PDA

View Full Version : Viking named Aviator of Year

thedrifter
08-03-04, 06:35 AM
Viking named Aviator of Year
Submitted by: MCAS Iwakuni
Story Identification #: 2004832911
Story by Lance Cpl. Lydia Davey

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION IWAKUNI, Japan (July 30, 2004) -- Maj. Matthew C. Shortal, pilot training officer for Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 225 was recently selected to receive the 2004 Alfred A. Cunningham Marine Aviator of the Year Award.

The award was established by the First Marine Aviation Force Veteran's Association in memory of A. A. Cunningham, the first Marine Aviator.

"I'm humbled," said Shortal. "There are a lot of deserving people out there. I think it's a reflection of my squadron and the reputation we've established over the past couple of years."

Shortal credits his Weapons System Operator Maj. Anthony Bolden, VMFA(AW)-225, and his past peers and instructors at Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 232 and Marine Fighter Attack Training Squadron 101 for his success.

The Aviator of the Year Award is presented "in recognition of the most outstanding contribution made to Marine aviation, whether in combat, research and development, weapons employment, or to overall Marine aviation, by an individual in Marine aviation," states www.flymcaa.org, the Marine Corps Aviation Association's official Web site.

Recipients of the award include well-known aviators such as Lt. Col. John H. Glenn Jr.
Aviation has long been a part of Shortal's life, he said.

"My dad was an F-4 Phantom pilot, so I grew up around military aviation," noted the Chicago native. "I remember going as a kid to see the Blue Angels."

Shortal received notification of his selection for the A.A. Cunningham award July 9th. But that date was special for another reason too - Shortal was offered a place with the select group of pilots he had watched as a child.

"These two totally unrelated events both happened on the same day," said Shortal. "I'm very, very excited at the prospect of acting as the Marine Corps F/A-18 representative for the [Blue Angels] team."

Thirty-six combat missions and training at the Naval Fighter Weapons School- "TOPGUN," and the MAWTS-1 Weapons and Tactics Instructor Course have been instrumental in preparing Shortal for the position.

"It's a big honor to represent the Marine Corps and to get the opportunity to help recruit Navy and Marine Corps personnel," noted Shortal. "We'll also showcase naval aviation not only to America, but to the world. Approximately 15 million people each year see the Blue Angels perform."

After his tour with the Blue Angels, Shortal hopes to focus on his family and enjoying life at a slower pace.

Shortal has accumulated more than 2,200 flight hours.

His decorations include the Strike/Flight Air Medal with numeral three and combat "V", Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal with combat "V," Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal with gold star in lieu of second award, National Defense Medal with bronze star in lieu of second award, Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Korean Defense Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon with bronze star in lieu of second award, and several unit awards.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/20048323043/$file/aviatorl.jpg

Maj. Matthew C. Shortal, pilot training officer for Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 225, was selected for the Alfred A. Cunningham Marine Aviator of the Year Award.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Brian Henner

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/BA0DD9740C943A8A85256EE50021CCDD?opendocument

Ellie