PDA

View Full Version : Military Police

Jimmy
08-08-04, 02:01 PM
Hello

I´m thinking of becoming a Police Officer after my time in the Marine Corps, so I´m just wondering if it will be easier for me to become a Police Officer if I was a Military Police in the Marine Corps?

Thanks

Jimmy

ftrmarinemp
08-11-04, 01:52 AM
Im shipping out on 6 Sept for boot and after MCT ill become an MP. I plan on doing atleast 20 but i asked my recruiter the same question, should i decide to get out sooner. He said that no matter what your MOS is in the military you are given the same amount of bonnus points on your police exam. They say you develop some bad habits as an MP but its not discouraged.

CAR
08-11-04, 04:31 PM
I'm in law enforcement now and I can tell you that the best things you get from the Corps are the things no training can teach( integrity, discipline, honesty, etc...). I was a grunt and many fellow jarheads are in my line of work now. I couldn't honestly say that because some were MP's they are now better cops. Really depends on you. Yes some MP's go to LEO and get some bad habits but so do regular grunts. MP's get quite a bit of "cop" training so when you do go to a dept for a PD job you may shine a bit better, won't get any more preference points but usually are treated more professionally than just a regular Joe of the street. In short, Marine on your resume is what helps. Any Marine is given more respect immediately than any other service regardless of thier MOS, not trying to be one sided but I've been to 3 academies, seen it happen at all.

If you want to be an MP go for it, but if you want to do something else don't feel you have to be an MP to be a cop later. Also think of what type of "cop" you want to be. Example - Guys who were in Force Recon gravitate toward SWAT teams. Do you want State, Local PD, Sheriff, Federal..???

Do what you feel will give you the most pleasure (legally :)). Enjoy your time in the Corps cause once your out, old and grey, you'll always have some great stories.

Sixguns
08-11-04, 05:01 PM
The fundamental train all Marines get will make you ideally suited for law enforcement, regardless of your MOS in the Corps. Just think of your MOS in the Marines as another career to explore should you not immediately gain a law enforcement position when you leave service. The fact is that many agencies higher veterans, some of which never had training like ours. Just know that you will have many options when you leave the Corps. Being an MP is not always the best road to travel while in service becuase our law enforcers (MPs and Brig Guards) are not always dealing with the wide variety of issues that civil enforcement agencies deal with. In fact, it is fair to say that you will get limited exposure to real police work as an MP. Remember, most MPs start out as gate guards and other assignments before they make the rank of Cpl. Just keep it in mind.

Sixguns