PDA

View Full Version : Since becoming a Marine, one series gunnery sergeant has been on a goal-hopping campa

thedrifter
08-28-04, 06:34 AM
Since becoming a Marine, one series gunnery sergeant has been on a goal-hopping campaign
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 200482711121
Story by Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (August 27, 2004) -- "She told me I had to graduate as honor man so when we got married, I would be in my blues," said Staff Sgt. M. Dallas Miller, series gunnery sergeant, Company C.

Miller has set goals his entire Marine Corps career, all for one main goal: to become the Marine Corps' top enlisted man. He feels the best way to attain this goal is to make and meet smaller goals along the way.

He graduated as platoon honor man, received his first promotion and was married the next day. From this achievement sprouted his ultimate Marine Corps career goal.

"Although I had the challenge from my wife," he said. "I did it to the best of my ability anyway because that is what I strive for in everything I do."

"I plan on staying in for at least 20 years," said Miller. "In the end, I want to become the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps."

After recruit training, he went to Marine combat training where he was again selected as the top Marine in his training company. They awarded him a meritorious mast.

He went to military police school for training in his job skill. They meritoriously promoted him.

Miller maintained his roll of success at his first duty station where he was promoted meritoriously for a third time - this time to corporal.

"I have big goals," Miller said. "But I plan and live each day by setting short term goals."

He asks himself daily how he can be a better Marine or improve himself as a drill instructor.

"I love every day being a Marine, and I love every day being a drill instructor," Miller said. "I can't believe we get paid to do this job. I love the title, traveling the world and the fact that I get paid to do it. I bought into the whole Marine Corps mentality and Semper Fi, 100 percent." Semper Fidelis is the Marine Corps motto, which translates to "always faithful."

He was always faithful to the Corps and what it stood for. He wanted to train and instill those same values into new Marines. Miller decided to trade in his military police badge for a campaign cover.

"When I decided to come here, it wasn't just to have another billet for promotion," said Miller. "I've always been the type of Marine to volunteer for anything. Drill instructor duty was one of the most challenging things to do at the time. I knew I would regret it if I didn't do it.

"I looked at drill instructors as the top 10 percent of the Marine Corps. That's what I wanted to be."

Not only did he earn his drill instructor title, he was good at being one.

"He has won just about every award that a drill instructor can achieve: honor platoons, 'Band of Brothers,' 'Dan Daly,' hardest-working green belt Drill Instructor," said Gunnery Sgt. B. E. Kern, lead series gunnery sergeant. Kern said Miller has been nominated for several drill instructor and senior drill instructor of the quarter boards.

Miller is the follow series gunnery sergeant, and he finishes his ninth training cycle as a drill instructor today and his second as a series gunnery sergeant.

Miller's next step is to go to the Career Course for staff noncommissioned officers and then join the Military Police Company at 1st Force Service Support Group, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

With his path going in the right direction for his ultimate goals, Miller says he owes a lot to his wife.

"I consider her a Marine, just like me," said Miller. "She's been with me every step of the way ... she has taken the reigns by taking the kids to school and football practice. I do not have to worry about anything, but doing my job."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004827111318/$file/08DI_miller01_lr.jpg

Staff Sgt. M. Dallas Miller, series gunnery sergeant, Company C, supervises at the rappel tower as his recruits rope down. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/31B63F1CE662C27A85256EFD005285B9?opendocument

Ellie

Geagle05
10-27-09, 02:25 AM
Sorry to bring up an ancient post. I searched this name and this story is what came up. The now GySgt. Miller was one of my Sgt. Inst's at OCS this past summer (perhaps equivalent to a J Hat). He is one amazing Marine. It is amazing that five years from when this story was written, he is still making Marines (this time the officer side!) and doing great things. S/F

Lisa 23
10-27-09, 09:32 AM
Geagle05 - you should PM thedrifter, and have her change your profile status from Marine Friend to Marine if you've been commissioned already.