PDA

View Full Version : Martha Stewart prepared for prison

Sparrowhawk
07-19-04, 08:28 PM
Prison Would Give Stewart New Lifestyle

Email this Story

Jul 18, 6:02 AM (ET)

By MATT APUZZO

(AP) Martha Stewart appears outside Manhattan federal court after her sentencing Friday July 16, 2004. ...
Full Image

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) - The Danbury Federal Correctional Institution is only about 20 miles from Martha Stewart's home in Connecticut, but it will seem like a world away from her usual lifestyle.

If Stewart loses her appeals, she will in all likelihood end up at the low-security prison that is home to 1,300 female inmates.

The queen of high-thread-count sheets will get military-style linens for her bunk bed. She will have to trade in her wardrobe for prison khaki jumpsuits. She could get stuck on kitchen detail - backbreaking work that pays about 12 cents an hour and requires inmates to be up before the crack of dawn.

The women at Danbury have been closely following Stewart's legal saga and anticipating her arrival for months.

"I can guarantee you they're watching anything or everything concerning Martha," Joyce Ellwanger of Milwaukee, who served time last year there for trespassing during a military protest demonstration, said Friday. "I'm sure it will be the prime topic of conversation at the table at Danbury."

Stewart was sentenced Friday to five months in prison and five months of home confinement for lying about a stock sale that has tarnished her media empire.

A federal judge said he would recommend she serve her time in Danbury. The federal Bureau of Prisons has the final say, although officials try to place inmates within 500 miles of home.

For now, the sentence has been delayed pending an appeal.

Stewart's living situation will depend on whether she is assigned to Danbury's barracks-style prison camp or to its traditional cellblock housing. Either way, Stewart, 62, will have to spend her nights in a bunk bed.

"She's lived a millionaire life. I lived a poor life," said Dorothy Gaines, 45, who served time at Danbury before President Clinton commuted her drug sentence in 2000. "She's going to have to live like I lived."

Inmates can take classes, including crafts. The prison camp has a baseball field, volleyball net and walking track.

The woman who taught America how to decorate will not be able to decorate Danbury's concrete walls. Inmates can personalize their space only by hanging up to four photographs in their lockers.

Still, her homemaking talents could prove valuable: In some parts of the prison, inmates with the cleanest cells get to eat meals first.

It has been called Club Fed, but all inmates are required to work. They can request certain jobs such as plumbing, electrical or maintenance work. New arrivals and those with short sentences tend to get kitchen work, but unlike Stewart's television cooking demonstrations, this is a strenuous job that can require being up by 4 a.m.

"It's only five months, but it's still going to be prison," Gaines said. "She's still going to have to adjust to her new life, adjust to the fact that she has nothing."

She will still have an edge over some of the other inmates, Gaines said.

"Her home will still be there when she gets out," she said. "She won't have the struggles of trying to go find a job and being turned down because she's a convicted felon. She won't know what it's like to apply for housing and get turned down because she's a convicted felon."

Most people in low-security prisons are there for drug crimes. About 4 percent are white-collar criminals, according to the Bureau of Prisons. Danbury's famous inmates have included Watergate figure G. Gordon Liddy and New York hotel queen Leona Helmsley.

"You meet judges and accountants, but you also meet the murderers," Gaines said.

Sporting a new tattoo, Martha Stewart says, She will be
designing a new line of clothing for gang members behind
bars, K-Mart will have exclusive right to the new
fashion she said. The tattoo on her neck will help her
identify with women in prison.

thedrifter
07-19-04, 08:36 PM
In my opinion she is getting off easy.....If it was one of us.....We would have been given a longer time period......

Ellie

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/MarthaStewartSentenced/images/ofarrell.gif

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/MarthaStewartSentenced/images/powell.gif

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/MarthaStewartSentenced/images/darkow.gif

Sgted
07-19-04, 11:08 PM
She has yet to acknowledge any regret for her actions.
She is arrogant and a prime example of when having enough is really not enough (greed).
Meanwhile, her fans feel sorry for her.
And I feel sorry for them.
All of us need to practice morality.
But when you are such a big icon you need to try harder to set an example.
She didn't.
Too bad.
As Sparrowhawk said.
If it were one of us the sentence would have most likely been more harsh.
In America these days, really bad behavoir by people on pedistals only results in more fame & fortune.
After sentencing, out on the courthouse steps, bemoaning her plight, she urged the public to buy the magazine.
She certainly wasen't handcuffed in the court room and led to her cell like you & I would have been.
She will not be incarcerated for another 2 - 5 months.
We've lost something in this society just in my short time on this planet.

HardJedi
07-20-04, 02:10 AM
I'm glad she is going away! my ex wife was a huge fan of hers, and it must just kill her LOL:banana:

DSchmitke
07-20-04, 05:18 AM
GOOD BYE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WITCH

Tude
07-20-04, 03:44 PM
Really know Martha Stewart?? I think not !!!!!

Much ,much more goes on in our country and it is just sweep

under the rug.

"Let he who is without Sin, cast the First Stone"

My opinion ,I think she is a Smart and Remarkable women.

God Bless All
Jimmy/Tude

HardJedi
07-20-04, 04:37 PM
LORD! so? the fact is she got off light. she is , or at least WAS smart. then she got caught. :D

yellowwing
07-20-04, 05:02 PM
I personally don't know Martha Stewart,
but this Lady knows that Martha is a properly convicted felon!
http://www.state.vt.us/tax/justice.jpg

The blindfold, the Scales of Justice, and yes that is a sword in the other hand!

GySgtRet
07-20-04, 05:22 PM
yellowwing,

Why is there a drap all over lady liberty? Is that because the attorney general doesn't like the un drapped version?

Semper Fidelis

yellowwing
07-20-04, 05:26 PM
There's an undraped version? I borrowed this from the State of Vermont Taxes page.

HardJedi
07-20-04, 06:10 PM
that's NOT lady liberty! LOL that's JUSTICE!:evilgrin:

Sgted
07-20-04, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Tude
Really know Martha Stewart?? I think not !!!!!

Much ,much more goes on in our country and it is just sweep

under the rug.

"Let he who is without Sin, cast the First Stone"

My opinion ,I think she is a Smart and Remarkable women.

God Bless All
Jimmy/Tude

I believe that Martha was a "smart" and "remarkable" woman but not smart & remarkable enough to keep her out of the brig.

Many of the worst criminals in history were family people, active in their communities, good Mom's & Dad's and upstanding citizens.

Just because there are far more serious "white collar" crimes that are "swept under the rug" does not absolve her lying to line her pockets a little more (called felony).

Additionally, I hold to my guns that people like Martha, held in high esteem by her followers and fans, need to try much harder than you and I to resist these temptations there-by setting an example for the rest of us.

I wonder if many who defend her would feel the same if the known felon were a shool teacher, track coach, Boy Scout leader or the low wage earner coming into ones home to clean.

Fact is, many jobs are unattainable if you are a felon.
White collar or otherwise !!

I have no sympathy for her and feel very strongly that the maximum sentence should have been handed down (a mere 14 months).

I do not care if you are rich or poor, work hard or lay around, are cute or ugly, justice is justice......period !!!

Thats why theres a blindfold on the statue. It's supposed to be the same for all of us, but, sadly, it's not.

She's lucky.
And the folks that think it's OK for her to do this but not OK for others need to set up some standards in their lives and live by them.

CAR
07-20-04, 07:34 PM
Well said Sgt Ed.

I know that as a cop I am always held to a higher standard. If I lie in court or to investigators my career is over. Almost anything for that matter.

It is truly unfortunate that today in our country, people with fame and money ARE treated differently. They get lighter sentences and are generally lifted to a "martyr" status by their fans and most media. I have seen it up close and personal, and though I know it is a big generalization, it happens too often.

We not only pay for these long drawn out trials with our tax money but our society pays as we slowly chip away at our moral boundries.

Do I feel sorry for Martha... not even a little bit. She did it, nobody made her, her arrogance got her further in to hot water and now I should feel bad that she has to do a whole 5 months in the pen and then five months in one of her six homes... poor thing, does she not get room service. Personally I don't think she'll serve any time, some liberal judge will reduce her sentence or better yet over turn her conviction. Please, do you think YOU would recieve the same treatment.

We have a problem in this country with our Justice system and if we don't fix it anarchy will come to rule.

PS- FYI for Jimmy - I don't know OJ Simpson either but I know he sees the real killer every morning in the mirror, glove or no glove. And if you really think he didn't do it.... I've got some marijuana you don't even have to inhale-- to sell. Thanks Bill

Sgted
07-20-04, 07:49 PM
CAR......
Right on my friend.
Law enforcement officers are among the most scrutinized public service employees.
Like the prison scandal in Iraq, a few bad eggs in law enforcement marks all as bad. This results in making the job much harder.
Not so when you can make a beautiful place setting and floral arrangement out of just one pine cone and some bird droppings.
Add a little attitude and......POOF!!!!....... you can do no wrong even if you broke the law. You'll still be our Martha.
Incredible.

hrscowboy
07-22-04, 01:36 AM
appeal she says. what i would love to see that she gets her appeal and found guilty again and gets a stiffer sentence other than 5 months that would make my day...

gwladgarwr
07-22-04, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by hrscowboy
appeal she says. what i would love to see that she gets her appeal and found guilty again and gets a stiffer sentence other than 5 months that would make my day...

Martha could be as guilty as sin, but I'm not really concerned about that. I don't know for a fact she lied or did a little insider trading.

If you're so all about the law and wanting to string her up, you'd also remember that under OUR laws, you can't be found guilty twice for the same crime (double jeopardy). You can be tried a second time ONLY if the first conviction is thrown out for whatever reason. If you're judged guilty on the second trial, sucks to be you.

On appeal, the convicted person can ask to have the conviction and sentence overturned; if successful, the accused goes free. If appeal is rejected, the original sentence is upheld (you don't get extra time or pay a higher fine because you lose your appeal.)

Just remember: you say you're all about the law and wanting it to be upheld, but I hear whispers in some of these threads that are run so counter to our Constitution. Please reconsider some of your thoughts.

P. M. SHEEHAN
07-22-04, 11:24 AM
She can't get a stiffer sentence if she loses her appeal. That would be "double jeopardy". She simply goes to jail for the 5 months. You can't be sentenced twice for the same crime.