PDA

View Full Version : Marines learn amphibious assault techniques

thedrifter
08-13-04, 07:09 AM
Marines learn amphibious assault techniques
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 20048120159
Story by Lance Cpl. T. J. Kaemmerer

CAMP SCHWAB, OKINAWA, Japan — (August 4, 2004) -- The raiders silently land their black, rubber boats and crawl up the beach in the last eerie moments of light just after sunset.

Under the cover of darkness, they emerge from the tree line, quickly and quietly making their way to the simulated enemy stronghold. The raiders sneak up on their enemy, breach the concertina wire and deliver a loud, decisive attack upon their enemy.

This was one of many scenarios that 96 Marines with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, participated in during clandestine, amphibious raid training taught by the III Marine Expeditionary Force Special Operations Training Group here from July 26 to Aug. 4.

The Marines from Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, here on a Unit Deployment Program tour as the battalion landing team for the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, climbed aboard 16 inflatable Zodiac boats to perfect tactics, techniques and procedures for stealthy, amphibious raids.

An amphibious raid capability is one portion of the special operations capable qualification, which the MEU needs to complete every six months as part of their pre-deployment training package, said Gunnery Sgt. Kenneth R. Kurre II, chief instructor with the Expeditionary Warfare Branch of the SOTG.

“This training package and others like it are what keep the 31st MEU special operations capable,” Kurre said.

It was difficult to get everything perfect because they were doing one mission after another, according to Pfc. Jermaine Coburn, a rifleman with BLT 1/3 who saw his fellow Marines step on simulated claymore mines.

“The Marines faced a lot of challenging obstacles and (simulated) explosive devices,” said Capt. Thomas Elders, assistant branch head with the SOTG’s Expeditionary Warfare Branch. “The Marines learned the hard way when they came across an (inert) claymore mine.

“One Marine saw the mine and didn’t let the others know. The rest of his team would have faced severe consequences for that in combat. After that, the Marines were more aware of booby traps. That’s what will save lives in combat,” Elders said.

The Marines broke into two groups during the exercise; one to perform the raid and the other to act as the enemy.

“I was acting as a (hostile enemy),” said Lance Cpl. Matthew J. Oliver, a field wireman with BLT 1/3. “I got to see how the raids were done firsthand. The surprise element really (impressed me). (The raiders) just came out of nowhere.”

The Marines’ ability to adapt to changes in terrain was impressive, Kurre said.

“The original landing site (during one of the training scenarios) was about 500 meters up the beach, but we blocked that off with wire and other obstacles,” Kurre said.

“These Marines flawlessly changed their plan by landing a little farther up the beach to continue the assault,” Kurre said.

The techniques the Marines learned during this training can be used with any kind of strike to allow them to fight their country’s battles in the air, on land or in the sea.

“I used these tactics in helicopter raids during Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan,” Kurre said. “The overall basics of raiding stay the same for any situation. The methods of (getting in and out) are the only differences.”

Each time the Marines conducted a raid, their performance improved. If mistakes were made during a raid, they weren’t repeated in future raids, Kurre explained.

“I didn’t see anything disappointing out here,” Kurre said. “The Marines’ constant progression was very impressive.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20048120620/$file/Release0390-2004-12low.jpg

040802-M-1012W-012
KIN, OKINAWA, Japan – Field radio operator Lance Cpl. Duncan McClain and fellow Marines run next to their Zodiac boat, Aug. 2, during a simulated amphibious assault here. 96 Marines with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, from Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, are here on a Unit Deployment Program tour as the battalion landing team for the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit. They participated in clandestine, amphibious raid training taught by the III Marine Expeditionary Force Special Operations Training Group here from July 26 to Aug. 4. Photo by: Cpl. Ryan Walker

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20048120923/$file/Release0390-2004-09low.jpg

KIN, OKINAWA, Japan – Scout swimmer Lance Cpl. Nathan H. Natting crawls behind a berm of sand for cover, Aug. 2, during a simulated amphibious raid here. 96 Marines with 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, from Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii, are here on a Unit Deployment Program tour as the battalion landing team for the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit. They participated in clandestine, amphibious raid training taught by the III Marine Expeditionary Force Special Operations Training Group here from July 26 to Aug. 4. Photo by: Cpl. Ryan Walker

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/C8B846FB0562219785256EEE001627A8?opendocument

Ellie