PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Aboard Sir, the Army sentry said to me...

Sparrowhawk
08-19-04, 11:14 AM
I have never been so well received anywhere then I was in the Washington, D.C., Virginian Area this past week.

My wife and I arrived at Dulles Airport, in Virginia and took a shuttle to Bethesda Navy Lodge in Bethesda. The van had two other passengers. And the driver who were all nationals, here from other countries.

None of them had said a word to us when we got on board and even seemed rude in how they ignored our presence, even though we had said, Hi when we got into the van. Not even the driver said anything, which seemed to be put off because he didn’t know where the Bethesda Navy Lodge was. He was unaware that it was on the Navy base.

When we got to the gate, the Army sentry on duty. Looked at us, and my wife and I, gave him our ID’s. He looked them over. Then turned to the shuttle driver and the two other passengers in the van and asked for their ID’s.

They were shocked, and he examined their ID’s then told the driver to make sure he checks in with him when he leaves the base and that the same two passengers are with him when he leaves.

Their eyes were all by then opened wide, and you could tell they were a bit shaken.

Then the sentry turned to me and said;

“Welcome Aboard, Sir, and gave a sharp salute.”

We drove through and one of the passenger a female from India, said. “It’s because of the war,” humm,”

I never answered, her. But you could tell they were all impressed by the honor the sentry paid me.

The rest of the trip was outstanding, wearing a Marine Corps cap, with Vietnam logo on it, Americans, who always struck up a conversation and were very courteous to us, always welcomed us.

In Virginia, Maryland and D.C., it was all the same. We spend three full days at the National Achieves II at College Park, Virginia. Twice we were there for over 1o hours, scanning Vietnam combat photos.

We scanned all the Marine Combat photos that they had of Marines in combat 1967, 1968. In both Black and White and color photos.

Over 2000 of them. But now we’ll have to clean them up, they were not in the best of conditions. The Marine Corps gave the achieves almost all of its photos or copies of them.

We also went to the Marine Corps Historical Museum at the Naval Ship Yard, in Washington, D.C., and while they had other pictures there, there were not many available.

http://vietnamdiary.bizland.com/knox.jpg

I was able to fine a film of me at the achieves, of our company that was filmed during Operation Knox, in September 1967. The film shows me with the M60 over my shoulder while our platoon crosses a small stream bed. My wife recognized me right away from the way I still walk, as I looked it, those memories came flooding back. Jones my gun team leader was right behind me, and I recognized him, as well as our section leader, Dumont.

There are lots of other films there, shot of different Marine Companys on operation during the Viet Nam War. Most like this one are silent....

SF

Cook

marinemom
08-19-04, 11:22 AM
AAAAANNNNNDDDD!

Not one telephone call - so that cancels out the Irish Pub Night!

Glad you had a good time.

thedrifter
08-19-04, 11:22 AM
Welcome Back Cook

Great to see You and Your Better Half enjoyed Your Trip..

Memories Good are Bad are the only thing we can hold on too....

Great Pic....

Ellie

mrbsox
08-19-04, 12:23 PM
Well done Cook, and glad to hear the trip was to your liking.

Hope ALL of the 'stirred' memories are good ones.

How does it feel to know your are 'recorded for history' ??

:marine:

Sparrowhawk
08-19-04, 01:15 PM
Hi Marinemom.

left ur phone number at home... :(

but we wouldn't been able to meet anyways.

The reunion of Marines I served with had me going every which way. Seems like they had their own ideas on, how I should spent my evenings. LOL

It would have been nice to meet you and see CAS, but didn't get a chance to do that. Thanks for the invite anyways.

We had a great time, ...\

<hr>

mrbsox

hey, you're probably there as well. I asked for a muster of my unit in Nam, and that record of our roster is there as well.

Here's a pic we scanned from the files, I found at the Archieves dated November 19, 1967, it's our platoon as we moved out. This was the day, we met the enemy face on, and took a heavy beating at this location that day.

http://vietnamdiary.bizland.com/vnpicsfilm022.jpg

Sparrowhawk
08-19-04, 01:18 PM
http://vietnamdiary.bizland.com/nov191967.jpg