10-02-02, 04:34 PM
http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/MarthaStewart/MarthaGIFS/matson.gif

Sparrowhawk
09-15-04, 02:48 PM
Martha Stewart Asks to Get Jail Over With

http://vvakerry.bizland.com/Martha.jpg

Wednesday September 15, 3:32 PM EDT

By Martha Graybow

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Homemaking icon Martha Stewart on Wednesday said she wants to start serving her jail sentence for lying about a suspicious stock sale as soon as possible, so she can put her "nightmare" behind her and be home in time to plant her garden for spring.

Stewart told a news conference she did not want to wait for the appeal process, which could take a year, and wanted to reclaim her good name and her personal and professional life.

"I want to put this nightmare behind me," said the 63-year-old Stewart, who built a business empire instructing Americans how to bake pies, organize their cupboards and tend rose bushes. "I want to reclaim my good life and good works."

The surprise decision boosted shares of Stewart's beleaguered Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc. (MSO), as investors hoped the move could quickly restore her to the helm of her namesake firm. The company's shares rose 41 cents, or 3.68 percent, to $11.55 on the New York Stock Exchange on Wednesday afternoon.

Stewart was convicted in March, and in July was sentenced to five months in jail and five months of house arrest, the lightest term allowed by law.

SOONER RATHER THAN LATER

Stewart remained free while pursuing her appeal, but said Wednesday she wanted to serve her sentence sooner rather than later even as she maintained her innocence.

"While I and my attorneys firmly believe in the strength of (my) appeal, recent delays and extensions have now made it abundantly clear that my appeal will not be heard until sometime next year. So I have decided to serve my sentence now," she said in a brief appearance at her company's airy Manhattan loft offices during which she was composed but shed some tears.

America's best-known home decorating expert said she will miss her dogs, cats, canaries and horses, and even her chickens.

"I hope too that I will be able to begin serving my sentence in the very near future because I would like to be back as early in March as possible in order to plant the spring garden," she said.

Stewart's decision is unusual for someone pursuing an appeal, said Fordham University law professor Jim Cohen.

"I don't think her chances of appeal are over, but she's saying, 'Let's get it over with,"' he said. "It's not as though this (sentence) is going to be hard labor."

Stewart turned a home catering business in her own kitchen into a media and merchandising powerhouse that boasts TV shows, magazines and a line of housewares sold at Kmart (KMRT) stores. Her firm has been hard hit by her legal woes, with advertising sales at her publishing and TV units down sharply and the company expected to post another loss in the current third quarter on top of a second-quarter loss.

"We think that the advertisers are not going to come back, or not all of them," said stock analyst Dennis McAlpine. "We think there will be continued earnings disappointment and would not recommend the shares."

Stewart resigned as chairman and chief executive in June 2003. President and CEO Sharon Patrick told reporters that "while it is a very sad day for us, I think that we join Martha in being relieved that we now know there is going to be a resolution."

Stewart's lawyers said they would continue with her appeal despite her decision. The lawyers said they hoped she could serve her term at a minimum security federal prison in Connecticut, not far from her spacious home, but that they would ask for a similar facility near Orlando, Florida if there was no space in Connecticut.

(Additional reporting by Mark Egan and Michele Gershberg)

hrscowboy
09-15-04, 05:57 PM
she should have got a harder sentence you can bet if it had been one of us they would have thrown away the keys. I hope a convict whips her up real good...

garryh123
09-15-04, 06:04 PM
Sh*t...she'll have a single cell...no contact with the general "club med" prison population..LOL

greensideout
09-15-04, 07:51 PM
I kind'a like Martha in a way. She brought more honor to the stay-at-home mom then the feminest could stand. She proved that homemaking was more of an art then a chore and the PC folks hated that. Sure she got nailed for the insider stuff but then she was a target, sort of like Bill Gates. The lefties don't like successful people, they want "victims" who require the help of the government to get by.

HardJedi
09-15-04, 08:02 PM
ohhh ok, Martha was a VICTIM, is that what you are saying greensideout? and Bill Gates too? A VICTIM? to me, that is what you are implying by calling them targets.

greensideout
09-15-04, 08:13 PM
LOL---quite the opposite! They are sucessful, therefor they become targets by those that believe that the subects of the "left" should require the government's help in their lives. Come on, she admits doing wrong and has lined up to do her time!---LOL

Sparrowhawk
09-15-04, 08:18 PM
She called the news media, and then plugged her company for 8 out of the ten minutes. LOL

I figure she'll want to go to jail now, because of limited space, the judge will have to have mercy on her, let her off during Thanksgiving and Christmas because of her 90 year old mother.

And of course the news will be notified each time her 90-year-old mom goes to visit her daughter in jail. LOl

She is a smart one all right.

ivalis
09-15-04, 10:38 PM
Mullah Ascroft can convict Martha & Tommy Chong. The real criminals are laughing.

Lock-n-Load
09-16-04, 06:00 AM
:marine: Convicted felon Martha Stewart is going into the slammer to serve out her "light" sentence...who can have any sympathy for a criminal of her ilk??...imagine all of the hundreds of thousands who liked her enough, to invest millions of their hard earned dollars [collectively] into her sucker promos, I say again, to inveigle them, so she and her broker could get filthy RICHER at her follower's expense...she got tripped up by her own friggin'...GREED...I hope the...shame...of BRIG/LIFE breaks her down completely [emotionally and physically] while in the BRIG!!....who the hell does she think she is above the laws of our land...she broke the law and got busted and was found ...GUILTY...by the jury!!.....next case!!:marine:

Sparrowhawk
09-16-04, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by ivalis
Mullah Ascroft can convict Martha & Tommy Chong. The real criminals are laughing.

Ahhhh, good ol Tommy

He pled quilty for to selling drug paraphernalia, which eh was selling on his web site linked to other drug dealers.

He faced up to three years in jail and got out after only serving about six months... Oh, but they made him take down his web site...

He should have done the full term.... like Martha he broke the law.

Under the Clinton administration, he would have been made the drug zar.....

greensideout
09-16-04, 07:36 PM
Good point Sparrow Hawk!

I always wondered how the O.J. trail turned into the Furman trail?

Does anyone think we may have a problem with the Judges?

The Cop on the beat nails them, brings them in, provides evidence and then watches them walk---hummm.

hrscowboy
09-16-04, 08:32 PM
I hope one of those women convicts hold her down an makes her eat garbage. This broad ripped alot of folks off and she should have got a hellava lot more time then she did.

Sparrowhawk
09-27-04, 05:36 PM
No. 55170-054

Martha Stewart: No. 55170-054
Associated Press
September 27, 2004 MARTHANUMBER0928

NEW YORK - Martha Stewart still does not know where she will do her time, but she has already been designated federal inmate No. 55170-054.

The celebrity homemaker, who must begin serving her five-month prison sentence by Oct. 8, was assigned the number by federal marshals.

The number now appears under Stewart's name on the U.S. Bureau of Prisons Web site. She is also listed as ``in transit,'' but the designation simply means she has a reporting date, prisons spokesman Dan Dunne said today.

Prisons officials still must decide where Stewart will serve her time for lying about a stock sale. She has asked to be assigned to the minimum-security federal prison in Danbury, Conn., to make it easier for her 90-year-old mother to visit.

Sparrowhawk
09-27-04, 06:30 PM
in ten minutes many combinations of Martha and her prison no. were registered on the internet.

The people registering the first batch of wed addresses with Martha and her number made the mistake of putting the - in the number.

No. 55170-054 which most people will not put in a web address.

I bought Martha55170054.com

and placed it up for sale right away....

It takes about 24 hours for it to show up on the web site.

Do you think I wasted my money $19.00 or that somebody will buy it from me or offer me a price for it?

Either way, you should have seen how fast all those web sites sold...

Unavailable:
View Whois | Send Anonymous Offer - 55170-054.com View Whois | Send Anonymous Offer - 55170-054.net
View Whois | Send Anonymous Offer - 55170-054.org View Whois | Send Anonymous Offer - 55170-054.biz
View Whois | Send Anonymous Offer - 55170-054.info View Whois | Send Anonymous Offer - 55170-054.us
View Whois | Send Anonymous Offer - 55170-054.ws View Whois | Send Anonymous Offer - 55170-054.cc

I obtained the following web address; I have seen this happen before with other news stories and they sell like hotcakes for thousands of dollars.

Martha55170054.com (http://everydayissaturday.bizland.com/home.html)

If it sells I will buy everyone on Leatherneck.com an emailed cold beer... LMAO

I am really, really gona repent after this one....