PDA

View Full Version : Pensive Pride

thedrifter
08-23-04, 05:52 AM
Pensive Pride
Marine grads face uncertain times

By MICHAEL KERR
Gazette staff writer
The firefights, kidnappings and suicide bombings that have made headlines during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan never made Jason Figari doubt his decision to become a Marine.
His classmates at the State University of New York at Albany questioned why he'd want to join the military during a time of war, and his parents expressed their obvious concerns. But Figari knew he was simply doing what he needed to do.

"It gave me a little more pride in what I was doing," the 19-year-old from Long Island, N.Y., said of the wars, which were in full swing by the time he signed his commitment to the Marine Corps last August.

For Aaron Graves, a 20-year-old from West Virginia, the ongoing military campaigns were all the more reason to join the Marines.

"It made you feel like you wanted to do something, be a part of solving the problem," said Graves, who signed his commitment papers in July 2003. "I'm definitely ready for what's coming next."

And what's coming next is unknown.

On Thursday, Figari and Graves completed their 13-week transformations from civilians to Marines as their Parris Island drill instructors presented them with Marine Corps emblems, the legendary globe and anchor pins that signify their new status as full-fledged Marines.

Both men will serve in the Marine Corps Reserves, and both know that the conflicts throughout the world could soon send them into a combat zone at just a little more than a moment's notice.

"Even more than pride, it was concern," Peter Figari, Jason's dad, said of his son's decision to join the Marines. "Because of the timing, with the war going on in Iraq, there's a very good chance that he might be there fighting the way things are going. There's all this uncertainty."

Since the Iraqi war began on March 19, 2003, more than 900 U.S. troops have been killed and more than 6,000 injured, according to the Pentagon.

But Peter Figari said he knew right away that his son was determined and that there'd be no changing his mind.

"I'm proud of him for that reason," he said. "He was determined to do it, and he did it."

Stephanie and Leonard Graves, Aaron's parents, had similar concerns when their son told them he was going to be a Marine as wars raged halfway across the globe.

"I just wanted to make sure he knew what he was getting into, that he weighed the pros and cons and made a good decision," Stephanie Graves said.

"We had a lot of concerns about the world situation," Leonard Graves said. "We still do."

But on Thursday, as Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the U.S.A." played over the Peatross Parade Deck during Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island's Family Day ceremony, all of those concerns were replaced, for a moment at least, with overwhelming pride.

"I had cold chills," Stephanie Graves said, standing near the parade deck a few minutes after the ceremony. "It was pretty exciting. I'm really proud of him. Those three months were a hard experience, but I knew he could do it."

Figari's grandparents, Colette and Henry Montagni, could barely contain the pride they felt for the young Marine.

"We're very proud, very, very proud of our grandson," Colette Montagni said, beaming. "I had no doubt he'd do his best. He always does."

An Army veteran, Henry Montagni said he felt a special bond as he watched his grandson complete his arduous journey from recruit to Marine.

"It brought back a lot of memories. That's not something you forget," he said. "I'm certainly proud of him ... to be a Marine, and also to meet the challenges he met and that he was able to succeed."

All around the parade deck Thursday afternoon, family members and friends hugged, kissed and congratulated the 540 brand-new Marines who had just completed their transformation. They came to Parris Island at the end of May to train, drill and learn to work as a unit in preparation for whatever lies ahead in a world of uncertainty.

Just a few minutes after proudly claiming the title of United States Marine, Jason Figari and Aaron Graves struggled to find words to describe how they felt.

"It was really a feeling of elation," Graves said, with a smile. "It really raised the spirits, you know."

And some, Figari said, were overcome with emotion.

"I heard a lot of recruits crying," he said. "I got a little choked up."

Contact Michael Kerr at 986-5539 or mkerr@beaufortgazette.com.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/local_news/story/3757059p-3364012c.html

The Drifter's Wife

Ellie