PDA

View Full Version : Overtraining

Blake
07-20-04, 12:06 AM
Sigh, it appears I've fallen victim to overtraining. I had about 20 pounds to lose and in the past 4 weeks I've managed to lose about 15 busting my butt running 2-3 times a day and eating sensible. Im feeling great, Im much skinnier and I start looking forward to every workout. Eventually however I noticed a massive decrease in my performance to where I could hardly run a mile without feeling like I was about to collapse and I generally lost interest in the excersises I was doing. Well I read up on it and I have infact not been giving my body sufficient time to recuperate because of overtraining. It's suggested that I take a couple weeks off and then start again, I cant do this though because I ship in a month or so and still have a few pounds to shed. Im scared of adding more weight while I take a break...my recruiter recomends I alternate days and just continue running once a day wilst drinking loads of water. What does everyone think? What should I do? Im thinking about purchasing L-gultamine which is supposedly going to help my body recover much faster after each workout. I was really loving the intense workouts I had, now it feels like such a chore and I feel like Im doing my body more harm than good. This goes out to fellow poolees and Marines. I used to believe I was invincible when excersising, now I feel like something the cat dragged in. I know this problly sounds like more complaining than anything but it's not, I just want ya to understand what sitatuion Im in right now.

MillRatUSMC
07-20-04, 02:00 AM
Let the body recover by itself with the aid of any medicine.
The reason for that, you won't have any of the medicines you will be taking.
Than try to alter your workout.
A routine that get familiar, the body will adjust and than you will feel like some the cat dragged in because the body has adjusted to the demands you placed on it.
Sometime too much of a good thing is just as bad as not enough.
Exercise one day than rest the next day, trying different sports or exercises.
Your just five pounds from your goal!
Just keep on plugging...
You might enjoy reading the page below.
http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/fitnessheath.html

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

MillRatUSMC
07-20-04, 02:04 AM
Lets try this again left out a "l"in the URL that why it saying can't locate the page requested...
Let the body recover by itself without the aid of any medicine.
The reason for that, you won't have any of the medicines you will be taking.
Than try to alter your workout.
A routine that get familiar, the body will adjust and than you will feel like some the cat dragged in because the body has adjusted to the demands you placed on it.
Sometime too much of a good thing is just as bad as not enough.
Exercise one day than rest the next day, trying different sports or exercises.
Your just five pounds from your goal!
Just keep on plugging...
You might enjoy reading the page below.
http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/fitnesshealth.html

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
Ricardo

HardJedi
07-20-04, 02:08 AM
5 pound is all you have to lose? hell, that's just a healthy dump in the morning! LOL.

Look seriously. If you just stay way from junk food, and soda, and MODERATLEY exercise, you could lose 5 pounds in a week. Believe me, I KNOW.

Namvet67
07-20-04, 08:52 AM
You need to take a break...every other day should be plenty for you now....Soon you will not get this opportunity. It will be a daily grind. don't worry about the 5 pounds. Get ready mentally. Semper Fi

Blake
07-20-04, 10:17 AM
Thankyou guys very much, your suggestions and thoughts have helped ease my worry. I've become obssessed about every little pound now. If it werent for me being about to ship I problly would of never started running, now I cant get enough of it. It's become something I really enjoy doing. The good thing is that I have layed off the fast food, cokes, and other junk. I might have a few ritz crackers now and then, besides that I've been mainly eating tuna, fruits, and drinking protein drinks. Alot of this stems from a worry that I'll gain wait again if not working out though, I lost it so fast so Im afraid I'll gain it back just as fast. Honestly, I was expecting more of a butt chewing. Maybe an "I cant hack it", or "shouldnt bother". I think you guys understand Im a very hard worker, just my body is not catching up with my mind fast enough.

And MillRat, thanks for the link. I'll defintally be taking a look at it.

HardJedi
07-20-04, 03:21 PM
You are welcome. and don't worry about the five pounds, like I said. It WILL come off. and your body will adapt. As for the butt chewings? why would we do that? Usually the only people that get that from us are know-it-all little punks :D