PDA

View Full Version : Officer or?

reg
07-31-04, 03:19 PM
I've come to an important crossroads and I'd like some input.

Recently I've had somewhat of a falling out with College. I see the end, I see what I could become (my grades are pretty good and I've done some intern-work already), but it just isn't appealing. Just last night I was looking over some paperwork I requested from the Corps a while back, and I tripped upon the "Few Have The Mettle" book. I realized I can fall under the category where I take one summer (this would be '05 for me) for 6 weeks, then another summer afterwards and then be an officer. This may not sound like much to alot of people but...the only thing that I could think that would be as good as being a Marine would be to be an officer in the Marine Corps.

I guess I have two basic questions -- 1.) Will the experience be similar or an improvement over what I would experience at regular boot?

2.) What do officers "do"? Will I be pushing papers or will I be in the field, or is that more at my discretion?

Any help would be appreciated...my headstrong youth wants me to just go to boot but the logic side of me says to use that drive and get through the 4 years and be an officer. I'm going to be seeing my recruiter at the beginning of the week to inquire, but I'd like your input.

MillRatUSMC
07-31-04, 03:31 PM
The MOS or Military Occupation Speciality is the deciding factor of what you will be doing in the Marine Corps
Unless you ask for a 0300 assignment, which is the infantry MOS in the Marine Corps
You will have to go through OCS before the Basic School to become an Officer of Marines.
Maybe some of the Officers on this site might give you better information of what it takes to become a Officer of Marines...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

matt-m
07-31-04, 03:35 PM
Check this site out.... www.marineocs.com

Good luck!

HardJedi
07-31-04, 06:11 PM
how do you mean "improvement" over regular boot? what? like you want better food or something? :)

CAPTZURLO
08-11-04, 06:04 PM
I just got done with the first six week increment of the PLC Program. My rackmate is a PFC in the Reserves and what he told me was that OCS is more physical than Recruit Training. Don't get me wrong they're both demanding but just by different aspects. For instance, he said that when he did Recruit Training, he said that they ran the Obstacle Course once when he was there, but at OCS we did it at least three times one morning for PT.

CAR
08-11-04, 07:08 PM
OCS is a bit more demanding on the physical side- running and all. But Boot is tough. Think of it, it would be pretty bad if a new LT got to the field and was not able to keep up with troops. <br />

jryanjack
08-12-04, 06:53 AM
Having never been to or taught at OCS, I have no real frame of reference. I have heard that OCS is more physical then boot camp, however, from having gone to boot camp, I can tell you that boot camp is very physical as well.

As to your roommate's observation that he only went through the O-Course once in boot camp, things must have changed, when I went through I know that we went through it on several days, each day we would go through the course multiple times, and I do not recall going through the O-Course being considered that day's PT. I think that we only went thorugh the confidence course 1 or 2 times though, maybe that's what he was referring to.

As to the decision on whether to be a Marine Officer or go the enlisted route - I think that decision lies with each individual. For me, I am proud to be a Marine NCO and agree with Dan Daly's statement that "Any officer can get by on his Sergeants, but to be a Sergeant you have to know your ****."

Toby M
08-12-04, 09:09 AM
reg: if you can't hack college, don't try being an officer in the Marines. I'd hate to see anything but the best leading the best! My advise would be to finish college then go thru enlisted boot camp. This will test all your abilities and desires...Then and only then will you know deep with-in you, if you have what it takes to lead Marines. Good luck in your decision.

hrscowboy
08-12-04, 11:21 PM
i had more respect for the warrent officers than i did the officers in general in the Marine corps. The warrant officers usually came up through the ranks and diffently new there stuff...

jdewiii
08-21-04, 11:59 AM
Reg: Just got back yesterday from my first increment of PLC Juniors at Quantico. Having gone through boot 30 Dec.-26 Mar 2004 and OCS, what you experience at boot and OCS are different because they have different missions. However, definitely having been to boot camp before OCS gave me an edge over those who have not been or already earned the title. As for what officers do, I don't have that much of an idea on the whole as I'm a Pfc. If you have any further questions, keep throwing them out there.