PDA

View Full Version : What can I do to prepare for The Island

RobertH
09-29-02, 10:34 PM
What specific thing can I do to ensure I'm ready for boot? What will prepare me the most?

wrbones
09-29-02, 11:07 PM
Then read dang near everything on this sites threads. Then put yer search engine to USMC Home page. Lots of info on the het. I'm sure SixGuns'll be around to answer yer questions more specifically. He gots the latest sitrep on things for ya.

Sixguns
09-30-02, 05:08 PM
Read as much as you can about the Corps and its history. A good book to pick up is "Making Marines" by Thomas Ricks. Get in some form of PT at least every other day. Particularly the running, pull ups and crunches. Do well in school and avoid the negative influences that may pop up or tempt you. Do the right thing. Conduct yourself as a Marine even though you have not earned the title. Stay connected to this site and we can help you to get ready.

RobertH
10-01-02, 11:25 AM
I've been working throught the book. As for PT. I run cross country, so the running is no sweat. We do 110-150 pushups (in groups 15-20) and crunches the same way. The stayin outa trouble....that'll be a little hard cause I'm a smart arse, one big thing my sargent has told me to get over quick...or the DI's will eat me alive

thedrifter
10-01-02, 07:20 PM
Bones and Sixguns, looks like we might just have to send RobertH a care package when he goes to boot camp. Already have a nice stock of cakes and candy..............HE HE HE HE
I didn't forget get about the gum..............HE HE HE HE

Sempers,

Roger

CAS3
10-02-02, 11:59 AM
Of Avon Skin So Soft!!!
The rest is a piece of cake. The DI's will break you down and build you up into a MARINE.

USMC-FO
10-02-02, 02:18 PM
Robert H...seems to me you're in good shape BUT lose the "smart arse" attitude or you'll be in a deep s**t.

Drifter...you're a sick puppy..Cake !! Reminds me of of one of my fellow boots in 62--Pvt Rao--Mom sent him a care package including two packages of Oreo cookies. DI's saw those and felt since Rao "would not share" them he would have to eat both packages in front of us quickly, which he did. He then had to wash all this down with a canteen of warm water AND since he was now a "Fat turd" he would be best advised to start doing some bend and thrust's....NOW !!! He did for about a minute at which point well you guessed it...up came the cookies! Or the "tossed cookies"...

What a hoot !!

Robert H. make sure to tell mom or your friends to send NOTHING while you're at the Island.

Good Luck.

limitdliability
10-13-02, 11:21 PM
i know it may not be that important, and im not trying to show anyone up or anything, but the book by Thomas E. Ricks is titled 'Making the Corps', not 'Making Marines.' Nonetheless the book is excellent and is filled with alot of great knowledge that is very vital and can help you to learn what to expect. I have read it a number of times. Good Luck

firstsgtmike
10-14-02, 12:17 AM
Son, let me tell you something.

Making the Corps IS Making Marines.

And Making Marines IS Making the Corps.

There is NO WAY one can exist without the other.

I've seen a drawing of a chicken in bed with an egg. The frustrated chicken looks over at the satiated sleeping egg and declares; "Well, I guess that answers THAT question!"

Read the book again, and understand that "becoming" has a much better payoff than "learning about".

ALSO: "limitdliability" denies responsibility. If MCRD is successful, you will prefer a new name for yourself. One that says, "THIS is who and what I am. Do YOU have a problem with that? If you do, FIX it."

Talk to me/us when you return as a Marine. I look forward to welcoming you into the brotherhood.

Semper Fi

limitdliability
10-14-02, 03:43 PM
sorry but u read way too much into my post. i was just saying that he addressed the book by the wrong title. i wasnt trying to pick a fight or be judged by my username. Just to let you know, I choose my username using the name of my paintball team, it does not reflect me as a person. Im not 'denying responsibility' for anything, its just a team name that my friends and i liked. i also do understand that becoming is better than learning, but i am not able to become yet, so the next best thing is learning in preperation. i respect what your saying about one not existing witout the other, but that isnt what i was addressing. thanks

KEYDET
10-17-02, 11:14 AM
I've heard of that book sooo much but yet to find it. Does anyone know of usual place that keeps them? I've been to three county libraries and 2 book stores. :banana:

Cynrose
10-17-02, 02:33 PM
You can ask one of your local bookstores to order it. Or you can order it online from borders.com or bn.com or amazon.com.

Cyn