PDA

View Full Version : African-American Marine pioneer honored at 2004 NAACP convention

thedrifter
07-17-04, 06:10 AM
African-American Marine pioneer honored at 2004 NAACP convention
Submitted by: Marine Corps Recruiting Command
Story Identification #: 2004716155644
Story by Staff Sgt. Marc Ayalin

PHILADELPHIA(July 13, 2004) -- An African-American Marine pioneer who helped pave the way for generations of black military service members was honored July 13, at an NAACP Youth Advisor’s luncheon held during the 95th Annual NAACP Convention.

More than 500 NAACP Youth Advisors, high school and college students and a handful of Marines from across the country celebrated the achievements of former Marine Captain and pioneer Frederick C. Branch, by presenting him with a citation from the mayor of the city of Philadelphia for his accomplishments in leadership. Branch, who was commissioned as the first black Marine officer in 1945, could not attend the luncheon due to ill health. Members of the Montford Point Marine Association accepted the award on his behalf.

“At first, Fred Branch did not set out to be a leader and pioneer, he just set out to excel and better himself,” said Joe Geeter, national vice president of the Montford Point Marine Association. “But by doing so, most Marines have looked up to him – most Marines consider his success their success.”

Captain Branch began his military career at Montford Point, S.C. and served with the 51st Defense Battalion in the South Pacific. As a Private First Class, he was selected to attend the Navy’s V-12 program at Purdue University where he made the dean’s list. Subsequently, he attended the 16th Platoon Commander’s Class in Quantico, Va. Branch was the only African-American in a class of 250 officer candidates.

After the awards presentation, several NAACP members commented on how Marines like Branch and Sergeant Major “Hashmark” Johnson, one of the first African-American Marine drill instructors, have made an impact in the African American community.

“This just reaffirms what we already know – they led the way for us,” said Robert Howard, president and director of the Southeast Section of the NAACP North County San Diego branch #1086. “The example set by the Montford Point Marines gives me something that I can say to my children under trying circumstances – you can do it and there are no excuses.”

In addition to honoring Branch and recognizing African-American Marine achievements, BGen. Cornell A. Wilson Jr., commanding general, II Marine Expeditionary Force Augmentation Command Element (II MACE), Camp Lejeune, N.C., was the keynote speaker for the luncheon. During his speech, Wilson stressed the importance of being passionate about education and opportunity, preparing for the future and maintaining individual perseverance.

“You need to prepare yourselves by doing all the right things that are required for you to do the job you are passionate about,” Wilson said.

For more information regarding Capt. Branch and other Montford Point Marines, visit www.montfordpointmarines.com and www.mpma28.com.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2004716152525/$file/2004_NAACP_YOUTH001LOW.jpg

Left, Brandon T. Neal, national director of the Youth and College Division, NAACP and Stefanie Brown, right, National Youth Council Coordinator, NAACP, presented Brig. Gen. Cornell A. Wilson Jr., commanding general of Marine Expeditionary Force Augmentation Command Element (II MACE), Camp Lejeune, N.C., with a plaque during a Youth Advisor’s luncheon held during the 95th Annual NAACP convention in Philadelphia July 10-15, 2004. Photo by: SSgt. Marc Ayalin

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/D301E959E9186E6385256ED3006D9081?opendocument

Ellie

thedrifter
07-17-04, 06:11 AM
Marines participate in 2004 NAACP Convention
Submitted by: Marine Corps Recruiting Command
Story Identification #: 200471616555
Story by Staff Sgt. Marc Ayalin

PHILADELPHIA(July 15, 2004) -- The 'City of Brotherly Love' was host to the 95th Annual NAACP Convention July 10-15, here, and the Marines were on hand to showcase the achievements of diversity within the ranks of the United States Marine Corps.

More than 15,000 visitors, NAACP members and exhibitors from across the country filled the Philadelphia convention center to participate in an event-filled week of information sharing, education and celebration with the nation’s oldest civil rights organization. Representatives from Marine Corps Recruiting Command (MCRC) took the opportunity to develop relationships with leaders and influencers in the African-American community.

“Our efforts during this convention helped to generate interest about opportunities for service as well as inform influencers about how diverse and multi-faceted our Corps has become,” said Capt. Marc V. Cole, diversity-marketing officer for MCRC.

In order to leverage recruiting efforts nationwide, the convention allowed Marine recruiters time to meet with participants and explain the benefits of serving in the Marines.
“The military provides diverse cultures a means to level the playing field,” said Roslyn M. Brock, vice-chairman, board of directors for the NAACP.

As participants navigated through a maze of corporate and private vendor booths and information kiosks, the Marines manned an interactive information booth that drew large crowds of people curious to see who could do the most pull-ups.

“It wasn’t easy,” said 15-year-old Marc Jackson from Chicago, Ill. “The pull-ups really called for muscular endurance and pure upper body strength.”

While men and women of all ages took their turn at the pull-up bar, convention participants interested in the Marines took a moment to study a Marine Corps historical display set up at the Armed Forces information pavilion within the convention center. The Marine display consisted of photos and biographies of past and present African-American Marines who made great achievements and paved the way for African-American Marines.

“We are here to share the history and traditions of our service,” said LtCol. Denice T. Williams, an equal opportunity program officer for Manpower Plan and Policies Division (MP). “This is where we have gone, how far we’ve come and what’s available.”

The historical display made an impact on one former military service member who was adamant that serving in the Marine Corps offers equal opportunity.

“I think the military handles diversity better as a whole,” said Greg Vazquez, former Army soldier and a Delaware resident. “I worked on Wall Street for twenty-three years and I had to always constantly prove myself as being better or one step ahead. Whereas when I was in the service, I had more respect for what I accomplished.”

The Montford Point Marines Association also made a lasting impression on NAACP members during a Youth Advisor’s luncheon that honored Captain Ferderick C. Branch, the first African-American officer in the Corps. Branch was presented with an award by the city of Philadelphia for his pioneering efforts in paving the way for blacks serving in the military.

“Because of the Montford Point Marines and the Tuskeegee Airmen, we have opportunities in the military,” said Robert Howard, president and director of the Southeast Section of the NAACP North County San Diego branch #1086.

Local Philadelphians received special guests at their Sunday worship as five Marines from MCRC attended in full dress blue attire. Doris Reddick, a member of the Tindley Temple United Methodist Church, invited the Marines whom she met at the conference.

“I’ve never seen a black female Marine until that day,” Reddick said. “I worry about you guys so much that I wanted them here to pray for them.”

During the worship, the Marines received a blessing from the church pastor that seemed to bring them a sense of goodness.

“I felt real proud to be invited to this church and receive a warm welcome like we did,” said GySgt. Charissa R. Howard, administrative chief for prior service recruiting.

The Marine Corps has participated in the last three NAACP conventions because of the high exposure it offers Marine recruiting efforts while also allowing the Marine Corps the opportunity to keep the African-American community informed. NAACP officials look forward to next year’s convention and are confident in their relationship with the armed services.

“We’ve had a long standing relationship with the military,” Brock said. “I hope that this relationship will continue to grow.”

Marine Corps Recruiting continues to seek out opportunities is to ensure that people across America become aware of the benefits of serving in the Marine Corps.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200471615246/$file/2004_NAACP003LOW.jpg

PHILADELPHIA--A wall of Marines gathered at the 95th Annual NAACP convention for the opening day ceremony held July 12. Photo by: SSgt. Marc Ayalin

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn2000.nsf/main5/2EFAC3B4546FCA8D85256ED3006E67EC?opendocument

Ellie