the home base of al-Qaida, Pakistan was a transit point for terrorist groups, Saudi Arabia was fertile ground for terrorist fundraising, Libya was secretly pursuing nuclear weapons, Iraq was a gathering threat, and al-Qaida was largely unchallenged as it planned attacks. Today, the government of a free Afghanistan is fighting terror, Pakistan is capturing terrorist leaders, Saudi Arabia is making raids and arrests, Libya is dismantling its weapons programs, the army of a free Iraq is fighting for freedom, and more than three-quarters of al-Qaida's key members and associates have been detained or killed. We have led, many have joined, and America and the world are safer.

This progress involved careful diplomacy, clear moral purpose, and some tough decisions. And the toughest came on Iraq. We knew Saddam Hussein's record of aggression and support for terror. We knew his long history of pursuing, even using, weapons of mass destruction. And we know that September 11th requires our country to think differently: We must, and we will, confront threats to America before it is too late.

In Saddam Hussein, we saw a threat. Members of both political parties, including my opponent and his running mate, saw the threat, and voted to authorize the use of force. We went to the United Nations Security Council, which passed a unanimous resolution demanding the dictator disarm, or face serious consequences. Leaders in the Middle East urged him to comply. After more than a decade of diplomacy, we gave Saddam Hussein another chance, a final chance, to meet his responsibilities to the civilized world. He again refused, and I faced the kind of decision that comes only to the Oval Office a decision no president would ask for, but must be prepared to make. Do I forget the lessons of September 11th and take the word of a madman, or do I take action to defend our country? Faced with that choice, I will defend America every time.

Because we acted to defend our country, the murderous regimes of Saddam Hussein and the Taliban are history, more than 50 million people have been liberated, and democracy is coming to the broader Middle East. In Afghanistan, terrorists have done everything they can to intimidate people yet more than 10 million citizens have registered to vote in the October presidential election a resounding endorsement of democracy. Despite ongoing acts of violence, Iraq now has a strong Prime Minister, a national council, and national elections are scheduled for January. Our Nation is standing with the people of Afghanistan and Iraq, because when America gives its word, America must keep its word. As importantly, we are serving a vital and historic cause that will make our country safer. Free societies in the Middle East will be hopeful societies, which no longer feed resentments and breed violence for export. Free governments in the Middle East will fight terrorists instead of harboring them, and that helps us keep the peace. So our mission in Afghanistan and Iraq is clear: We will help new leaders to train their armies, and move toward elections, and get on the path of stability and democracy as quickly as possible. And then our troops will return home with the honor they have earned.

Our troops know the historic importance of our work. One Army Specialist wrote home: "We are transforming a once sick society into a hopeful place The various terrorist enemies we are facing in Iraq," he continued, "are really aiming at you back in the United States. This is a test of will for our country. We soldiers of yours are doing great and scoring victories in confronting the evil terrorists."

That young man is right our men and women in uniform are doing a superb job for America. Tonight I want to speak to all of them and to their families: You are involved in a struggle of historic proportion. Because of your service and sacrifice, we are defeating the terrorists where they live and plan, and making America safer. Because of you, women in Afghanistan are no longer shot in a sports stadium. Because of you, the people of Iraq no longer fear being executed and left in mass graves. Because of you, the world is more just and will be more peaceful. We owe you our thanks, and we owe you something more. We will give you all the resources, all the tools, and all the support you need for victory.

Again, my opponent and I have different approaches. I proposed, and the Congress overwhelmingly passed, 87 billion dollars in funding needed by our troops doing battle in Afghanistan and Iraq. My opponent and his running mate voted against this money for bullets, and fuel, and vehicles, and body armor. When asked to explain his vote, the Senator said, "I actually did vote for the 87 billion dollars before I voted against it." Then he said he was "proud" of that vote. Then, when pressed, he said it was a "complicated" matter. There is nothing complicated about supporting our troops in combat.

Our allies also know the historic importance of our work. About 40 nations stand beside us in Afghanistan, and some 30 in Iraq. And I deeply appreciate the courage and wise counsel of leaders like Prime Minister Howard, and President Kwasniewski, and Prime Minister Berlusconi and, of course, Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Again, my opponent takes a different approach. In the midst of war, he has called America's allies, quote, a "coalition of the coerced and the bribed." That would be nations like Great Britain, Poland, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Denmark, El Salvador, Australia, and others allies that deserve the respect of all Americans, not the scorn of a politician. I respect every soldier, from every country, who serves beside us in the hard work of history. America is grateful, and America will not forget.

The people we have freed won't forget either. Not long ago, seven Iraqi men came to see me in the Oval Office. They had "X"s branded into their foreheads, and their right hands had been cut off, by Saddam Hussein's secret police, the sadistic punishment for imaginary crimes. During our emotional visit one of the Iraqi men used his new prosthetic hand to slowly write out, in Arabic, a prayer for God to bless America. I am proud that our country remains the hope of the oppressed, and the greatest force for good on this earth.

Sparrowhawk
09-03-04, 12:25 AM
Others understand the historic importance of our work. The terrorists know. They know that a vibrant, successful democracy at the heart of the Middle East will discredit their radical ideology of hate. They know that men and women with hope, and purpose, and dignity do not strap bombs on their bodies and kill the innocent. The terrorists are fighting freedom with all their cunning and cruelty because freedom is their greatest fear and they should be afraid, because freedom is on the march.

I believe in the transformational power of liberty: The wisest use of American strength is to advance freedom. As the citizens of Afghanistan and Iraq seize the moment, their example will send a message of hope throughout a vital region. Palestinians will hear the message that democracy and reform are within their reach, and so is peace with our good friend Israel. Young women across the Middle East will hear the message that their day of equality and justice is coming. Young men will hear the message that national progress and dignity are found in liberty, not tyranny and terror. Reformers, and political prisoners, and exiles will hear the message that their dream of freedom cannot be denied forever. And as freedom advances heart by heart, and nation by nation America will be more secure and the world more peaceful.

America has done this kind of work before and there have always been doubters. In 1946, 18 months after the fall of Berlin to allied forces, a journalist wrote in the New York Times, "Germany is a land in an acute stage of economic, political and moral crisis. [European] capitals are frightened. In every [military] headquarters, one meets alarmed officials doing their utmost to deal with the consequences of the occupation policy that they admit has failed." End quote. Maybe that same person's still around, writing editorials. Fortunately, we had a resolute president named Truman, who with the American people persevered, knowing that a new democracy at the center of Europe would lead to stability and peace. And because that generation of Americans held firm in the cause of liberty, we live in a better and safer world today.

The progress we and our friends and allies seek in the broader Middle East will not come easily, or all at once. Yet Americans, of all people, should never be surprised by the power of liberty to transform lives and nations. That power brought settlers on perilous journeys, inspired colonies to rebellion, ended the sin of slavery, and set our Nation against the tyrannies of the 20th century. We were honored to aid the rise of democracy in Germany and Japan and Nicaragua and Central Europe and the Baltics and that noble story goes on. I believe that America is called to lead the cause of freedom in a new century. I believe that millions in the Middle East plead in silence for their liberty. I believe that given the chance, they will embrace the most honorable form of government ever devised by man. I believe all these things because freedom is not America's gift to the world, it is the Almighty God's gift to every man and woman in this world.

This moment in the life of our country will be remembered. Generations will know if we kept our faith and kept our word. Generations will know if we seized this moment, and used it to build a future of safety and peace. The freedom of many, and the future security of our Nation, now depend on us. And tonight, my fellow Americans, I ask you to stand with me.

In the last four years, you and I have come to know each other. Even when we don't agree, at least you know what I believe and where I stand. You may have noticed I have a few flaws, too. People sometimes have to correct my English I knew I had a problem when Arnold Schwarzenegger started doing it. Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas is called "walking." Now and then I come across as a little too blunt and for that we can all thank the white-haired lady sitting right up there.

One thing I have learned about the presidency is that whatever shortcomings you have, people are going to notice them and whatever strengths you have, you're going to need them. These four years have brought moments I could not foresee and will not forget. I have tried to comfort Americans who lost the most on September 11th people who showed me a picture or told me a story, so I would know how much was taken from them. I have learned first-hand that ordering Americans into battle is the hardest decision, even when it is right. I have returned the salute of wounded soldiers, some with a very tough road ahead, who say they were just doing their job. I've held the children of the fallen, who are told their dad or mom is a hero, but would rather just have their dad or mom.

And I have met with parents and wives and husbands who have received a folded flag, and said a final goodbye to a soldier they loved. I am awed that so many have used those meetings to say that I am in their prayers to offer encouragement to me. Where does strength like that come from? How can people so burdened with sorrow also feel such pride? It is because they know their loved one was last seen doing good. Because they know that liberty was precious to the one they lost. And in those military families, I have seen the character of a great nation: decent, and idealistic, and strong.

The world saw that spirit three miles from here, when the people of this city faced peril together, and lifted a flag over the ruins, and defied the enemy with their courage. My fellow Americans, for as long as our country stands, people will look to the resurrection of New York City and they will say: Here buildings fell, and here a nation rose.

We see America's character in our military, which finds a way or makes one. We see it in our veterans, who are supporting military families in their days of worry. We see it in our young people, who have found heroes once again. We see that character in workers and entrepreneurs, who are renewing our economy with their effort and optimism. And all of this has confirmed one belief beyond doubt: Having come this far, our tested and confident Nation can achieve anything.

To everything we know there is a season a time for sadness, a time for struggle, a time for rebuilding. And now we have reached a time for hope. This young century will be liberty's century. By promoting liberty abroad, we will build a safer world. By encouraging liberty at home, we will build a more hopeful America. Like generations before us, we have a calling from beyond the stars to stand for freedom. This is the everlasting dream of America and tonight, in this place, that dream is renewed. Now we go forward grateful for our freedom, faithful to our cause, and confident in the future of the greatest nation on earth.

God bless you, and may God continue to bless America.

radio relay
09-03-04, 07:42 AM
The President did a great job.

In my case, he was preaching to the choir, but I think it was a much better speech than the candidate of the democrats made. It had a lot more substance, and I think it gave the "undecideds" something to think about.

hrscowboy
09-03-04, 03:05 PM
well it dang sure gave me something to think about thats for sure...