PDA

View Full Version : Don’t Cheapen True Heroism

thedrifter
08-27-04, 06:31 AM
08-25-2004

Don’t Cheapen True Heroism

By Ralf W. Zimmermann

In response to my recent article on eroding military values (“Social Engineering Ruined Our Soldiers,” DefenseWatch, Aug. 11, 2004), a fine infantry sergeant asked me to address the misinterpretation of the meaning of “hero” in American society today.

In his letter he said, “The lack of a true hero seems to be the main cause why today’s soldiers act as arrogantly as they do. They’ve been told by every media talking head that they are ‘heroes’ for merely doing their jobs. Sadly, most of the troops don’t meet the standards of excellence set forth by true heroes, such as Sergeant Alvin York of World War I fame.”

The noncom reiterated that soldiers should be proud of their service. He concluded, “Sir, I’ve served in the first Gulf War and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Still, I’m no hero! I’m a soldier doing his best for America.”

The infantry NCO touched on something disturbing – a rampant inflation of shallow heroism versus the appropriate recognition for those who perform their sworn duty. With inflated job resumes and Hollywood exaggerations of historic events, the hero disease is rapidly spreading in America.

Why?

It’s all about the Dollar. Fake heroism is selling magazines, books, merchandise, careers, benefits and more war.

As a consequence, true heroism is tough to recognize. Just follow the discussions surrounding Senator John Kerry’s actions in Vietnam. If he wasn’t a true hero, then what’s wrong with the notion that he was doubtlessly fulfilling his patriotic duty to America?

I believe that a true hero rises to the occasion when confronted with a dire situation, facing overwhelming odds. The hero accepts that he could be killed while acting for the good of society, his comrades or even a stranger.

When I think about the difference between heroism and the act of doing ones duty, I compare my father’s service in World War II with my own in modern times.

Not even twenty years of age, my old man fought in over 75 direct-fire engagements of World War II on all fronts and without lengthy recovery periods.

During the final days of the war, my old man’s Panzer unit, together with hodge-podge remnants of several infantry outfits had temporarily halted a Russian mass-attack near Stuhlweissenburg, Hungary. Several Panther tanks remained in position to allow the German infantry Landsers to withdraw to a fallback position.

Quickly, the Russians renewed the attack. The German tankers held on for dear life and fired up all remaining ammunition – my father’s tank was put out of action when an artillery shell hit the top of his tank’s turret. The situation nearly hopeless as the attacking Russians closed in.

Suddenly, German machine gun and assault rifle fire penetrated the battlefield ruckus. A young infantry NCO and a handful of tired grunts had taken the initiative and counterattacked to allow the panzer crews to break free. The noncom had also sent a messenger to my father’s company commander, who immediately directed another tank to reinforce the counterattack. After thirty minutes of brutal close-in fighting, exhausted and grimy Panzermen and infantry grunts passed a bottle of Vodka – they celebrated their birthdays, as had become their tradition.

Were these men heroes?

In my father’s opinion, they weren’t. He insisted that his Panzermen and the grunts were merely blood brothers. They had done for each other what had been necessary to stay alive. In March 1945, bare survival had taken the place of medals for heroism.

In over twenty years of my own service in U.S. armor and recon assignments, I can honestly tell you that I’ve never been in situations like this.

Thankfully, during Operation Desert Storm we went to war numerically and technically superior to the Iraqi enemy. Our skirmishes with the fleeing Iraqis resembled more a turkey shoot than a desperate tank battle – the odds were never against us. Consequently, I’m not ashamed to say that I – like many other American troops – did my duty and did it well. Nonetheless, I wouldn’t call myself a hero.

Throughout my entire military career, I’ve always been disgusted with those who schemed and scratched for every possible medal and patch, like immature Boy Scouts. I never understood why doing one’s duty wasn’t enough.

Maybe the American news media and our overzealous political and military leaders could help us all to rediscover the true meaning of heroism by appropriately addressing the fulfillment that can come with simply doing one’s duty for a greater cause.

That would make it much easier to focus on those who truly took on the impossible odds and risked life and limb for the common good.

DefenseWatch Senior Military Correspondent Lt. Col. Ralf W. Zimmermann, USA (Ret.) is a decorated Desert Storm veteran and former tank battalion commander. His recent novel, “Brotherhood of Iron,” deals with the German soldier in World War II. It is directly available from www.iUniverse.com and through most major book dealers. Zimm can be reached at r6zimm@earthlink.net or via his website at www.home.earthlink.net/~r6zimm. © 2004 LandserUSA. Please send Feedback responses to dwfeedback@yahoo.com.

http://www.sftt.org/cgi-bin/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=DefenseWatch.db&command=viewone&op=t&id=610&rnd=907.1560377858217

Ellie

MillRatUSMC
08-27-04, 07:30 AM
Why is there a little echo in my mind?
Remembering my Company Commander of Golf 2/1 telling us;
"I won't give or issue no medals for doing your job in Vietnam.
We wouldn't wanted any better than that.
Yet, we saw men act and doing things above the norm of an infantry company.
Were we "heroes" for doing our job?
Only God knows the answer to that question...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

radio relay
08-27-04, 09:25 AM
Wish more people could get that through their heads.

The reason why I like to post my little rack in my signature, is for that very reason. Not one of those is of any consequence. No "hero" status attached to any of them. Not even top notch shooting badges.

What those six common, everyday, run of the mill ribbbons say is "I answered the call, and did my job". I didn't have the chance of circumstance to "win" anything more, but, like so many of my brothers, and sisters, I answered the call. For that reason, they are all "heros", and I'm damned proud to stand among them, and you all!

Once again, wish more people could understand that!