PDA

View Full Version : Beirut Memorial Annual Observance

thedrifter
09-30-02, 11:38 AM
Date: 991023

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Few events in recent history have been so cataclysmic that they have permanently scarred our Nation's psyche. The ones that have, have etched in our minds an image that we will carry forever: the fiery explosion of the space shuttle Challenger; the startled look on President Reagan's face after a would-be assassin shot him; the defiant glare of the East German soldier who stood by, powerless, as the Berlin Wall fell down around him. These were some of the episodes that kept American's glued to their television sets. We watched, numb with disbelief, trying to understand the enormity of the occurrence. Those images became our shared memory as a Nation.

Another such event emblazoned in our minds is the terrorist attack that destroyed BLT 1/8's headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon. This event stunned the country. It chilled our souls and wounded our hearts. Our anguish was all the more intense because the tragedy affected us directly and personally. The unthinkable had occurred. It had happened to our families, our community, and to our Corps. On that Sunday morning sixteen years ago, a single terrorist bomb killed 241 Marines, Sailors and Soldiers. For Marines, the 220 deaths were the greatest loss of life in a single day since 19 February 1945, D-Day on Iwo Jima. And it all happened so quickly.

At 6:22 A.M., a suicidal terrorist driving a truck loaded with explosives broke through three barriers, then crashed into the building detonating his cargo. The entire sequence took about six seconds. The FBI estimated that the explosive force of that single bomb was greater than 12,000 pounds of TNT. By comparison the explosion that destroyed the federal building in Oklahoma City was the equivalent of 4,000 pounds of TNT. The damage to the BLT building was absolute and catastrophic.

Amidst the chaos and confusion many had the presence of mind to wave away the shock and start rescuing their friends. These initial rescue efforts were conducted by some of those who survived the blast. There was the case of LCpl Dan Gaffney who, after realizing what had occurred, began digging through the rubble with his bare hands trying to free those calling for help. There was also Corporal Galen Weber who, while dazed from the blast, helped the engineers begin clearing a path to the nearest road to facilitate access to the blast area. There were also the actions of Lt. Gill Bigelow, a dentist by training, who ran from man to man stabilizing the shocked victims. As one of the first medical officers on the scene, he was instrumental in saving lives. There were many others, heroes all, who set their fears aside and began a frantic effort to save their wounded comrades.

I relay these events for the benefit of the young people I see here. Some may have been too young to remember. Others may have been too removed to fully appreciate the impact of these events on our Corps and our community. For them, this will put into context the reason that we are gathered here this morning: to honor the memories and celebrate the contributions of the brave men who died in Beirut while serving our country. By this annual remembrance we show our appreciation for their service. ...We also ensure that we never, never forget their sacrifices.

It was on 11 May 1983 that the 24th Marine Amphibious Unit embarked upon its ships at Moorehead City and headed toward the Mediterranean. The 2,200 Marines and sailors from BLT 1/8, HMM-162, and MSSG-24 headed to Beirut to conduct their mission of presence. As the inscription on this beautiful monument indicates, our servicemen "came in peace." We were not there as an occupation force to impose our will upon a sovereign Nation. We were in Beirut because the Lebanese Government had asked for our help. They could not contain the warring factions. Lawlessness and disorder were rampant. They saw their country slipping further into total anarchy; they saw the United States, and her Marines and Sailors, as their saviors. We truly did come in peace. To do what Marines have done for 224 years: to protect the rights of the innocent and advance the interest of freedom.

Conducting such missions carries a certain risk. But then again our profession is a dangerous one, and we all recognize that reality. Fortunately, the men and women who volunteer for our Corps, and those who serve alongside us, are selfless, devoted, patriotic Americans. They will willingly go into harm's way to defend our way of life and carry out their duty. This is what Americans have done since the birth of our Nation. We guarantee our own freedom by helping others attain theirs and enjoy its attendant liberties.

This is exactly what your sons and loved ones were doing in Beirut. While they were there, the men of the 24th Marine Amphibious Unit were subjected to sporadic, then regular shelling from the factions in the hills. But through it all they continued their mission. In the face of adversity they performed rescue and evacuation operations of Muslims and Christians alike. Marines were there as neutral participants to help keep the peace.

The dangers that underlie these peacekeeping operations are subtle. While the hazards are not as clear as they are in combat operations, the perils are still present. This is what makes keeping the peace sometimes harder than fighting a war. Our Nation recognized this. It is why our well-trained Marines were dispatched to handle that thorny situation. Unfortunately, as the poet Marianne Moore reminds us, we can never have peace without sorrow. The date 23 October 1983 will forever remind us of this truth.

The pain of the tragedy reverberated throughout America. And nowhere was that more evident than in this very community of Jacksonville. The people of Jacksonville shared the pain and anguish that our families suffered. The outpouring of emotion and support from the wonderful citizens of this community helped our families through the crisis. This tragedy served to further strengthen the bonds between our Corps and our neighbors. The city mourned her adopted sons as somberly as their actual families. We will always be grateful for all you've done, especially your untiring efforts to preserve their memory through this beautiful memorial and the trees that line Lejeune Boulevard. You have helped us ensure that they and their sacrifices will never be forgotten. I thank you, Mayor Jones, and all your wonderful citizens for your faithfulness and fidelity.

Out of the tragedy also came lessons. We improved our force protection measures and now our Marines remain ever vigilant to the perils inherent in these missions. We have also strengthened the family support structure to ensure that our families' needs are met when such tragedies strike. I learned from Ms. Debbie Norfleet, the widow of Sergeant Richard Blankenship, how that structure helped her and her then three-year-old son cope with the tragedy. Marine families donated groceries, serviced her car, delivered food, and did the countless other little things that we take for granted but are essential. The structure we had in place was helpful then, but it is even stronger now.

It is difficult to reconcile the political outcome with our tragic loss. The best we can do is take comfort in the fact that these men did not die in vain. We are certain that their service there made a difference. Their presence gave hope to the good citizens who wanted peace and not war. We know that their presence allayed the fears of the people of Lebanon. So long as the men of the 24th MAU were around, the children of that country could hope and dream.

To the Marines who served in Beirut I say this: you did your duty. And you did it well. I know it. Our families know it. America knows it. Despite our tragic loss, your mission to Beirut was a military success. You performed your duties magnificently-exactly as the Nation expected from her Marines.

We will continue advancing the cause of liberty and ushering the thirsty to the fountain of freedom. This is what the world expects of Marines. This is the noble cause that we advance. Despite the dangers, hardships, or problems, Marines will eagerly carry out their duty. I am certain beyond a doubt that given the circumstances, each of the men who we honor today, would return to Beirut to carry out his mission. We do what's right. We would want to be there. No American serviceman would have it any other way.

continued..........

thedrifter
09-30-02, 11:39 AM
I recently learned of a Marine whose duty it was to drive our fallen warriors back to Camp Lejeune from Cherry Point. She said that assignment was her toughest experience in the Marine Corps. Driving in the procession that brought our Marines and Sailors home was overwhelming and emotionally fatiguing. She vividly recalls how, over the entire thirty or so miles, the road was lined with people. Many were holding black and yellow ribbons. The men held their hats over their hearts. Some stood at the position of attention, and others saluted. No one spoke. The crowds just looked, slowly turning their heads as each vehicle passed. Mothers, fathers, teachers, firemen, children-all somberly gazed at the procession with reverence and wonder. She drove in silence, as if in a dream, and fought back the tears. Her sorrow grew deeper the closer she got to the base. Upon arrival she broke down and cried. Her weeping had a cathartic effect and in her own way she found closure. For her it was
arriving in Onslow County and passing through the main gate. That's when she was satisfied that our heroes had come home.

On that black day in our Corps, fanatical terrorists took our sons, fathers, and husbands, depriving them and us of dreams yet unfulfilled. But they did not take their spirit. Each of those brave and heroic Americans is still with us-in our memories and in our hearts. And they will be with us forever. No terrorist's bomb can kill the Marine spirit. This just won't happen. We will continue to be there for you, our Marines, your families and our community. And as long as there is a Marine Corps, our Beirut veterans will be remembered. May God bless you, and Semper Fidelis.

BeirutMarine1
10-01-02, 07:37 PM
Its a great honor to read the words you have posted my friend.

For over 19 years the men who served in Beirut were largely forgotten by the general public who when asked about the Marines in Beirut said "Beirut? where's that?" I thank you for telling our story.

Its October and so begins the 19th October since 1983. I don't like October any more. As a matter of fact I hate October. I can still remember the day I got the news my brothers had fallen. We were on our way to Grenada with 2/8. After Grenada we had a long week or two before we got to Beirut. I can tell you now that revenge was foremost on our minds.

When the leaves fall and the trees change color, think of the young United States Marines who gave the ultimate sacrifice for the Country they loved.

If I did'nt post it before here it is again.... A candlelight service will be held at the Beirut memorial at Camp Johnson on 10/23/02. The service will commence at 0600. Candles will be provided and the names of each individual on the wall will be spoken. The ceremony normally runs until 0620 hrs when a moment of silence is observed. (note) this is taken from the BEIRUT VETERANS OF AMERICA newsletter... if you have the chance to attend please do I have, it is a VERY MOVING experiance.
Semper Fi