PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps motorcycle club donates money to injured OIF Marine

thedrifter
08-26-04, 06:32 AM
Marine Corps motorcycle club donates money to injured OIF Marine
Submitted by: New York City Public Affairs
Story Identification #: 2004824155714
Story by Gunnery Sgt. John S. Jamison Jr.

MASSAPEQUA, N.Y. (August 20, 2004) -- Outside a small building, which houses the Sunrise Chapter of the Marine Corps League in Massapequa, N.Y., Old Glory proudly flew, while the scarlet and gold colors of the U.S. Marines whipped in similar breezes. The same breezes carried the sounds of the Marine's Hymn and the sounds of a meeting coming to order.

Inside, were Marines from all eras of modern war - WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Beirut, Desert Storm...

One Marine, from the most recent Operation Iraqi Freedom, sat in a wheel chair outside the adjournment. During a break in the meeting, Mike Devine, president of "Marines, the Few the Proud" (MTFTP) motorcycle club, presented the Marine with a token of support from some people who care.

Corporal Hector Delgado, a Selden, N.Y., native, was escaping the heat of the Iraqi sun
near An-Nasiriyah, Iraq on April 14, 2003. He and a few other Marines were in the shade of a tractor-trailer when the uprights of the tanker gave way and landed atop of Delgado's lower torso and legs, crushing him.

After a myriad of surgeries and hospital visits, Delgado said he has been recuperating rapidly and the prognosis for him to walk again is good.

Delgado added that his wonderful, supportive family has stuck by him through the ordeal, mentally, physically and financially. Although the support has helped the young man, it has taken a toll on the family monetarily.

In an effort to assist the family, Mike Divine and the other 17 members of "Marines, the Few the Proud," a non-profit organization, coordinated the 1st Annual Hector Delgado Run July 17.

Money was collected at the Indian Motorcycle dealership in St. James, N.Y., which hosted the event. There were donations from concerned people who had heard of Delgado's plight, and money and gift certificates collected from businesses who wanted to help.

MTFTP presented Delgado with the donated money at The Sunrise Detachment meeting.

"The reason we did this is to show others that they can raise money and help those who return injured," said Devine. "We also don't want anyone to come home and feel we did after Vietnam."

Delgado was grateful for the effort. "I have my good days and bad days..." he said. "Being a Marine is what keeps me going though. I thank you all for everything you have done for me and my family."

In all, the money and gift certificates added up to $10,700 in support for the Delgados' trips to the hospital and other expenses that are not normally covered by the government.

After the ceremony, in an anti-room of the hall, Delgado's mother Polar said with tears in her eyes, "I just wanted to say thank you to all of you."

"I must say that this was a good day's work," said Stew Rubin, vice-president of MTFTP, of the event that raised the money. "It will be great when Hector walks over and hands the donations from next year's run to another family that needs it."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004824161350/$file/present_low.jpg

"Marines, the Few the Proud" motorcycle club president Mike Devine presents Hector Delgado with money from the 1st Annual Hector Delgado Run in New York July 17. Delgado was injured during Operation Iraqi Freedom last year. The donations consisted of money and gift certificates that added up to more than $10,700. Photo by: Gunnery Sgt. John Jamison Jr.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/25E30949C664F99185256EFA006D9C7F?opendocument

Ellie