PDA

View Full Version : Only in the Army - and in California!

marinemom
08-19-04, 05:47 AM
Army soldier sues to protest extended military service

By David Kravets
ASSOCIATED PRESS
12:17 a.m. August 18, 2004

SAN FRANCISCO – A California Army National Guard soldier challenged the military's so-called "stop-loss" program in federal court, claiming the Pentagon's plans to keep as many as 20,000 U.S. Army personnel beyond their time of service is illegal.
Advertisement

It was the first lawsuit challenging extended military service following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

The soldier's complaint Tuesday comes as the Army is struggling to find fresh units to continue the occupation of Iraq. Almost every combat unit has faced or will face duty there or in Afghanistan, and increased violence has forced the deployment of an additional 20,000 troops to the Iraq region, straining units even further.

The move allows the Army to keep units together as they deploy. Units with new recruits or recently transferred soldiers would not perform as well because the troops would not have had time to work together, the military said.

The soldier who is suing the military has more than a decade of service with the U.S. Marine Corps, including combat in Iraq and Somalia. Last year, after returning from Iraq, he left the Marines and made a one-year commitment to the California Army National Guard.

But he recently was notified that it was extended by as much as two years, and that he could soon be heading to Iraq for another tour of combat – all of which is against his wishes.

The soldier's attorney likened the Pentagon's move, as did Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry, as a "backdoor draft." The guardsman's attorneys did not include the decorated serviceman's name, age or hometown on the lawsuit to protect his family's privacy.

"It's not that John Doe is a coward by any means," said the sergeant's San Francisco attorney, Michael Sorgen. He said his client, who was also ordered to stay in Iraq last year beyond his enlisted commitment, suffers from post traumatic stress disorder, and his deployment has been put on hold.

Sorgen said the soldier's enlistment contract does "not authorize Doe's involuntary retention in military service under the present circumstances." He said he could be involuntary retained in the military during a time of war or national emergency, but "Congress has not declared war or a national emergency," Sorgen said.

Lt. Pamela Hart, an Army spokeswoman, said as many as 20,000 soldiers are affected, which she said was necessary for a cohesive military with seasoned personnel.

"When soldiers consider serving next to one that they've known, they know the person's strengths," Hart said, adding that it was "understandable" that some soldiers might balk at the extension of their duty. "It's much safer and comforting to know you are serving a war with someone you can count on."

She said the plan is "authorized by a statute, and allows the military services, the Army in this case, to retain those experienced, trained and skilled manpower personnel."

It is the second such challenge to the military's stop-loss program. A Georgia soldier lost a lawsuit against the Pentagon in a Georgia federal court during the first Gulf War.

Marguerite Hiken, chairwoman of the National Lawyer's Guild Military Law Task force, said the group has received "thousands" of calls from soldiers who say the recall is disrupting their civilian lives and businesses. She said the callers ask "Why doesn't the Army live up to its contract?"

The legal issue surrounds a Sept. 14, 2001, order President Bush issued days after the terror attacks, which authorized Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to ready the armed forces "to respond to the continuing and immediate threat of further terrorist attacks on the United States."

Sorgen said Iraq now cannot be "considered to pose a threat of terrorist attacks upon the United States." He said Iraq, "if it ever did" pose such a threat, now has in interim government "put in place with U.S. assistance, and Iraq is again considered a 'sovereign' nation."

The lawsuit notes the Sept. 11 commission's report said there was no "collaborative operational relationship" between terrorists and Iraq plotting attacks against the United States.

No court date has been set.

The case is Doe v. Rumsfeld, 04-3361.

bobpage
08-19-04, 12:24 PM
Look, this sucks. He joined the "Guard" to get the bennies of service, and got caught. The stop loss is in effect for the Guard and Army to STOP the running to the IRR and sick, lame, and lazy excuse. Suing is his right, and there is no shock to me that he is suing in the Bay area. But, he should have known the risk when he signed up. If he was Marine, he knew what was up. If not, he is screwed. I just finished my 2d call up and subsequent tours. I lost 2 years of my life, and I am not whining about it. The Guard and Reserves are there for this reason, and this war is different. While I may not agree with all of the things our COC is doing, I am FOR him and will stand with him. When I hear people like Kerry calling it a backdoor draft, I remember the people he is defending. The one's I mentioned above. Suck it up.

bobpage
08-19-04, 12:31 PM
One more rant. I witnessed this in the Gulf War. Many of the kids today joined for the college money alone. Ask most of them. Hell, look at them on TV and listent to them on the radio talk shows whining about having to ACTUALLY serve in a war zone. Hello! You are warriors. The entitled youth is rearing its head these days, in ways us older leaders would never dream of. Buck authority, and question everything. Done in moderation is good. They do not moderate. Whining about dirty weapons, no weapons, no flaks, etc. Makes me wonder when they will realize that it will take us 10, count 10 years to REBUILD the military to what it needs to be to fight effectively. Until then we will have to count on the ones, like me, who serve because we love this country. I came in when we got VEAP, and no chance for GI Bill. So I have no sympathy, and mostly want to remind these whiners: the very people you are leaning to in November are the ones who helped ol'Dodger gut our forces and equipment. One more point made for W. He cannot rebuild it that fast. At least he is trying.

CAR
08-19-04, 03:52 PM
bobpage,

Bob thanks for your service. I have to agree with you, he should have known it was coming. With his background I dare not call him a coward, however, I think he is going about this the wrong way.

bobpage
08-19-04, 04:28 PM
CAR,

I also agree coward does not fit a Brother Marine. But he knew the risks.

HardJedi
08-19-04, 04:37 PM
people just make me sick. plain and simple.