PDA

View Full Version : Combat Center bodybuilders pump up competition

thedrifter
08-10-04, 07:25 AM
Combat Center bodybuilders pump up competition
Submitted by: MCAGCC
Story Identification #: 20048617479
Story by Cpl. Itzak Lefler

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. (Aug. 6, 2004) -- Combat Center bodybuilders flexed their muscle at the International Natural
Bodybuilding Association's Southern California Bodybuilding competition at Fairfax
High School, Hollywood, Calif., July 31.

Six bodybuilders from the Combat Center bodybuilding team represented the
base, taking on professional bodybuilders around the area and several who came from out
of state.

Mike Wilt, mechanic, Exercise Support Division, kicked off the competition with
his contemporary posing routine. Wilt, who has previously won many awards at other
INBA competitions, took home 2nd place Friday night.

At shows bodybuilders strive to improve not just their appearance, but their
posing routine as well.

"Every competition has something different for the bodybuilders to work to,
whether it's a strict diet or more performances," said Stacey Dixon, coach, Combat
Center bodybuilding team. "The team did a good job at the competition."

Tamiko Shibata, commanding officer, headquarters company, Marine Corps
Communications-Electronics School, took second place in the women's open division.
Shibata said a different training regimen could have benefited her for this competition.
"I know that I could have done better," said Shibata. "One thing that I changed with
my training for this show was that I added more size. The natural bodybuilding
association look towards how toned you are and not how much muscle you have which
other bodybuilding associations look at."

The team spends endless hours in the gym trying to achieve the muscular and
toned look expected of bodybuilders.

A general workout day for Robert Martinez, adjutant chief, MCCES, is training twice
a day with a morning and afternoon workout that included cardio exercises and heavy
weight lifting. His training paid off as he took second place in the junior masters division.

"I could have trained a little harder in regards to the amount of weight and
exercises performed," said Martinez. "I was concerned with maintaining the size without
sacrificing definition during the diet phase."

Martinez said having a successful posing routine takes more than just flexing your
muscles.

"Being too smooth at show time can have an adverse affect in the way you look
on-stage," said Martinez. "Timing on maximizing your muscle density, definition and
conditioning is a vital factor in looking your best."

Many of the bodybuilders on the team are competition veterans; for Martinez it
was his first show—-but not his last.

"I'm glad I decided to compete. I learned quite a few tips as to how to prepare
and what it will take to remain competitive," said Martinez. "It's a tremendous feeling of
adrenaline that I look forward to feeling again in the near future. I definitely plan on
competing in September and more events later, but my goal is to be ready for the
Masters category [for 40-49 year olds] in another three years. These competitions will
undoubtedly give me an edge as to how to train, diet and most importantly how to
manage timing."

The eating lifestyle of a bodybuilder is a strict one, involving eating mass
amounts of protein from poultry and fish, fewer carbohydrates, less sugar, and eating
vegetables, rice, potatoes and oatmeal.

"My diet underwent some serious adjustments. No Burger King or McDonalds.
There was a lot of grilled+ chicken and sweet potatoes in their place," said Christopher Colson, motor transport, Headquarters and Service Company, 1st Tank Battalion.

Colson said he had a rough time training for the competition, but after a tough
pose-off with two other bodybuilders, Colson's hard work shined through, earning him
first place in his division.

"Going into the competition I didn't think I would do well at all. I started
[training] later than the other competitors, so I had to concentrate hard on my training. I
was trying to work through injuries and other personal obstacles too. When I won first
place, I was very excited," said Colson.

Colson attributes his success at the competition to the training and motivation he
received from the Combat Center bodybuilding team.

"Working with the bodybuilding team was the secret to my success. Team
members like Staff Sgt. Grady Newell, Staff Sgt. Robert Seals III, and CWO3 Stacey
Dixon made training worthwhile," said Colson.

Bodybuilding is a time-investment sport with endless hours spent in the gym and
traveling to competitions; Colson advises anyone interested in bodybuilding to not let
anything be a factor in stopping them from a lifestyle change.

"Don't let anything hold you back," said Colson. "I know being a Marine, Sailor
or even a [Department of Defense] employee takes up a lot of time, but if you are serious
about making a lifestyle change in the right direction, push forward and train hard."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200486195122/$file/BB5lowres.jpg

Christopher Colson, motor transport, Headquarters and Service Company, 1st Tank Battalion, (second from left), stands proud with his first place trophy at the International Natural Bodybuilding Association’s Southern California competition July 31. Six Combat Center bodybuilders competed in the event. Photo by: Cpl. Itzak Lefler

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/615DB40804D891D485256EE80077AC53?opendocument

Ellie