PDA

View Full Version : Raised by a DI, new Marine says he was not shocked much by recruit training

thedrifter
08-14-04, 11:34 AM
Raised by a DI, new Marine says he was not shocked much by recruit training
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification #: 2004813112434
Story by Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif. (August 13, 2004) -- Preparation has its advantages. It comes in many ways. Students cram for the SATs. Athletes study their opponents on film to find weaknesses. PFC Stephen Abelson prepped for boot camp by living his life.

Abelson was born into a Marine Corps family in Moscow, Idaho, when his father was enrolled in the Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training program.

Retired Maj. Mark Abelson was an enlisted man. In fact, he was a drill instructor.

"He had strange ways of punishing me and my brothers," said Abelson. "He'd spank us, but when we really messed up, he'd run us. Running with a drill instructor when you're 6 years old - that sucks."

Corps tradition saturates Abelson's family back to his great-great-great-grandfather, Peter Abelson. At least eight other Abelsons have worn or wear the eagle, globe and anchor.

"I've known the Marine Corps my whole life," said Abelson. "The way of life isn't new to me."

The Marine Corps wasn't what Abelson wanted to do until his senior year of high school in Fort Worth, Texas.

"At first, I was trying to sway away from the Corps," said Abelson. "I just wanted a different life for myself."

His decision soon changed.

"I was the captain of the wrestling team," said Abelson. "I was good. I was supposed to wrestle in college, but I blew out my knee. I couldn't wrestle anymore.

"A Marine recruiter came to my school and asked the coach to point out some good athletes. He told the recruiter about me and we started talking."

Abelson joined as a reservist and opted to enlist as a field radio operator. From high school, he went on to study business at the University of North Texas.

After a year in college, Abelson shipped to recruit training here and joined Platoon 2085, Company G. He said he immediately fit in.

"This didn't shock me at all," said Abelson. "I'm used to this kind of stuff. A person yelling doesn't bother me. When I first got here, I was surprised that the other recruits weren't as prepared as I was. But I had to step back and remember they haven't grown up with a drill instructor."

Abelson grew up with Marines, and he said he half expected the other recruits to act accordingly.

"All through training I'd see how some of these recruits were. They couldn't do some things right, or they didn't move fast enough. It really bothered me, but that's because I thought they should (act) like the Marines I grew up with, not civilians who didn't know what was going on."

Once he was over the fact that recruits didn't grow up like he did, Abelson said he began to help his fellow recruits.

"I got good at motivating the recruits," said Abelson. "A lot of them got discouraged, and one said to me, 'If this is how the Marine Corps is, I don't want any part of it.' I was able to genuinely tell them it wasn't like that. I've seen life in the fleet firsthand, and I told them how different it was from training."

Before the company went to the rifle range, Abelson received letters from his dad with marksmanship advice.

"My dad sent one letter that said, 'Remember, sight picture, sight alignment.' Other recruits got letters that said, 'Oh, son, we miss you. Are you all right?' My family knew exactly what I was getting into, so I knew what I was getting into."

Abelson's drill instructors made him the platoon guide because they said they saw something special about him.

"His father was a drill instructor, and we could see early on that he was more prepared than the other recruits," said Staff Sgt. Kevin L. Zetina, Abelson's senior drill instructor. "When we told the recruits to do things, Abelson did them faster, like he already knew."

When tasks had to be done, Abelson was on top of them, said Staff Sgt. Ross Norton, drill instructor, Platoon 2085. "Abelson has a get-stuff-done attitude," said Norton. "We could tell he was an exceptional recruit from the beginning."

With recruit training finished today, Abelson goes back to UNT to work on his degree. He said he plans to join the Platoon Leaders Course and eventually become a commissioned officer like his father.

Abelson's family has prepared him thus far, blazing the path laid out before him, and he said he'll go farther in life as long he takes advice from those who experienced the Corps.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004813113244/$file/09recruit09_lr.jpg

PFC Stephen Abelson, guide, Platoon 2085, Company G, attributes his success in recruit training to preparation from his father, a former drill instructor. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jess Levens

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/908F8578F800015985256EEF0054A5A3?opendocument

Ellie

MillRatUSMC
08-14-04, 08:54 PM
Why does this remind me of a Marine, I met at a Command Post Exercise or CPX, it really was just a gathering of Marines.
That Marine and I had served in the same Regiment but different companies.
It was the 5th Marines, I in Charlie Company and he in Headguarters Company.
At that CPX, we were sitting around and talking about our times in the Corps
We were in need of some refreshments, the host ask his son if he could get us some more.
The son answered. "As soon as I can."
The Marine from Headquarters Company, told the son, I think that was a command, son and I think that you should do as your father requested!"
I think the son got the idea of where my fellow "All The Way" was coming from.
Nomad, your gone on to guard Heaven's gates, but you will always be in our minds till we meet again mi hermano.
I think this what the recruit of this article saw in fleet Marines!

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

drillinstructor
09-11-04, 01:29 PM
good stories to hear I remember this recruit he was 1 week ahead of my platoon graduating on 20 Aug