PDA

View Full Version : Stinger Marines rush to aid downed crew

thedrifter
08-26-04, 06:55 AM
Stinger Marines rush to aid downed crew
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 200482612625
Story by Lance Cpl. Jonathan K. Teslevich

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, OKINAWA, Japan — (Aug. 19, 2004 ) -- Marines with 1st Stinger Battery, Marine Air Control Group-18, literally leapt into action and were the first to respond to a downed CH-53D Sea Stallion that injured three crew-members just outside the air station fence line in Ginowan City Aug. 13.

Marines with the battery were standing in formation facing the fence line when the helicopter, attached to Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron-265, went down.

“Our first sergeant was addressing the formation when we saw the helicopter go into a flat spin toward the ground,” said Sgt. Richard B. Cline, section leader, 2nd Platoon. “The whole battery just took off in the direction of the falling helicopter.”

Two barbed wire fences, one with a 15-foot drop, blocked the Marines’ 300-meter dash to the helicopter.

“When I was running toward the crash, all I could think about was that Marines were in trouble and needed assistance fast,” said Lance Cpl. Christopher A. Teague, a Stinger gunner. “Normally a couple barbed wire fences, and especially the 15-foot drop, would have made me think twice, but looking back, I was up and over them in no time.”

The Marines found the helicopter, and the building it had clipped, in flames. Two crewmembers were on the ground alongside the helicopter, and one was still inside. The responding Marines’ quick assessment of the situation and actions may have prevented a dangerous situation from becoming a deadly one.

“I reached the helicopter and noticed the pilot inside, so I went in to help pull him out,” said Teague. “Through the smoke-filled cabin I saw that he was pinned by his seat, so I grabbed hold and ripped him free. The two of us were about 20-feet away when the helicopter blew up, and a heat wave washed over us.”

While their fellow Marines were rescuing the crew, other battery Marines turned to additional concerns.

“The building was on fire, and there could have been Okinawans inside, so we cleared it to make sure no one was hurt or trapped,” said Cpl. Thomas M. Joyce, also a member of the responding Stinger battery. “We had Marines down, but it would’ve been even worse if a civilian had been injured or killed.”

With the helicopter and building clear, the remainder of the Stinger Marines set up a perimeter to keep the growing crowd of onlookers at a safe distance from the crash site, Cline stated.

“I think we were lucky to have been standing in formation that afternoon,” Cline said. “These Marines reacted as a team and saved lives.”

Normal response time by the Marines devoted to responding to air station crashes, the Crash Fire Rescue team, is two minutes, but getting to this crash site was difficult because it was outside of the fence, stated Gunnery Sgt. Donald A. Arbini, a section leader with Crash Fire Rescue.

“The crash was a couple hundred meters away from Stinger’s building, and they were on the scene with the crew loaded into ambulances when CFR showed up after driving through town to get there,” Arbini said. “Time is crucial in aircraft crash rescues, and there is no doubt that their quick actions aided the crew in getting out.”

No civilian injuries were reported, but all three crewmembers were transported to U.S. Naval Hospital, Okinawa, where they were listed in stable condition. Two suffered back injuries, and one sustained a hand injury, according to the attending physician.

“I’d never been involved in any situation even resembling this and had never been so afraid in my life,” said Teague. “I think the training we go through as Marines and a desire to help pushed the fear aside.”

The helicopter and its crew are part of Marine Heavy Helicopter Squadron-463, currently attached to composite helicopter squadron HMM-265 as the aviation combat element of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200482613459/$file/Release0422-2004-02low.jpg

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, OKINAWA, Japan — (From left to right) Lance Cpl. Christopher A. Teague, Cpl. Thomas M. Joyce, Sgt. Richard B. Cline, Cpl. Michael A. Knight, all with 1st Stinger Battery, Marine Air Control Group-18, were the first Marines from their battery to reach a downed CH-53D Sea Stallion just outside the air station fence line Aug. 13. The Stinger Marines pulled the helicopter crew to safety and set up a perimeter to keep onlookers a safe distance from the burning crash site. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jonathan K. Teslevich

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/03A418D582E46D8F85256EFC001DE28B?opendocument

Ellie