PDA

View Full Version : daughter about to sign up

texdad
08-02-04, 10:20 AM
Hi,
My 17y/o daughter wants to sign up in the delayed entry program. She ia a great daughter, never caused any trouble, makes good grades and is totally trustworthy and responsible. My questions are:
1) I know she would be an asset to the corps but what can the corp do for her?
2) Can you trust the recruiter?
Thanks,
A Texas Dad

CAS3
08-02-04, 10:56 AM
Texas Dad,
There are many benefits of being a UNITED STATES MARINE. First, the Title, honor and pride of being a success. Every Marine is trained as a rifleman first and has a secondary "job". She could be almost anything except infantry. She will be trained to do her job and most can find employment after the Corps in the field they had been working in. If, not, there are advantages of being a veteran (school is one of them).
As for her recruiter, I can not judge. I had a great one. She did not lie to me at all. I worked for Sixguns and I know he is trustworthy. The best way to find out is to research on your own. Go to the recruiter with her and ask him questions.
Best Wishes,
CAS

fulmetaljackass
08-02-04, 12:09 PM
texdad,

What's your location?

HardJedi
08-02-04, 01:56 PM
ummm WTF??????? what happened to the OTHER thread that was the EXACT SAME?

texdad
08-02-04, 02:28 PM
We're located in Kingwood,TX (Houston)

thedrifter
08-02-04, 02:38 PM
It's still around....HardJedi....He just wanted to have his question...answered......

Welcome Aboard.......texdad
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16024

Ellie

HardJedi
08-02-04, 02:58 PM
AHH! ok. then here is the same answer! LOL

Well, and this is coming from someone who's best friend served as a recruiter for awhile.

They will tell you the truth. IF YOU ASK THE RIGHT QUESTIONS! A Marine recruiter will not outright LIE to you, but that doesn't mean they are going to tell you the ENTIRE truth either. Let's face it, they are given certain numbers to hit, and hit them they must.

As for what can your daughter get out of the USMC? How about a sense of accomplishment that she cannot get ANYWHERE else. Pride in knowing she has belonged to one of the most elite orginizations in the world. Pride at knowing that she actually EARNED her rights as a United States citezen, instead of just taking what is given. Friendships that can last a lifetime. A family of Brothers and Sisters who will go out of their way to help her, even YEARS after she has left active duty?

if that ain't enough, then I just don't know what else one can hope to gain

enviro
08-02-04, 03:18 PM
There are so many intangible and tangible benefits to being a Marine, it would take a month or so and a lot of webspace to list them all here.

However, like anything, you get out of it what you put in to it. You're daughter can go and do the absolute minimum and she will get back the absolute minimum. Nothing is handed to you in the Marine Corps. You have to earn everything, including the title Marine.

From day one at Army boot camp, you are called soldier or Private. Day one in the Marine Corps, you are absolutely nothing. The drill instructors will take EVERYTHING about your daughter away from her - and 80 other recruits with her. Some came from the ghetto, some came from rich parents. Some were smart, some, not so smart. Some think their tough, some wish they were tough. The point is, all of that gets in the way. The Drill Instructors take it away from everyone and give back to them skills and attributes that will make them a Marine.

Many parents have asked me if I think their kid will make it through boot camp. They have doubts about their "toughness" or ability to take orders. It's like this: if your daughter doesn't threaten to commit suicide or just flat out sit down and refuse to move, she'll make it. It's not that they shuffle everyone through whether they deserve it or not, it's that the Drill Instructors have 79 training days to make a Marine. They will do it or your daughter will stay there until it's done. No matter what, she'll have to earn it.

As for benefits, if she's joining for college money, to get out of a small town, has nothing better to do, etc.. then she should join one of the other service branches. If she thinks she has what it takes to become a Marine, and earn a title that is forever, then the Marines is for her.

All service branches have the same benefits. Some service branches have a few more jobs to choose from. Some service branches have a few more duty stations to go to. But, there is only one Marine Corps.

As for her recruiter, he'll be like any other salesman trying to get a product sold. The only difference, is his product is worth buying. You still have ask questions and keep an open mind. The military is not a utopia of benefits and privledges. It will be the hardest thing she ever does. She'll cherish boot camp graduation more than high school graduation. She'll cherish a promotion more than a new car. And she'll see things and do things that few will ever experience - some good, some great, some bad, and some absolutely horrific. A recruiter will not outright lie to her. He will not guarantee anything. Some things, she'll have to learn on her own. No, a lot of things she will have to learn on her own.

If she's truly ready to become a part of the warrior class and be a role model for the world, then support her 100%. The decision to become a Marine cannot be made lightly.

Semper Fidelis

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

texdad
08-02-04, 04:04 PM
Thanks Enviro for elaborating about this issue. Your feedback is really helpful and greatly appreciated.
Hope you and your neighbors dry out soon.
TexDad

CMyr
08-02-04, 11:36 PM
One of the things your daughter would learn are leadership skills which cannot be learned anywhere else.

Marines work as a team. Marines do not recognize the word "can't" when it comes to accomplishing their task. This may sometimes require experiencing training outside of your assigned MOS or job, so Marines have to be flexible and adaptable; always willing to learn something new.

In the Marines the only dumb question is the question not asked. This lends to the teamwork concept of everyone else knowing what everyone else is capable of doing.

As for the recruiter, if the recruiter is not a Woman Marine, ask if one may be made available to talk to. Make a list of questions to ask the recruiter as you think of them. Discuss the different types of jobs your daughter is eligible for.

If your daughter has her heart set on a certain job, the delayed entry program doesn't need to be a whole year - ask questions, decide on an MOS (job), then enter the delayed entry program for that job.

Hope this helps you out some.