PDA

View Full Version : Me, joining the Marines

Kylep88
08-04-04, 08:52 PM
Me, Joining the Marines..
I'm sorry for posting this here, but I didn't know where else I could do it. I hope this show any disrespect for anyone on this site. If it does, im truly sorry.

I've wanted to join an armed force since the day I would play with plastic guns in my backyard, all by myself, pretending to lead a platoon of fully armed soldiers. When I found out about the Marines and that my grandfather was a Marine, I knew where I wanted to go. To the Marine Corps. When my mom heard about my plans she wasnt to excited. But ever since my mom went up to my EX-Marine grandfather, (Last name is Bliss), and said my son wants to go the Marine Corps and be a grunt just like you were. He replied," Kyle, i've always been proud of you for everything you've done, but just hearing you say that makes me even more proud.

I mean im a very Patriotic person. I play many sports including baseball, football, and basketball and I am a pretty goos student. A's and B's but one C in Art, caz I cant draw .

I really want to join the marines but the only thing that worries me is the training. I'm not sure if I can make it. I mean im pretty well fit, but that means nothing when a drill instructor yells at you.(or so i've heard) I need some advice from Marines, such as you guys. Please help me with this..
Thanks in advance

Blake
08-04-04, 11:29 PM
I wish I could help you out but this is obviously a better question for a Marine. However, from a poole standpoint I can say it's very normal to worry about bootcamp, especially as it draws closer... you try not to let it get to you though. The more I work out and run the more and more I look forward to bootcamp....yea it's gonna suck and I'll be scared to death a couple of days before going but I am totally pysced! If your not scared your crazy...but you can be scared and excited at the same time. I think that's the attitude you should have, hopefully I graduate a Marine so I can further explain that point.

Pel
08-04-04, 11:32 PM
Hmmm once a Marine always a Marine there are no Ex-Marines... Im not a Marine yet though I hope to earn the title, Go see your recruiter. How old are you? If you have plenty of time start hitting up the poolee meetings, get a run time of 23 min for 3 miles, work for more than 100 crunchs in 2 min, 15 pull ups min before recruit training. Since I dont ship tell 20050711 I can only dream what a DI can be like... er nightmare... Dont ever let someone tell you you cant do something because your too weak. Join for the right reasons... The Challenge... The pride of belonging... Pride in your country. Ive been told that if you want to be a Marine... That if you want it bad enough... nothing will stop you... at least mentaly.

pel

ramy
08-05-04, 12:06 AM
Pel is right. Kylep88, you are still 15 so I think its natuaral to be scared and worried about boot. Just take care of school, stay out of trouble, workout a bit and everything should be fine.
Good luck

Poolee08/09
08-05-04, 11:26 AM
Im laving for bootcamp monday aug 9 3 days. The yelling isnt really anything to worry about, its just to make you a better Marine. As Blake said a Marine can answer this from first hand experience. Me ill have my experience very soon. And blak, with just afew more days left i am scared to death, but i dont knwo of what all i know is im going to stay 100% motivated and dedicated you should do the same

Namvet67
08-05-04, 11:39 AM
kylep88....Your Grandfather would not appreciate you calling him a ex-Marine...There are some ex-Marines out there but I would have to start a new thread to explain this one. Wanting to become a Marine is more of a mental thing...You have to live and breath "I want to be a Marine". Time will tell...you will see things different in a few years. Keep asking your questions and follow your heart. Good luck

Toby M
08-05-04, 02:48 PM
As a former Marine, I can honestly say I don't recall being yelled at by my D.I.'s. I think they all just talked loud. Some of us were a little harder to train so they had to speak up. Some even went so far as to hold our hands and help us excercise! I enjoyed bootcamp and would do it all over again! Matter-of-fact, I almost got that chance. If I hadn't been forced to go to motivation platoon that Sunday, I would have done anoth 13 weeks or so...

Kylep88
08-06-04, 02:21 PM
Guys I didnt mean to disrespect any of you guys or my Grandfather, what I meant was someone that was not in the Marines anymore, I won't use that term anymore because know I know, Once A Marine, Always A Marine.

CAR
08-06-04, 10:31 PM
Kylep88,
Take it as constructive criticism, They guys here are thick skinned.

First off, you have to believe in yourself more than anything else. Part of the challenge is that it IS tough, physically and more mentally. That's the challenge, not simply if you can do 20 pullups while some one speaks "loudly" at you. What you prove to yourself is that you will be there for your bother and his challenge is to not let you down, that is how you bond and make it through as a team.

If you never meet a challenge, how will you know your worth.

Gods speed and following seas ( you'll understand it someday)

Pel
08-06-04, 10:51 PM
"Come on, you sons of *****es! Do you want to live forever?" -GySgt. DANIEL DALY, USMC