PDA

View Full Version : Blindness doesn't stop teen from seeing goals

thedrifter
08-27-04, 11:09 PM
Posted on Fri, Aug. 27, 2004

MOSS POINT

Blindness doesn't stop teen from seeing goals

Lt. j.g. Justin Robbins loves to participate in the Moss Point High Navy Junior ROTC.

As a platoon leader, he leads 60 cadets, carrying the flag. Robbins is an inspiration: an honor roll student who sets a great example with his work ethic and would make an excellent Navy officer.

Unfortunately, one thing is holding him back from his military dream: He's legally blind.

"If I could enlist, I would jump in as quick as I could," said Robbins, 16. "I realize I'll never be able to get into the military unless they come up with surgery to fix my eyes."

His eyes are sensitive to bright sunlight because of a cone deficiency at birth.

"I can see better in dim light, but without my sunshades, it's a whiteout outside," he said. "I study holding my books really close to my eyes. They don't make glasses strong enough for my 20:400 vision."

He doesn't let the handicap hold him back.

"You don't have to be able to see to lead people," said AW1 Robert Rickgauer, an ROTC instructor and retired Navy aviation warfare systems operator first class. "Justin has proven that already. His ROTC training will help provide the skills he needs out in the world. He will go far."

Robbins excelled this summer at an ROTC leadership academy at Pensacola Naval Air Station. It was a rigorous 18-hour-a-day boot camp, but for the wiry Robbins, it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

He proudly wears the silver cord awarded for his performance and an Orienteering Ribbon, one of 10 he has earned.

"I set goals for my life. One is to complete the ROTC program and prove to myself that I can do as good or better than any others," he said. "I realize that I have to work harder than most everyone else."

Robbins admits that some classmates in the past have made fun of him.

"I feel I am breaking new ground, proving to everyone who has a handicap that they can accomplish goals if they set their mind to it. You can make it through anything."

Robbins said he hopes to be ROTC commanding officer next year.

"I want to help train other cadets so that when they get into the military, they can lead better than I ever could," he said.

Last year, the MPHS program turned out two enlistees for each of the four military branches: Navy, Marines, Air Force and Army.

Robbins is a confident and determined young person.

"When I go off to college and study architecture, I know all of my training will help me with my major and help me get a good job," he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gary Holland is Jackson County associate editor of The Sun Herald. He can be reached at 762-0741 and garyholland77@aol.com.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/9508609.htm

Ellie