PDA

View Full Version : Former-Marine from Minnesota receives Bronze Star

thedrifter
08-20-04, 05:51 AM
Last update: August 19, 2004 at 11:16 PM
Ex-Marine from Minnesota receives Bronze Star
Ashley H. Grant, Associated Press
August 20, 2004 BRONZE0820

A Minnesota Marine who helped a fellow Marine from a burning helicopter during the Vietnam War received a Bronze Star Thursday for his heroism.

"I don't feel like I did anything more than they would have done for me," Jeffrey C. Savelkoul said, after accepting one of the military's highest honors during a ceremony at the governor's office at the State Capitol.

The delayed award came about after another Marine heard about Savelkoul's heroics four years ago and began looking into why he hadn't been recognized.

Savelkoul, now 56, was a radio operator with an eight-man reconnaissance patrol when their helicopter came under heavy enemy fire on June 30, 1967. The rear fuel tank was hit, igniting a fierce fire and causing the aircraft to crash, killing four of its members.

Burned over 75 percent of his body and with both knees crushed, Savelkoul crawled back into the burning helicopter to rescue an unconscious colleague, who later died.

"Realizing that other members of his patrol and the crew were still trapped inside the helicopter, Lance Corporal Savelkoul tried to assist other members but was not successful," according to the official citation that earned him the medal.

He didn't receive the medal earlier because he spent two years in the hospital after the incident and he thought everyone in his group had died. Plus, he didn't think that he'd done anything out of the ordinary.

"It was a chaotic day," he said. "It was just one of those things the Marine Corps trained you to do."

Savelkoul had moved on with his life, working in East Bethel as an electrician.

At a reunion four years ago, he was talking to a fellow Marine, and they realized they'd served in the same unit 45 days apart. When former Lt. Bill Muter heard Savelkoul's story, he started making inquiries into why he hadn't received a Bronze Star.

In the military, medals must be awarded by someone up the chain of command.

"They were all dead," Muter said.

All but one, as he found out. An executive officer had transferred into the battalion three days before Savelkoul's action and was the missing link that led to the award.

"It's nice to be recognized, but more importantly, it recognizes the guys who didn't come home," Savelkoul said. "This is for them."

"To do what you did, you are a hero," Gov. Tim Pawlenty said.

Savelkoul's father, Donald Savelkoul -- a state representative in the 1960s and World War II veteran with a Bronze Star himself -- died this year and didn't get to see his son receive the award.

But the younger Savelkoul has already decided where he'll display his medal.

"I'm going to put it right up next to my dad's Bronze Star," he said.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4937184.html

Ellie