PDA

View Full Version : Branson plans huge week to 'welcome back' Vietnam War veterans

thedrifter
07-29-04, 07:14 AM
Branson plans huge week to 'welcome back' Vietnam War veterans

7/21/04

It could be the entertainment town's biggest draw ever.

By: Tim Tialdo, KY3 News

BRANSON, Mo. -- An idea of two Vietnam War veterans could turn into the largest event in this entertainment city’s history. At a news conference on Wednesday, planners said they think 100,000 veterans plus their families could come here for a once-in-a-lifetime event next June to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the end of the war.

Branson is no stranger to saluting veterans of military service. Each November for several years, nearly 150,000 people -- veterans and their families -- have met here around Veterans Day. They go to shows, ride in parades and attend reunions and other events.

Two Vietnam War veterans who recently visited Branson realized their fellow soldiers may be missing out. Their thinking led to plans for a big national homecoming to honor Vietnam veterans.

Many Vietnam veterans feel like they were given a true welcome home when they returned from the war because so many Americans thought government leaders shouldn’t have sent troops to Southeast Asia. Branson leaders want to change that feeling. Businessman and former presidential candidate Ross Perot of Texas, after hearing about the idea, provided the startup funding for the project.

“I think it's time for people to welcome home the Vietnam veterans. They've tried in different ways but not of the magnitude they're doing here,” said John Davis, one of the Vietnam veterans who sparked the idea.

The tribute is called Operation Homecoming USA and some of the biggest and best talent in the country is on the agenda.

“We think that Mel Gibson will be presenting an award and will be participating in the event,” said Fred Ashman, the executive producer of the event.

Comedians Jay Leno and Bill Cosby and power music couple Faith Hill and Tim McGraw are some of the better-known acts that could appear. However, what separates this homecoming from others that have been attempted is, very simply, Branson has the power to make it all happen.

“So far, everybody we've talked to wants to do it and, if they're available, are willing to work with us on cost because they feel it's the right thing to do,” said Ashman.

“I come down here, I try to be down here as much as I possibly can because of the way veterans are treated in this area,” said Davis.

And that treatment will be backed up with a week full of festivities, not only to honor but also to entertain the veterans with acts from their era.

“I'm honored to be able to be here next year to welcome not only him but all the people who fought in Vietnam,” said William Lee Golden, a member of the Oak Ridge Boys singing group.

The National Homecoming for Vietnam Veterans will be June 13-19, 2005.

http://www.ky3.com/newsimages/vietnamwar.jpg

http://www.ky3.com/newsdetailed.asp?id=6508

Ellie