PDA

View Full Version : Former Marine goes from 'devil dog' to 'devil doc'

thedrifter
08-20-04, 05:35 AM
Former Marine goes from 'devil dog' to 'devil doc'
Submitted by: MCRD Parris Island
Story Identification #: 200481995749
Story by Lance Cpl. Darhonda V. Hall

MCRD/ERR PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. (Aug. 20, 2004) -- Since he was six years old, Richard O'Neal Lynch has had a dream to become a doctor.

After joining the Marine Corps in November 1989 and attending recruit training with Charlie Co., 1st RTBn. aboard Parris Island, Lynch still clung tightly to his childhood dream and aspiration.

"I still had the dream of becoming a physician even after the Marines," Lynch said. "I remained focused on that dream by spending time working with and shadowing community physicians and volunteering at the local hospital to make sure that medicine was what I really wanted to do. I kept the goal constantly ahead of me and deviated for nothing."

Lynch started taking college courses while on active duty in the Marines and then completed his degree in Physics at East Carolina University in Greenville, N.C.
The physician went on two scholarship programs: The Board of Governors Scholarship and Brody Fellowship, and also used his G.I. Bill.

Everyone who has a will to reach a goal that they have set for themselves may also have a role model who has helped them develop the will.

Lynch said he was originally encouraged to join the Marine Corps by his goal-oriented and compassionate older brother who joined the Marine Corps.

"My mother's determination inspired me," he said. "I consider my first grade teacher to be another role model in my life because she taught me that you can have second chances."

Lynch's role models all helped him achieve his goal of becoming a physician. His success in accomplishing his goal has set others to look up to him in the same way he looked up to his brother, mother and teacher.

"[Lynch] is a very down-to-earth person," said Seaman Lissette Tapia, corpsman of sports medicine. "He is definitely someone I look up to."
The saying: "Once a Marine, always a Marine" proves its existence in many ways.

"I still find myself saying "we" when referring to Marines or the Marine Corps," said the former corporal. "I think the pride, espirt de corps and discipline remains. I absolutely enjoyed [the Marine Corps], I still think of it as some of the best times of my life."

Lynch served four years active duty in the administrative job field and had a military occupational specialty as a unit diary clerk and did on-the-job-training in avionics at the end of his Marine Corps time and finally served two years in the Marine Corps reserves.

Now in the Navy reserves for the past two years and seven months, Lynch has been recalled to active duty aboard the Depot.

"It is definitely interesting seeing boot camp from the 'other' side," said Lynch.

As the saying goes, it is a small world. It is also a small Marine Corps, after all. While performing physical exams one time, he encountered a gunnery sergeant he recognized. He and the gunnery sergeant had been lance corporals in the same unit when he was in the Marine Corps.

"We spent most of the time reminiscing and talking about what our old buddies had gone on to do and which of them were still in the Corps," Lynch said.

Although remembering unforgettable times in the Marine Corps, the Navy has also impacted the physician in similar ways.

"I have the opportunity to work with some of the best young men and women our nation has to offer," Lynch said.

Lynch's striving personality has rubbed off, not only on some of the personnel he works with, but recruits who have become demotivated.

"[Lynch] has helped recruits get through their injuries," said Lt. Miriam Meko, General Medical Officer. "He has brought a great attitude here."

"He is a great teacher and very enthusiastic. It is great having him here," she added.

Lynch's passion for his job shows as he works around others who notice the sincere concern he has for his patients.

"He treats every patient with care," said Petty Officer 3rd Class Charlie Love, sports medicine corpsman. "He goes above and beyond for anyone and doesn't mind the patient load that we have here on [Parris Island]."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20048191264/$file/doctor(L).jpg

Lieutenant Richard O'Neal Lynch examines a recruit who dislocated his shoulder two times. Lynch's aspiring persona helped him reach his lifelong goal to become a doctor after he served years in the Marine Corps.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Darhonda V. Hall

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/E0ED0E85A989378485256EF5004CB493?opendocument

Ellie