PDA

View Full Version : Lieutenant Vincent R. Capodanno

thedrifter
08-02-04, 10:00 AM
Lieutenant Vincent R. Capodanno

The Grunt Padre

http://images6.fotki.com/v94/photos/1/133612/1186095/athercapodanno_profileinhelmet-vi.jpg

Vincent Capodanno was born on February 13th, 1929, in Staten Island, New York. After attending a year at Fordham University, young Vincent Capodanno entered the Maryknoll Missionary seminary in upstate New York in 1949. The Maryknolls were well known for sending American missionaries overseas--especially to China and Korea.

As the communists overran China, many Maryknoll priests and bishops were imprisoned and tortured. When Capodanno finished the seminary, he was ordained a priest and received his bachelor's degree in religious instruction.

Father Capodanno's first assignment was with aboriginal Taiwanese in the mountains of Taiwan where he served in a parish and later in a school. After seven years, Father Capodanno returned to the United States for leave and then was assigned to a Maryknoll school in Hong Kong.

Looking for a different challenge, Father Capodanno requested a new assignment--as a United States Navy Chaplain serving with the U.S. Marines. After finishing officer candidate's school, Father Capodanno reported to the 7th Marines, in Vietnam, in 1966. When his tour was complete, he requested an extension, served in the naval hospital and then reported to the 5th Marines.

He gained a reputation for always being there--for always taking care of his Marines.

At 4:30 am, September 4th, 1967 , in the Thang Binh District of the Que-Son Valley, elements of the 1st Battalion, 5th Marines found the large North Vietnamese Unit, approx. 2500 men, near the village of Dong Son. Operation Swift was underway. The out-numbered and disorganized Company D was in need of reinforcements. By 9:14 am, twenty-six Marines were confirmed dead. The situation was in doubt and another Company of Marines was committed to the battle. At 9:25 am, the 1st Battalion 5th Marine Commander requested assistance of two company's of the 3rd Battalion 5th Marines, "M"and "K" Company.

During those early hours, Chaplain Capodanno received word of the battle taking place. He sat in on the morning briefing at the 3rd Battalion's Combat Operations Center. He took notes and listened to the radio reports coming in. As the elements of Company "M" and "K" prepared to load the helicopters. "Fr.Vince" requested to go with them. His Marines needed him. "It's not going to be easy" he stated.

As Company "M" approached the small village of Chau Lam, the North Vietnamese opened up on the 2nd Platoon, which was caught on a small knoll, out in the open. The fighting was fierce, hand to hand at times, and the platoon was in danger of being overrun. Father Capodanno went among the wounded and dying, giving last rites and taking care of his Marines. Wounded once in the face and suffering another wound that almost severed his hand, Father Capodanno moved to help a wounded corpsman only yards from an enemy machinegun. Father Capodanno died taking care of one of his men.

Father Capodanno's inspiration and dedication to "his" Marines goes much further. His story continues to touch many lives even today.

In 1971, Father Capodanno received the Medal of Honor in recognition of his selfless sacrifice. Several chapels and a United States Navy fast frigate were named in his honor.

http://images6.fotki.com/v92/photos/1/133612/1186095/fathercapodanno_vietnamincamp-vi.jpg

http://images6.fotki.com/v94/photos/1/133612/1186095/NavChaplain-vi.jpg

Fr. Capodanno leading field prayer service for the Marines of 1st Battalion, 7th Marines (1/7) in the Muo Douc area, Vietnam, 9/11/66

Rank and organization: Lieutenant. U.S. Navy. Chaplain Corps. 3d Battalion, 5th (Marines, 1st Marine Division (Rein). FMF

Place and date: Quang Tin Province, Republic of Vietnam, 4 September 1967

Entered service at: Staten Island, New York

Born: 13 February 1929, Staten Island, New York

Citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Chaplain of the 3d Battalion, in connection with operations against enemy forces. In response to reports that the 2d Platoon of M Company was in danger of being overrun by a massed enemy assaulting force, Lt. Capodanno left the relative safety of the company command post and ran through an open area raked with fire, directly to the beleaguered platoon. Disregarding the intense enemy small-arms, automatic-weapons, and mortar fire, he moved about the battlefield administering last rites to the dying and giving medical aid to the wounded.

When an exploding mortar round inflicted painful multiple wounds to his arms and legs, and severed a portion of his right hand, he steadfastly refused all medical aid. Instead, he directed the corpsmen to help their wounded comrades, and, with calm vigor, continued to move about the battlefield as he provided encouragement by voice and example to the valiant Marines. Upon encountering a wounded corpsman in the direct line of fire of an enemy machine gunner positioned approximately 15 yards away, Lt. Capodanno rushed in a daring attempt to aid and assist the mortally wounded corpsman. At that instant, only inches from his goal, he was struck down by a burst of machine gun fire. By his heroic conduct on the battlefield, and his inspiring example, Lt. Capodanno upheld the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the cause of freedom.

Among the 58,000 names on the Vietnam Memorial in Washington, D.C. is the name of a Maryknoll Missionary Priest, Fr. Vincent Capodanno, one of seven chaplains killed in the Vietnam War. They called him " The Grunt Padre " because he so completely associated himself with the struggles, fears, doubts and hopes of the mostly young Marines, "The Grunts", he served.

He was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions on Sept. 4, 1967.

"Last Evening With The Grunt Padre"

Pete Morales H&S 3/5 "The evening of Sept 3, 1967, I was sorting H&S Company mail. I had mail for Comm. 1st Sgt. Smith, Commanding Officer, and for Chaplain (Father) Capodanno. I went delivering mail on Hill 63. When I got to the 1st Sgt. and Lt. Col. Tent, then I was given an order to give to Father Capodanno that the Main Group wasn't moving out the following morning because the line companies were going to meet heavy enemy resistance, and the main H&S Co. Body (called Group) was going to move out later when it was safer to make an H&S Base Camp for Supplies.

I got to Father Capodanno's Sleeping Quarters, greeted him, and gave him his mail. Told him what the Lt. Col. and 1st Sgt. asked me to tell him about H&S Co. (Group) wasn't moving out early the following morning. He said "Fine," but he did mention that his fellow Marines needed him in the time of pain, sorrow and dying. He did mention that he was getting short, he meant his tour of duty in Viet Nam was coming to an end, was going to return to CONUS (State side), but was planning to extend for six more months, and stay with his Marines that needed him so much. He said that he loved his Marines, then I wished him a good night, and returned to my Hootch to hit the sack.

The following afternoon, way after I finished daily diary, we got word at H&S Co. office tent that Father Capodanno was KIA (Killed In Action). I couldn't believe what I heard, and immediately I went to his Hootch (his tent), and he wasn't there, nor his Pack that he carried with him. Then reality hit me that the message was true.

That was one of my saddest days in Viet Nam for me. In War, you don't have time to grieve, or shed a tear. Father Capodanno died with no mass, or paying our respects, life goes on. But when you're young, and don't understand life or what people tell you, sometimes you don't understand until many years later. That evening Sept 3, 1967, when Father Capodanno told me he needed to be with his Marines in their time of need, he really meant that he planned to actually go out with the line Companies that following morning. May God Bless him for his Actions.

continued.............

thedrifter
08-02-04, 10:03 AM
http://images6.fotki.com/v93/photos/1/133612/1186095/book-vi.jpg

"The first known chapel honoring Fr. Capodanno is one that he helped build for his men ( Father Vincent is standing on the left in this photo ). It is constructed of thatched palms and bamboo with no walls and located on Hill 51 in the Que Son Valley. It was dedicated in 1967 shortly after he was killed."

http://images6.fotki.com/v94/photos/1/133612/1186095/vietnam_capodannochapel2-vi.jpg

Capodanno Chapel - Que Son Valley, VietNam

http://images6.fotki.com/v95/photos/1/133612/1186095/fathercapodanno_chaplainoath-vi.jpg

Ellie