PDA

View Full Version : Hurry up November

CMyr
08-26-04, 04:13 PM
From Washington Wrap - Trail bytes

On Wednesday, Kerry made his third visit to Green Bay, Wis., this year and made it a point to focus on the main thing the city revolves around: football and the Green Bay Packers.

En route to a front-porch event (which, incidentally, took place in a backyard), Kerry stopped off at West High School and spent about an hour with its football team, which was practicing for this week's game. Eventually, he lined up at quarterback and ran a few plays, with his final play turning into a bit of a disaster.

Kerry described it later saying, "I got to run through a couple of plays and on one, my pitch-off sort of got fumbled ... so I grabbed the ball as fast as I could, fell on it and rolled over."

During the front-porch event, he spoke to a crowd of about 100 local residents in the yard of supporter Susan Laabs and, fully realizing where he was, strategically referenced Hall of Fame Packers coach Vince Lombardi three separate times during his remarks.

"Vince Lombardi said that who we are is really measured by what you do with what you have. And we can do more with what we have in this country," said Kerry.
(I've never heard that quote before-:p)

Unfortunately, during the event, Kerry fumbled for a second time, though this one didn't involve a football.

As he was taking questions from the audience, he referred to the legendary Packers stadium, Lambeau Field (which has been called that for 39 years) as "Lambert Field." :no:

If the voters catch wind of that gaffe, it could take Kerry another three visits to Green Bay to make up for it. (please spare us!)
--Steve Chaggaris