PDA

View Full Version : Camp Lejeune Marine remembered by friends

thedrifter
08-28-04, 06:18 AM
Camp Lejeune Marine rembered by friends
Submitted by: 1st Marine Division
Story Identification #: 20048282456
Story by Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes

MAHMUDIYAH, Iraq (Aug. 25, 2004) -- Patrols and watches ceased for a brief time here Wednesday so Camp Lejeune Marines from Company E, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, cold honor one of their fallen warriors.

Corporal Christopher W. Belchik was a squad leader with the company when shrapnel from a roadside bomb ended his life Aug. 22. He was 30 years old.

"There were three things Chris loved: his wife, Mary; his cat, Aggie; and his Playstation," said Cpl. Travis S. Kreil, a squad leader with the company. "Everyone here remembers his stories and his jokes. He was a good friend."

Belchik's teammates and friends spoke during the memorial ceremony about what they remembered most about their friend from Jersey, Ill.

"I knew no matter how miserable things got, it would always be alright with Belchik around," said Cpl. Anthony Capuccio, a 30 year-old rifleman from Atlanta, Ga. "He had a way of being goofy and making you laugh. He set the example by doing what he had to do."

Belchik was on patrol with his squad when a roadside bomb exploded near their vehicle, killing him instantly. The death came as a hard blow to his platoon and friends. They think of Belchik as a 'Marine's Marine,' the one who kept them all going.

"When the humor started to come back to the platoon after he died, it was Belchik's humor that we saw," said Cpl. Johan E. Bayer, a 23 year-old from Chicago. "Long after all of us have moved on from 2nd platoon, Belchik will be remembered. His spirit will still be here."

Stories of Belchik's humor and life were plentiful at the ceremony. The Marines that knew him best all had stories to share of their friend.

"I used to take him down to Wilmington with me where he would watch me get tattoos. When he got his first one, his wife was (very upset)," said Kreil, 22, of Jamestown, N.D. "His wife picked out his third tattoo for him."

Belchik's relationship with his wife was a strong one, platoon comrades said. This was reflected in his kindness toward his friends in their times of need.

"When I didn't have enough money to go home he would take me home with him," Kreil said. "His family took me in like I was one of their own."

Lieutenant Col. Giles Kyser, the commanding officer of the battalion, also spoke during the ceremony.

"Last night I was trying to think of what to say today. I was going over birth orders ... for a little girl," said Kyser, of Dumfries, Va. "I felt sadness at the loss of a Marine and happiness at the thought of that little girl growing up in a safer world because of what Belchik gave to us."

Belchik is survived by his wife, Mary.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200482821017/$file/BELCHIK3lr.jpg

Marines from 2nd Platoon, Company E, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, stand around the ceremonial rifle, helmet, boots, and dog tags. The items represent one of their own lost in battle: Cpl. Christopher W. Belchik, a squad leader with the company. He died Aug. 22 from shrapnel wounds.
(USMC Photo by Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes) Photo by: Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004828287/$file/BELCHIK1lr.jpg

A Marine with Company E, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, prepares to set a rifle into sandbags during a memorial ceremony Aug. 25. The ceremony was for Cpl. Christopher W. Belchik, a squad leader with the company. He died Aug. 22 from shrapnel wounds.
(USMC Photo by Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes) Photo by: Cpl. Shawn C. Rhodes

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/44719E591EF213EE85256EFE00216920?opendocument

thedrifter
08-28-04, 06:19 AM
War-Weary Iraqis Begin Inspecting Damage <br />
<br />
By ABDUL HUSSEIN AL-OBEIDI <br />
<br />
NAJAF, Iraq - War-weary Iraqis returned to devastated offices and shops in the holy city of Najaf on Saturday, inspecting...

thedrifter
08-28-04, 06:19 AM
Guards: prisoner looked sick, moaning before death <br />
<br />
By: DARRIN MORTENSON - Staff Writer <br />
<br />
CAMP PENDLETON ----- Nine Marine reservists who guarded an Iraqi prisoner who died in U.S. custody last...

thedrifter
08-28-04, 06:21 AM
Third Time's A Charm: New York Marines, aircraft deploy in support of OIF
Submitted by: New York City Public Affairs
Story Identification #: 2004825115744
Story by Cpl. Beth Zimmerman

NEW YORK (August 25, 2004) -- Sergeant John Fergerson and his wife Rachel celebrated their first wedding anniversary two months ago. Now, like many other Marine Corps families, they will spend half of their second year of marriage away from each other.

"This is the first time he's leaving since we've been married," said 20-year-old Rachel. "But I'm proud of him," she said with quiet intensity as she held her husband's hand. "These guys are who America stands for."

Sergeant Fergerson seemed much more nonchalant than his wife. "This is my third time deploying in two years," said the 22-year-old. "But I don't mind going. This is our job."

Marines from Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452 (VMGR-452) deployed from Newburgh, N.Y. in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom yesterday.

Fergerson isn't the only one with a sense of déjà vu.

"This is this squadron's third deployment," said Chief Warrant Officer Tim Noble, Administration Officer for Marine Aircraft Group 49, Detachment Bravo, at Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh.

Reserve Marines from VMGR-452 were activated for Operation Enduring Freedom in January 2002, and they deployed to Bahrain last year. The unit maintains and flies KC-130T Hercules aircraft, which makes them an important resource for the Marine Corps.

"We're extremely excited to do our part," said Maj. Andrew Barr, Executive Officer for MAG 49, Det B. "The Marine Corps' KC-130s play a vital mission in the Middle East." The Corps uses the KC-130s for aerial refueling and transportation.

"Since the beginning of Operation Enduring Freedom, we've had planes supporting Marines from all over," said Sgt. Maj. Jeffrey Dixon, MAG 49, Det B Sergeant Major. Since then, the squadron has transported more than 3 million pounds of cargo, distributed more than 3.5 million pounds of fuel in aerial refueling, and transported over 3,000 passengers in the Middle East. VMGR-452 has also transported rescued prisoners of war from Iraq.

As part of a reserve unit that has taken such an active role in overseas operations, the squadron's Marines have spent more than their share of time away from home.

"They're sacrificing time with their families and their (civilian) jobs," said Noble. "But they are doing it for the Corps," said the Lake George, N.Y., native. "And they're doing it because they want to."

Lance Cpl. Joel Pasqualino, a reservist from Johnstown, N.Y., left for his second deployment with the squadron. "I enjoy deploying," said the 23-year-old student. "I get to work with ordnance over there," he said. "I can't do that in New York."

Sergeant Jason Jones also left for the second time. "It's round two," the 27-year-old native of West Kingston, R.I., said calmly. "We all train for this, so the next thing to do is just go out and get it done."

The Marines have plenty of support from their families. Jones' family traveled from Rhode Island to send him off. "I'm nervous and excited for him," said Debbie Murphy, who is Jones' mother. His sister, Keri Jones, finished her thought. "He's doing what he went into the Marines to do."

This group of VMGR-452 Marines have the next six months to do their part in the war on terror.

"We're doing the right thing there," said Cpl. Jason Christofferson, as he hugged his wife Erin goodbye. "I'm looking forward to doing my part and serving this country."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004825122828/$file/back.lcp%20e%20and%20dan_low.jpg

Lance Cpl. Chirstopher Edwards and his wife Danielle share their last moments together before Edwards deploys to the Middle East. Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 452 (VMGR-452) deployed Tuesday from Stewart Air National Guard Base in Newburgh, N.Y., in support of OIF. Photo by: Cpl. Beth Zimmerman

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/059264A96A918ADE85256EFB0057AF02?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
08-28-04, 06:23 AM
Night Owls return home
Submitted by: MCAS Cherry Point
Story Identification #: 200482610416
Story by Lance Cpl. Cullen J. Tiernan

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. (Aug. 28, 2004) -- Marine Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Squadron 2 arrived stateside Sunday after serving more than six months in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom II.

The Night Owls returned from their second tour of duty in Iraq in two years. The birds of prey flew home after months of constant combat at Iraq's Al Taqaddum Airbase in Al Anbar Province. An area strategically located between the infamous city of Fallujah and the provincial capital, Ramadi.

"We deployed to Kuwait in January. By the end of February, we had assembled all of our equipment, including eight planes, and set up base March 11," said Lt. Col. Doug Hardison, the commanding officer of VMU-2. "From March 11, until the day we flew back, we were out every day flying combat missions - giving active intelligence to the Marines on the deck."

VMU-2 played a vital role in OIF II. Their unique ability to see behind enemy lines has made them an asset in Iraq. Their great commitment has brought them attention from all over the Marine Corps, including a promise from Lt. Gen. James F. Amos, commanding general of the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Force, to be there Sunday for their return.

"While we were in Iraq (then) Maj. Gen. Amos told the troops what a great a job they were doing," said Hardison. "His confidence had a significant, positive impact on the morale of VMU-2. His presence at our return symbolized what an important role we played in their deployment."

The valuable intelligence came from the use of unmanned aerial vehicles. VMU-2's Pioneer aircraft soared over Iraq 24 hours a day. Airborne over the most dangerous cities in Iraq, these remotecontrolled eyes gave the commanders on the ground a more complete picture of the fields of fire.

"Flying over Iraq, we were able to give live chat - describing positions and the strength of insurgents," said Hardison. "We supported sniper teams in Fallujah during Operation Vigilant Resolve in April. With the continuous help of our intelligence, Marines were able to make artillery adjustments, coordinate air strikes and keep the Marines a step ahead of the insurgents."

The Marines of VMU-2 worked relentlessly to track insurgents. In contrast to Operation Iraqi Freedom I, when they were constantly on the move, hunting down retreating elements of the Iraqi army, VMU-2 dwelt at Al Taqaddum throughout the deployment.

Sgt. Jarrad Demster, a Pioneer pilot at VMU-2, noted, "The whole squadron was able to focus on our job- administrating destruction to the enemy. We located the enemy and helped drive them out of defensive positions in the cities."

"I have never seen a finer group of enlisted Marines," said Hardison of his Marines. "Their actions speak to the high level of commitment experienced throughout the squadron. It feels great to be back home now, but we are already preparing for the next deployment on the horizon."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004826101620/$file/32917711LR.JPG

Lance Cpl. Nicole M. Henderson, VMU-2 S-1, greets her son, Jonathan, after spending six months in Iraq. Photo by: Tom Bone

Ellie

thedrifter
08-28-04, 06:26 AM
Echo Company

By Thaai Walker
San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News

LANCASTER, Calif. - One June Monday in the Mojave desert, before the day got too hot, Nancy Walker hopped into her son's little red Chevy pickup and began a journey fashioned from love and grief.

Though she'd peeled off the decals of the two naked women that her son had stuck on the back window, she'd left the two of the partially clad vixens holding martini glasses because they made her smile, not blush. She'd also left the Marines decal and the bold-lettered one that reads: Beast.

The Beast was the nickname of her son, Marine Staff Sgt. Allan Walker. He earned it as a 6-foot-2, 230-pound growling drill sergeant. The nickname followed him to Iraq, where he was killed in an ambush on April 6. He died three days shy of his 29th birthday.

Walker's funeral, his wake and a flagpole dedication at his former high school helped keep his mother, a schoolteacher, busy. Afterward, when things grew quiet, she started tapping away on her computer, reaching out to the parents of the other Echo Company Marines who were killed in Iraq.

Then she hatched her plan to drive her son's truck with her daughter, Lara, 27, from Lancaster, 60 miles north of Los Angeles, to Texas and up to Iowa and Minnesota and beyond to visit the mothers and fathers she'd contacted through e-mail and phone calls.

Her ex-husband, Kenneth Walker, started a journey inward to a resting place from his pain: the Hindu teachings he’s embraced for decades. Those ancient teachings, Vedanta, tell him that because death is only part of something much larger, it need not be mourned.

"There is no such thing as death," he said at his home in a trailer park in Palmdale, a wide-open place where Allan played football and flipped burgers before he joined the Marines.

Allan wasn't easy to figure out. "He had all these little twists and turns," said his former football coach, Jim Root, who considered him a friend.

Allan was the high school jock who also hung with the drama kids. The rebellious teenager in punk rock T-shirts and spiked hair who loved poetry. The tough Guinness-beer drinking, rugby-loving Marine who surprised friends with obscure literary quotes.

He didn't graduate from high school on time, and when he finally got his diploma he took a minimum-wage job. Then, at 19, he signed up with the Marines.

He became a drill sergeant, grooming recruits. Then the war began.

"How can I teach a corporal how to take a hill if he's been there and I have never?" he asked his father a year ago. "How can I teach men to fight if I've never been to battle?"

Then Walker and his father had a falling-out. When he left for Iraq he didn't say goodbye.

"I have no doubt that in time we would have gotten past that and that old friendship could have been restored," his father said.

Weeks after Walker’s death, a box arrived with his things, including a small scrap of yellow paper, a letter to his father that he'd started on March 25 but never finished.

The words weren’t particularly sentimental, but they told Kenneth Walker that the door between his son and him hadn't been shut.

"Everything is fine," Allan wrote. "Most of the people here understand and accept. There are some people that don't want us here, but so what? This country is a sewer and these people who have been living in tyranny all these years don't realize how bad they have it. I like the kids even though they can be annoying. I give them peppermints."

Allan’s father supports the war. His mother hates it, disagreed with it from the start. While fiercely proud of her son, she's also angry. She has no trouble speaking out against the war or President Bush because doing so honors the values her son was fighting for, she said.

Recently, she got into an argument with a stranger about Iraq while taking the truck to a mechanic so it would be ready for her trip. The stranger told her he hoped she would "never have someone she cared about over there."

She pulled herself up to her full 5 feet 4, pointed at the truck and told him how she'd recently inherited it from her son, the Marine. And went on to give him a few more of her opinions about the war.

It helps sometimes to blow off steam like that, she said, just as it eases her heart to talk. She’s making the trip in her son's truck so that perhaps, by being in the company of those who know how she feels, she'll find some peace.

Contact Thaai Walker at TWalker@mercurynews.com

http://www.realcities.com/images/realcities/realcities/9263/85808892534.jpg

Home: Lancaster, Calif

Staff Sgt. Allan K. Walker
"How can I teach a corporal how to take a hill if he's been there and I have never? How can I teach men to fight if I've never been to battle?"

http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/news/special_packages/echo_company/9282988.htm

Ellie

thedrifter
08-28-04, 09:15 AM
August 24, 2004

More Lejeune Marines deploy to Iraq

Associated Press

CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — About 160 Marines and sailors from the 2nd Force Service Support Group have left Camp Lejeune for Iraq, bringing to roughly 250 the number in this latest deployment from the group.
Rob and Barb Ogden of Virginia watched Monday as 20-year-old Lance Cpl. Tim Dobbins, a Humvee and truck driver, said goodbye to his 1-year-old son, Dylon.

“I’m pretty overwhelmed,” said Dobbins’ mom, Barb, as she quietly wiped away tears. “Just get him home safely.”

Dobbins, in the Marine Corps just more than a year, recently started practicing to be a machine gunner in an armored turret atop the Humvee he normally drives.

His best friend, 20-year-old Lance Cpl. Ryan Sullivan, a Humvee and truck driver from Mount Airy, is also deploying to Iraq with Bravo Company — a group composed mostly of drivers and mechanics.

Dobbins and Sullivan entered the Marine Corps at the same time and went through basic training together. The two suspect Dobbins will be the gunner while Sullivan drives the Humvee.

“Nobody knows until we get there,” Sullivan said. “All I know is he’s all I’ve got over there. I’ve got his back, and he’s got mine.”

The group has prepared for this mission since March, Sullivan said. In Iraq, they’ll replace a similar detachment from Alpha Company, 2nd Transportation Support Battalion.

Both Dobbins and Sullivan will turn 21 during the deployment, so they’re planning a joint birthday bash for when they get home.

“They’re not old enough to drink, but they can go over and defend our country,” said Sullivan’s father, Tim. “I just want my son back safely.”

1st Sgt. Orlanda Grimsley of Dothan, Ala., said the unit will “be running resupplies into some hotspot cities” during the deployment.

There has been frequent communication between the two companies, Grimsley said, so these troops aren’t deploying into the unknown. Every time Alpha Company learned something, it sent information via classified e-mail to Bravo Company, which in turn practiced it.

“We just want to get over there, put in our time and get back,” Grimsley said. “We’re tired of training. We’re ready to go.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-318290.php

Ellie

thedrifter
08-28-04, 12:56 PM
Reservists' Testimony Details Sleep Deprivation at U.S. Facility in Iraq <br />
Marines say they were told to keep prisoners standing, a tactic the Corps later banned. <br />
<br />
By Tony Perry, Times Staff Writer...

thedrifter
08-28-04, 06:39 PM
'Keep them standing,' Marine says he was told <br />
<br />
Testimony comes in prisoner death case <br />
By Alex Roth <br />
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER <br />
August 28, 2004 <br />
<br />
CAMP PENDLETON – More Marine reservists...