PDA

View Full Version : Marines go back to 6th Grade

thedrifter
08-02-04, 05:51 AM
Marines go back to 6th Grade
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 20047221510
Story by Lance Cpl. Joel Abshier

NAGO, OKINAWA, Japan — (July 14, 2004) -- A Marine hits his opponent with a ball, bewildering him like a deer caught in headlights. He smiles because of his victory even though his opponent is half his size.

Ten volunteers with 9th Engineer Support Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group, played dodgeball against more than 120 sixth-grade Iha Elementary School students here July 14.

“Experiencing an activity like dodgeball with the Okinawan children is a great way to develop a relationship with the surrounding community,” said Lt. Steven T. Orren, 9th ESB chaplain. “The servicemembers of 9th ESB visit the school about two times a month.”

Before the challenge began, three students stood in the front of the gym and led the servicemembers in stretching exercises.

With a microphone in hand, one of the students counted repetitions in English, and the participants in the gym repeated the number in unison.

“The kids were excited even though they could only speak a few English words,” said Megumi Koki Smith, sixth-grade English teacher. “The children understood the Marines’ English enough to know that the Marines had a good time.”

The match began like a basketball game. Two of the tallest players from each team jumped to reach the ball that was tossed into the air by a referee standing between them.

“Because I towered over the students, it was no surprise that I would be jumping for the ball,” said Pfc. Mathew E. Ward, engineer assistant. “It was, however, hard to jump for the ball wearing socks on a polished, hardwood floor.”

Two games were played consecutively, giving every student the chance to play against the servicemembers.

“At first, I thought we would destroy the kids at dodgeball,” Ward said with a smile. “However, the students were small targets and very quick, which made it difficult to get them out of the game.”

The scores of the game were not important because the purpose of the event was to have a good time, Smith explained.

“We had an extremely good time,” said Ward. “I am looking forward to visiting the school again when another trip arises.”

Before the Marines began to visit the school, the students did not have extensive knowledge about Americans but, because the servicemembers visit a lot, the children have grown fond of the Marines, Smith said.

“It makes me happy when they come to our school,” said sixth-grader Kazusa Yamashiro. “I like the Marines because they are always smiling.”

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200472215221/$file/Release0351-2004-03low.jpg

NAGO, OKINAWA, Japan – Pfc. Mathew E. Ward winds up before throwing the ball toward his opponent during a dodgeball match here July 14. Ward, an engineer assistant, and nine other volunteers from 9th Engineer Support Battalion, 3rd Force Service Support Group, played dodgeball against more than 120 sixth-grade Iha Elementary School students. Photo by: Lance Cpl. Joel Abshier

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/C2508807B09E91E085256ED9002022B5?opendocument

Ellie