PDA

View Full Version : Marines, Sailors warned against alcohol use

thedrifter
07-21-04, 08:09 AM
Marines, Sailors warned against alcohol use
Submitted by: I Marine Expeditionary Force
Story by: Computed Name: Lance Cpl. J.C. Guibord
Story Identification #: 20047207438

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq(July 20, 2004) -- Service members deployed to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom are in a 24-hour duty status. Whether it is a Saturday night or Tuesday afternoon, alcohol consumption in Iraq is handled as if the offender is drunk on the job.

With the frequency of direct and indirect fire attacks on coalition forces based in Iraq, a Marine’s sobriety might be the deciding factor in making decisions that could save his life or the life of a fellow Marine.

“A drunk Marine or Sailor would be ill-equipped to respond to a situation, whether it be operating a radio or driving a humvee,” said Lt. Cmdr. John R. Benjamin, the I Marine Expeditionary Force Headquarters Group medical officer.

Other possible adverse medical effects include loss of inhibitions, dehydration and risk of contamination, according to Benjamin.

A recent incident left one Sailor pondering the effects of alcohol consumption in a combat zone.

“I feel like I let the Marines whose health I am responsible for down,” said a corpsman with I MHG who was recently reprimanded for alcohol use.

For some service members deployed to Iraq, the inability to drink casually, like they would in the United States, is a difficult transition, but active duty military need to comply and abstain, said Sgt. Maj. Carlos R. Rios, the I MHG sergeant major.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/0/4461CFBAAE8284AB85256ED700405FBD?opendocument

Ellie

HardJedi
07-21-04, 09:41 AM
is this really something some people need to be TOLD? Not to drink in a combat zone? Lord. To me, anyway, that's a pretty common sense thing. People shooting at me, stay sober.

Namvet67
07-21-04, 10:11 AM
When I was in the bush, drinking was the last thing on my mind. It's all about paying attention when those rounds "to whom it may concern" start flying.