PDA

View Full Version : Who Was "Sam Browne"?

gunnyg
10-01-02, 05:33 PM
The "fair leather belt" of WW II Renown,worn by Marines on their green blouses, is not listed in my copy of Uniform Regulations USMC 1937. I just assumed (never assume anything) that it was because it had not yet come into use at that time; however, I did notice that one of the illustartions in that book shows a Marine in greens and wearing the leather belt.

Not sure what to make of that yet.

The "Sam Browne" belt for officers, consisted of a leather pistol, or garrison, belt and a shoulder strap. Since I find the 'fair leather belt' (listed elsewhere) as a garrison belt, it is likely that the enlisted use of the leather belt came from the officers' belt w/o the shoulder strap--maybe!

Anyway, here is the scoop on the "Sam Browne." http://www.network54.com/Forum/message?forumid=220604&messageid=1033507385

thedrifter
10-01-02, 06:57 PM
Gunny G

General Pershing admire greatly the British Sam Browne Belt and he ordered it worn by officers in the AEF (Americam Expedititionary Forces). Marine Officers called the Sam Browne a " Peter Bain," after a favorite manufacturer. It was worn until 1942 when it was replaced by a cloth belt as a wartime economy. After the war it returned on a limited bases for parade and cermonial use.

Sempers,

Roger

gunnyg
10-01-02, 07:05 PM
I know you are correct, Roger--but the Sam Browne was, I believe, brought back into uniform regs again, a few years ago, for a time anyway, and I believe it is still on the books for certain ocassions--but I like to have actual references for these things before I commit them to a webpage--especially w/my lousy memory.

Dick

thedrifter
10-01-02, 07:14 PM
Dick, I found my info in book: The Marines, by Marine Corps Heritage Foundation dtd 1998 pg 144.(There is a newer edition out, not sure of the year). Hope this is a little helpful for you.

Sempers, Roger

gunnyg
10-01-02, 07:21 PM
I have that book, and didn't look--get spoiled looking for everything on the Net!

One other thing I've been looking for and can't find--Col Robert D. Heinl once wrote a piece on Presley O'Bannon, and he brought out how the US govt had never paid as promised those several hundred arabs he used at Derne--probably in his now out-of-print, "Soldiers of The Sea"!

Just think it's humorous/timely , at this point in time, that one of our own had stiffed them!

:)

Dick