PDA

View Full Version : Recruits with shin-splints

Blake
07-21-04, 09:23 PM
Hi, it's me again. Just curious, are there any Marines in here that had shinsplints before going to bootcamp? If so did you get by ok? I have one in the inside lower part of my right leg. I've actually gotten used to it to the point where it's just a nuiscance and the pain doesnt bother me all that much. I must admit it does have me worrying about how it's going to hold up at boot though. I imagine it'll be the least of my worrys, but if anyone has any tales about shin splints in bootcamp please tell me them. I'd appreciate it greatly.

ftrmarinemp
07-21-04, 10:16 PM
i dont know anyone personally but i had a couple people tell me that they had recruits in their platoons that had those and they graduated fine. They had to deal with more pain than everyone else but it didnt stop them. I have heard this about male and female recruits but im sure the severeness and all the factors in on something like this. sorry i couldnt help more thats all i know

mucho
07-24-04, 02:12 PM
i had shin splints, they sucked bad at boot, but you push through the pain, if their really bad now, you might end up with a stress fracture or something like that, mine never got to that point, but i tell you what, it does suck, but its nothing you cant push yourself though and overcome, on graduation day you'll see that all the pain was worth it!

CAR
08-07-04, 07:21 PM
Well, let me tell you from my experience. I had shin splints in bootcamp. They got better, worse, better and back again. I graduated no problem, and in time they got bad enough where I actually had stress fractures on both. Yep, it sucked.

Here is the thing- stretch them out and learn how to do it right. Ice them if they hurt now and heal as well as you can b4 you go. once your there, it won't really be possible to ice them but you can always stretch them. If the pain isn't too bad stretching them should help. If you have them now make sure you take care of them. Sounds like you should be ok though.

Good luck

Blake
08-07-04, 08:24 PM
Well it appears they have gone away, atleast for now anyways. I've read they are a common occurence in begginer runners, which is what I am. I dont know though, I dont want to get to confident but I have a feeling they wont effect me to bad in bootcamp.